Cyclist with young kids on board - safely

Old May 21st 13, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Alang

Default Cyclist with young kids on board - safely

On Tue, 21 May 2013 02:02:18 -0700 (PDT), pensive hamster
wrote:

On May 21, 8:21*am, Dave-Cyclists VORT
wrote:
On 20/05/2013 20:57, Zapp Brannigan wrote:

"pensive hamster" wrote in message

Maybe some cyclists have a reasonable and well-founded fear of
motorists like this one:

The Norwich woman's tweet on Sunday morning read: "Definitely knocked
a cyclist off his bike earlier.

"I have right of way - he doesn't even pay road tax! #Bloodycyclists."

Everyone has reasonable and well-founded fear of someone as ****witted
as she appears to be. *It would be poetically just if she was banned
from driving and had to resort to a bicycle.

Nothing ****witted about that at all, the lady is 100% correct.

100% correct about what? That she has right of way?

Also, it turns out he was racing;

"Toby Hockley was on the 100-mile Boudicca Sportive ride in Norfolk on
Sunday when he was struck by a car and flung into a hedge, he said.
Mr Hockley, 29, of Norwich, was riding with Iceni Velo cycling club on a
narrow country lane, about five miles away from the end of the route at
Snetterton".

http://road.cc/content/news/84212-no...lision-cyclist
[...]
"I was riding on a country B-road with a friend, and descending a hill
on a blind right hand corner", Toby told us. "I was sticking to the
left as the corner was blind. A car came round in the opposite
direction going much too quickly to make the corner safely. It missed
the rider in front of me but hit me, my right leg caught the front
right wing. I was thrown up onto the bonnet, I hit the side of
windsrceen and the wing mirror. I bounced back off the car and went
through a hedge for about 20 metres. I managed to keep control of the
bike; the back brake had locked on but I managed to rejoin the road
and stop in the middle of it"

Sounds as if he was riding recklessly
Old May 21st 13, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Mrcheerful[_3_]

wrote:
[...]

story seems to vary a lot too.

Old May 21st 13, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
nik.morgan[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

What's he complaining about, he didn't even get knocked off, he, in his own
words, "managed to keep control of the bike"?
--
ennemm
Old May 21st 13, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Dave-Cyclists VORT

wrote:
On 20/05/2013 20:57, Zapp Brannigan wrote:

"pensive hamster" wrote in message

Maybe some cyclists have a reasonable and well-founded fear of
motorists like this one:

The Norwich woman's tweet on Sunday morning read: "Definitely knocked
a cyclist off his bike earlier.

"I have right of way - he doesn't even pay road tax! #Bloodycyclists."

Everyone has reasonable and well-founded fear of someone as ****witted
as she appears to be. It would be poetically just if she was banned
from driving and had to resort to a bicycle.

Nothing ****witted about that at all, the lady is 100% correct.

100% correct about what? That she has right of way?

Absolutely. Cyclist scum should not be racing on public roads.

[...]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-22602141
Twitter 'knocked off bike' cyclist 'lucky to be alive'

Mr Hockley, 29, of Norwich, was riding with Iceni Velo cycling club on
a narrow country lane, about five miles away from the end of the route
at Snetterton.

"A car came tearing round the blind corner and narrowly missed a
cyclist in front of me," he said.

"She came on to my side of the road, I took the wing mirror off and I
went flying off my bike into a hedge.

"She hit me hard, really hard. I am lucky to be alive.

"But I managed to get out of the hedge and stand up.

"The car was nowhere to be seen. She hit me, and she was gone.

"All I know is that it was a blonde girl driving."
[...]
The woman's Twitter account has been removed.

Norfolk Police said it was investigating and had spoken to both
parties.

Motorists pay £46 billion a year in extra taxes, specifically so they
can use the roads.

Cyclists pay the same as other zero-emission vehicles.

No they don't.

--
Dave-Cyclists VORT
Motorists pay £46 billion a year in extra taxes, specifically so they
can use the roads.
Less than £10 billion of this is spent on roads.
Q: Do you and your party support a new London-style bike plan for
Cambridgeshire?
A: No. This proposal amounts to theft from the people who pay to use
roads and the benefit given to those who don’t.
Old May 22nd 13, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
pensive hamster

On May 21, 6:45*pm, Dave-Cyclists VORT
wrote:
[...]
Motorists pay £46 billion a year in extra taxes, specifically so they
can use the roads.

Cyclists pay the same as other zero-emission vehicles.

No they don't.

I think you will find that they do:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_Excise_Duty#Cars

'Charges as applicable from 1 April 2011. For cars registered before 1
March 2001 the excise duty is based on engine size (£130 for vehicles
with a capacity of less than 1549cc, £220 for vehicles with larger
engines). For vehicles registered on or after 1 March 2001 charges are
based on theoretical CO2 emission rates per kilometre. The 'first year
rate' only applies in the year the vehicle was first registered and is
said by the government to be designed to send "a stronger signal to
the buyer about the environmental implications of their car purchase".
[7] Charges as applicable from 1 April 2011 a

'Car emission band Cost (£) Cost for first year (£)
Band A (up to 100 g/km) 0 0
Band B (101-110 g/km) 20 0
[...]'

http://ipayroadtax.com/bloody-tax-do...illions-of-em/
'According to the latest registration stats from the Department for
Transport, there are 57,000 cars in VED band A.'

How do you feel about the estimated 57,000 cars in VED band A, who pay
no VED. Do you think they have no right to use the road?

Old May 22nd 13, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Dave- Cyclists VORP

On 21/05/2013 23:50, Phil W Lee wrote:
AlanG considered Tue, 21 May 2013 13:28:26
+0100 the perfect time to write:

wrote:
[...]

Not in the least.

She, on the other hand, is clearly an oxygen thief.

He was the one racing on a public road.

Dangerous driving, not stopping after a collision (hardly an accident
- by her account it was at best reckless, and possibly deliberate).

She should have stopped & taken his details - so he could pay for the
wing mirror he damaged.

Possibly a case could be made for attempted murder.
She had no way of knowing if he was seriously injured, yet she
deliberately drove off and didn't summon medical aid.

Double espresso please.

She certainly should not be driving for the foreseeable future.

With the level of maturity she has shown I'd hesitate to allow her
access to sharp objects.

--
Dave - Cyclists VORP
"It is time for us to say to cyclists 'You want to join our gang, get
Old May 22nd 13, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Dave-Cyclists VORT

On 22/05/2013 14:30, pensive hamster wrote:
On May 21, 6:45 pm, Dave-Cyclists VORT
wrote:
[...]
Motorists pay £46 billion a year in extra taxes, specifically so they
can use the roads.

Cyclists pay the same as other zero-emission vehicles.

No they don't.

I think you will find that they do:

"estimated 57,000" Less than 0:2% of the cars on the road.

--
Dave-Cyclists VORT
Motorists pay £46 billion a year in extra taxes, specifically so they
can use the roads.
Less than £10 billion of this is spent on roads.
Q: Do you and your party support a new London-style bike plan for
Cambridgeshire?
A: No. This proposal amounts to theft from the people who pay to use
roads and the benefit given to those who don’t.
Old May 23rd 13, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Sun, 19 May 2013 11:31:49 +0000 (UTC)
Ian Smith wrote:

On Sun, 19 May 2013 02:12:55 -0700 (PDT), CJB
wrote:

But if the bike had run into the back of a suddenly stopping car
(like they do),

Do they? I don't think I've ever seen or experienced a bike running
into the back of a car. Cars seems to run into the back of cars
quite regularly (I'm frequently hearing of multiple pile-ups, and
indeed have been in the middle of one myself), but it's not a crash
scenario that bicycles seem prone to.

I only recall experiencing it once - young lad on a club run was riding
head-down up a long steep hill and slowly rode into (I think it was) a
parked van. He was wearing a helmet - had he not been then he might
have seen the thing, although I suspect he learned the wisdom of
looking up every so often, if you're ever going to ride head-down.

Old May 25th 13, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

snip

Of course - only a ****witted cyclist would wear a helmet over his eyes.

--
Wearing a cycle helmet will not kill you.

Another young cyclist injured Paul Boyd UK 31 December 12th 06 01:55 PM
Young cyclist killed wafflycat UK 145 December 7th 06 12:33 PM
Young Cyclist Garrotted Rob UK 13 May 14th 06 05:56 PM
Young cyclist killed Brian General 208 February 12th 04 12:09 AM
Injured young cyclist dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers UK 8 December 4th 03 06:44 PM