wheel creaking under load up a monocline

Old January 7th 07, 10:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Aussie

Default wheel creaking under load up a monocline

Hi,

This is where the new problem starts. My rear wheel starts creaking in
25 tooth gear under my 92 kg frame and 20 kg lpayload(it is not just my

lunch in the backpack although I must admit I love my food)

What could it be? Is it that I have the wrong force applied on the
cassette on installation? It only happens on the 25 tooth under load up

a climb. It occurs in and out of saddle. Any ideas??? I need to ride up

this hill every day to go home to my wife an family. I do not want to
destroy 3 wheels in 2 months!

Here is the background that has lead to me wanting help. I had an old
set of mavic open cd 4 which had rear wheel problems. I had it rebuild
in the last 6 months after a few seperate incidents of broken spokes on

the drive side. So I went to local bike shop after last major break
which cost me $75 just to get it one new spoke and the wheel trued (The

same bike shop quoted me $80 for a complete rebuild of wheel with new
spokes and nipples???).

So I have bite the bullet and bought a new wheelset. I now have a 9
speed Mavic Aksium rear being used on an old down tube 8 speed shifters

on friction. I have an old Ultegra 600 rear derauiller. The wheelset,
13-25 9 speed cassette and chain kit, Michelin tyres and tubes cost me
only $480 with postage from the UK!

On installation of new cassette and chain, the new chain caught on the
old Ultegra front deraullier and snapped "clean off" [al la Clint
Eastwood]. I now have an old Suntour GPX front deraullier which the
above bike shop sold to me for $20 after a little adjustment after
installation [good service guys!!!]. It works great now (no rubbing now

when on the small ring when in 25 tooth on the rear!!!).

So now my chain is clean and working, gears are working but now I go on

my first ride from Penrith to Glenbrook. The Lapstone Monocline is
unforgiving climb from the Lapstone turnoff to the local primary
school. This is where the creaking started noticeably (I was in denial
before then, it has been there all the time I have had the wheelset
going just hoping it was going to go away)

Old January 7th 07, 01:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

Try a little grease onto the freehub body and make sure the big spacer
supplied with those wheels is on first and the cogset is TIGHT!!

Old January 7th 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Bennett

In article .com,
"Aussie" wrote:

Hi,

This is where the new problem starts. My rear wheel starts creaking in
25 tooth gear under my 92 kg frame and 20 kg lpayload(it is not just my

lunch in the backpack although I must admit I love my food)

[snip]
my first ride from Penrith to Glenbrook. The Lapstone Monocline is
unforgiving climb from the Lapstone turnoff to the local primary
school. This is where the creaking started noticeably (I was in denial
before then, it has been there all the time I have had the wheelset
going just hoping it was going to go away)

Creaks can often seem to be coming from an area but are actually from
somewhere else. You might try greasing the stem, the handlebar/stem
interface, and the seat rails.

--
Ted Bennett
Old January 7th 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Warner

On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 20:17:24 GMT, Ted Bennett wrote:

Creaks can often seem to be coming from an area but are actually from
somewhere else. You might try greasing the stem, the handlebar/stem
interface, and the seat rails.

The ends of the seat rails are the most usual culprit for me - they
usually start up after a ride in the wet, thanks to spray from the back
wheel. A drop of lube fixes it.

Old January 8th 07, 02:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
G.T.

Michael Warner wrote:
On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 20:17:24 GMT, Ted Bennett wrote:

Creaks can often seem to be coming from an area but are actually from
somewhere else. You might try greasing the stem, the handlebar/stem
interface, and the seat rails.

The ends of the seat rails are the most usual culprit for me - they
usually start up after a ride in the wet, thanks to spray from the back
wheel. A drop of lube fixes it.

Yes, unless it's happening while standing I re-lube in this order:

1. Seat rail ends.
2. Seat rail to seatpost clamp.
3. Seatpost.

I've never had stem/steerer or stem/handlebar creaks.

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine

Creaking rear wheel... [email protected] Techniques 5 August 30th 06 05:36 AM
a load off pirate jenny Australia 0 October 2nd 05 10:38 AM
hub bearing pre-load? [email protected] Techniques 26 May 14th 05 09:01 PM
Wheel/Rim Creaking Joe Riel Techniques 34 January 21st 05 05:08 AM
Creaking Ksyrium front wheel Dan R H Techniques 8 October 3rd 04 02:50 PM