Lance Armstrong to open bike shop

Old March 14th 08, 08:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Lance Armstrong to open bike shop

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...ar08/mar14news

"
Armstrong will cater to serious road racers with top end Trek bikes,
similar to those Armstrong rode on his seven consecutive Tour de
France victories, but also wants the shop to have wide appeal. He has
plans to sell mountain bikes, commuter bikes, fixed wheels, low
riders, handmade one-offs, and triathlon bikes.
"

I wonder if he'll be a dealer for bikes with legendary ride quality
like these:
http://www.lemondbikes.com/
Old March 14th 08, 08:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

zzfranklin wrote:
I wonder if he'll be a dealer for bikes with legendary ride quality like
these:
http://www.lemondbikes.com/

And will he have this guy as a partner:
http://www.statesman.com/sports/cont...11/5lance.html

Old March 14th 08, 10:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Baldwin

Donald Munro asks

And will he have this guy as a partner:
http://www.statesman.com/sports/cont...11/5lance.html

... mechanic, driver, travel assistant and pool boy...you gotta admit,
the guy is handier than Cato Calin...

Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

Old March 14th 08, 10:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fabrizio Mazzoleni[_2_]

On Mar 14, 1:49*am, Donald Munro wrote:
zzfranklin wrote:
I wonder if he'll be a dealer for bikes with legendary ride quality like
these:
http://www.lemondbikes.com/

That Lemond 'Sarthe' with the True Temper OX Steel frame
is one sweet bike. Only wish it was built with something
more like Dedacciai SAT 14.5 tubing.
Old March 14th 08, 11:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Mar 14, 4:24 am, wrote:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...ar08/mar14news

"
Armstrong will cater to serious road racers with top end Trek bikes,
similar to those Armstrong rode on his seven consecutive Tour de
France victories, but also wants the shop to have wide appeal. He has
plans to sell mountain bikes, commuter bikes, fixed wheels, low
riders, handmade one-offs, and triathlon bikes.
"

Any store that tries to do everything cycling-wise (commuters, racers,
mtn., low-riders ?) ends up sucking at everything.
Old March 16th 08, 03:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

If Lance is smart he won't run the shop or hire a consultant. Racing
and running a bike shop are different realms. One big advantage that
Lance has is that he actually rides a bike. I was always amazed at how
few people in the bike industry ride a bike. Most people in the bike
business don't ride at all. Another problem is that there is far to
little interaction between bicycle racing and bike business.

Old March 16th 08, 03:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bruce Gilbert[_3_]

wrote in message
If Lance is smart he won't run the shop or hire a consultant. Racing
and running a bike shop are different realms. One big advantage that
Lance has is that he actually rides a bike. I was always amazed at how
few people in the bike industry ride a bike. Most people in the bike
business don't ride at all. Another problem is that there is far to
little interaction between bicycle racing and bike business.

Most of the older folks in the bike business, who are the real players, are
a bit older than the racing crowd. The same phenomenon is true for a large
percentage of the people with the disposable income to buy the top end race
bikes. I believe your comment about most people in the bike business don't
ride is valid, to a degree. Most of us ride as much as they can. This exact
observation was very much on my mind during the last Interbike. I would
leave our booth to cruise the show and did observe how many wide-body
participants were in the aisles and behind the tables.

I read a book called "The New Wellness Revolution" which had a strong effect
on me. I now believe that in order for the bike business to really take off
in this country, it has to be bound up with adult wellness somehow. Bike
shops are not projecting or reinforcing that image very well and neither are
the bike manufacturers. How many bike company websites have a weight
loss/control program on their websites, or in the info packet? I wonder if
it is even practical in terms of liability, economics, etc.? Wouldn't it be
interesting if cycling based weight-loss programs started showing up in bike
shops. Race training information abounds in the bike world. Weight-loss and
wellness would be broader based and have a more universal appeal. There are
enough experts and good writers in this newsgroup alone, for a few folks to
put their minds together in order to form an effective company. Anyone
interested? If nothing else it would make a great marketing story...

I did recently see that the LAB has formed some sort of relationship with
AARP. Also, I have heard that there is a bike tour company somewhere that
does bus tours for retirees. They seem to hit a lot of the organized rides
around the country. That could be the start of low-cost wellness-oriented
vacationing. Interesting idea...

Bruce

Old March 16th 08, 06:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bruce Gilbert[_3_]

"David B." wrote in message
Bruce Gilbert wrote:
I read a book called "The New Wellness Revolution" which had a

strong effect
on me. I now believe that in order for the bike business to really take

off
in this country, it has to be bound up with adult wellness somehow. Bike
shops are not projecting or reinforcing that image very well and neither

are
the bike manufacturers. How many bike company websites have a weight
loss/control program on their websites, or in the info packet?

Bruce

Terry just did a webcast on weight control and biking and they've posted
it on their website.

http://www.terrybicycles.com/seminar.html

I haven't watched it by my wife did. It was originally broadcast live
and they got so many more folks trying to log on than they'd planned for
that the server crashed.
Of course Terry's for girls so it would have little effect on what guys
want.

David

They make men's seats too... there is hope for the company!

Bruce

Old March 17th 08, 03:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Mar 16, 8:03 am, "Bruce Gilbert" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

One of the big challenges for cycling is to get more kids riding
again. Many kids don't ride their bikes to school because of traffic
and parents fear of crime. The ASO sponsored a TDF themed series of
cycling contests around France a few years back. This the sort of
thing the bike industry and the NBDA (national bicycle dealers
association) needs to get involved in. The would help with the
wellness issue you speak of.