Best BB for Campy Racing T

Old August 16th 04, 07:34 PM
Michael L.

Default Best BB for Campy Racing T

Questions for all you campagnolo experts:

I have a 9 speed (circa 2001-2002, not sure) campagnolo racing-T
crankset mounted on a Campy ACH 111mm bottom bracket. I'm looking for a
lighter-weight alternative to this bottom bracket (yes, I know the
weight differences aren't huge, but the ACH has a lot of wear on it, and
I'm ready to upgrade).

Am I correct that the CURRENT Campy Record Triple bottom bracket will
not work with the Racing-T, as it is an asymmetrical 111mm?

Were the older, mid-90's Record 111mm bottom brackets symmetrical, and
if so, would they work with the Racing-T? I have access to an NOS
Record bb of this era.

I've heard nothing but great things about Phil Wood bottom brackets.
Would I need the 110.5mm 'campagnolo specific' bb or the 111mm? How do
these compare to the ACH or the older campy Record?

On another, somewhat related subject: is there any significant
difference between my 9 speed racing-T cranks and the current campy 10
speed triples? I'm running 10 speed, and my front shifting is decent,
though sometimes hesitant going down into the small ring or up to the
largest ring while pedaling. Is the spacing on 10-speed-specific cranks
different, and would changing cranks make for better shifts? Perhaps I
just need to fine-tune my L-H screws on the front derailleur.

TIA
Michael
Old August 16th 04, 09:40 PM
JB TOTH

Am I correct that the CURRENT Campy Record Triple bottom bracket will
not work with the Racing-T, as it is an asymmetrical 111mm?
Not necessarily true. I have a Diamondback titanium frame with a Racing-T and
a Chorus 2003 model 111mm BB and it shifts much better than the Ultegra triple
setup that I had on this frame previously. I believe that the Chorus is the
same specs as the Record.

Jim Toth

Old August 17th 04, 03:02 AM
Alan

I just put a Phil Wood BB on as I was tired of the cheap Campy bbs wearing
out about once every year or so. I ride enough that they are disposable.
I'd ck with a LBS as my Phil was cheaper through my LBS than on the web.

Alan

Old August 17th 04, 02:26 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

michael- I have a 9 speed (circa 2001-2002, not sure) campagnolo racing-T
crankset mounted on a Campy ACH 111mm bottom bracket. I'm looking for a
lighter-weight alternative to this bottom bracket (yes, I know the
weight differences aren't huge, but the ACH has a lot of wear on it, and
I'm ready to upgrade). BRBR

Cannot use the Chorus or Record triple BB. Wait until 2005 stuff is out and get
the new Centaur 111mm BB. A Chorus unit with a 111mm BB spindle in it.

Or like you mentioned, a 111mm BB from the 80s/90s. Or a Phil Wood BB.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Old August 18th 04, 12:26 AM
Pete Biggs

Michael L. wrote:
I have a 9 speed (circa 2001-2002, not sure) campagnolo racing-T
crankset mounted on a Campy ACH 111mm bottom bracket. I'm looking
for a lighter-weight alternative to this bottom bracket (yes, I know
the weight differences aren't huge, but the ACH has a lot of wear on
it, and I'm ready to upgrade).

AC-H (AKA Centaur) BB is the best current Campagnolo BB that is properly
compatible with Racing T cranks (which requires a symetrical BB). Other
makes (including FSA) have lighter models but you'd have to risk using a
titanium spindle with the lightest ones.

Am I correct that the CURRENT Campy Record Triple bottom bracket will
not work with the Racing-T, as it is an asymmetrical 111mm?

The Racing T group is discontinued, but I believe the Racing T BB was the
same thing as the current Centaur BB (which is symetrical) or at least had
the same dimensions.

Were the older, mid-90's Record 111mm bottom brackets symmetrical, and
if so, would they work with the Racing-T? I have access to an NOS
Record bb of this era.

I've heard nothing but great things about Phil Wood bottom brackets.
Would I need the 110.5mm 'campagnolo specific' bb or the 111mm? How
do these compare to the ACH or the older campy Record?

111 would be required. Sorry I don't know about older Records or Phil
Woods.

On another, somewhat related subject: is there any significant
difference between my 9 speed racing-T cranks and the current campy 10
speed triples? I'm running 10 speed, and my front shifting is decent,
though sometimes hesitant going down into the small ring or up to the
largest ring while pedaling. Is the spacing on 10-speed-specific
cranks different, and would changing cranks make for better shifts?
Perhaps I just need to fine-tune my L-H screws on the front
derailleur.

I believe the actual crank arms of Racing T and Centaur triples are
virtually the same things, but there is some difference with the 9 and
10sp rings and spacing.

~PB