Cold weather clothing recommendations?

Old August 17th 04, 08:00 PM
Jee Doy

So dressing more warmly after the ride doesn't solve this problem.
Something fundamentally wrong happened to my body during the ride, even
though I didn't feel it at the time.

Interesting. Maybe its not the ride, its your body. The cooler temps while
riding might have triggered this episode.
Old August 17th 04, 11:26 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 15:06:50 GMT, "BruceW..1"
wrote:

After the aforementioned ride I got in my car and turned the heat up all
the way while I drove home, for the better part of an hour. I shivered
during most of this time even though it was blazing hot in the car.

Did you put a dry layer on against your skin? That's the most
critical thing to staying warm after working out -- being dry.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old August 18th 04, 02:18 AM
Collin

BruceW..1 wrote:
Bruce Frech wrote:

If you were warm enough while riding then you were dressed warm enough to
ride. It sounds like you needed to dress warmer after the ride was over,
since that's when you got cold. Note that your body is typically only
25% efficient producing power to the pedals. This means that if you
put out
200 watts then you also produce 600 to 800 watts of heat. When you
get off
the bike you likely reduce that heat output and thus you should either go
inside or put on warmer clothes.

Bruce

After the aforementioned ride I got in my car and turned the heat up all
the way while I drove home, for the better part of an hour. I shivered
during most of this time even though it was blazing hot in the car.

So dressing more warmly after the ride doesn't solve this problem.
Something fundamentally wrong happened to my body during the ride, even
though I didn't feel it at the time.

Check out these sites:

http://www.bikewinter.org/bikewinter...keclothing.php
http://www.joeclark.org/gearingup.html
http://users.rcn.com/icebike/Clothing/clothing.htm

Most are oriented toward commuting or Mountain Biking. But if it's for
fitness, don't worry about aerodynamics!

I think you're correct that food is an issue. If you are dressed with
light clothing, youre body needs to spend some of the food energy on
heat generation. Usually this is not a problem when exercising, but it
can be. So, by the end of the ride, you already were hypothermic. You
just didn't feel it until you slowed down, and it took a while for your
internal temperature to catch up on NO energy. I've seen two mildly
hypothermic people recover in about fifteen minutes after feeding them
something healthy and forcing them to drink properly. Incidentally,
shivering is good - it means you still have enough energy to move your
muscles, and your nervous system can properly detect temperature
imbalances. When you stop shivering but are still cold, it's time to
get attention immediately.

Also note that dehydration inhibits proper temperature regulation as
well. It's easy to become dehydrated in winter only because the need
for water is less apparent and people drink less. Your body still loses
moisture through breath and perspiration.