What would the Devil have driven?

Old January 10th 08, 09:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Amy Blankenship

Default What would the Devil have driven?

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"Amy Blankenship" wrote: (clip) However, it is NOT the way it is viewed
by
people who hold strong religious views, so approaching them with that
attitude will never sway them. (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
People who hold strong religious views generally have them because they
were brought up that way. The architecture of the brain is formed while
they are young, and they cannot usually free themselves from these
beliefs. Trying to dissuade them is pointless.

I was brought up VERY Southern Baptist.

Old January 10th 08, 09:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc, alt.planning.urban, rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides, uk.rec.cycling
Chalo

Amy Blankenship wrote:

Leo Lichtman wrote:

People who hold strong religious views generally have them because they
were brought up that way. The architecture of the brain is formed while
they are young, and they cannot usually free themselves from these
beliefs. Trying to dissuade them is pointless.

I was brought up VERY Southern Baptist.

I was brought up half-heartedly Southern Baptist. I'm glad to say I
am now fully cured of that ailment.

Maybe Southern Baptists should take up shunning or honor killings as a
way to improve retention.

Chalo
Old January 10th 08, 10:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Amy Blankenship

"Chalo" wrote in message
Amy Blankenship wrote:

Leo Lichtman wrote:

People who hold strong religious views generally have them because they
were brought up that way. The architecture of the brain is formed
while
they are young, and they cannot usually free themselves from these
beliefs. Trying to dissuade them is pointless.

I was brought up VERY Southern Baptist.

I was brought up half-heartedly Southern Baptist. I'm glad to say I
am now fully cured of that ailment.

Maybe Southern Baptists should take up shunning or honor killings as a
way to improve retention.

Must suck to be so bitter.

Old January 10th 08, 10:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Pob

"George Conklin" wrote in message

Since when was it decided that the son of god would have ridden a bike.
Personally I don't believe in any of the whole supreme being deal or the
devil for that matter. But if I did I would say the devil would have
driven something with an evil sounding name like "Viper"

Actually God drove a Plymouth, because it says in the bible, "And in his
Fury he drove them out."

Motorbike - "And the roar of His Triumph was heard over the land"

pob

Old January 10th 08, 10:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc, alt.planning.urban, rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides, uk.rec.cycling
Chalo

Amy Blankenship wrote:

Chalo wrote in message,

Amy Blankenship wrote:

I was brought up VERY Southern Baptist.

I was brought up half-heartedly Southern Baptist. I'm glad to say I
am now fully cured of that ailment.

Maybe Southern Baptists should take up shunning or honor killings as a
way to improve retention.

Must suck to be so bitter.

What would suck would be having to maintain any sort of regular
contact with the church or someone who was still in it. Since the
church over time managed to alienate my entire immediate family, I
don't have to do that. In fact, the Christian religion affects my
life only indirectly, like drug addiction or war. I have to bear the
cost of the generalized social affliction as much as anyone-- I live
in Texas, after all-- but I don't personally have to suffer from it or
watch someone close to me suffer from it.

Chalo
Old January 11th 08, 12:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Amy Blankenship

"Bill Sornson" wrote in message
And God save anyone who dares draw a cartoon...

Which one???

Old January 11th 08, 12:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
George Conklin

"Scott M. Kozel" wrote in message
donquijote1954 wrote:

"Scott M. Kozel" wrote:
donquijote1954 wrote:

Since it's pretty much settled that Jesus would have ridden a bike,
let's debate now what the Devil would have driven...

Either a red horse, or a pale horse ...

I thought Jesus would come on a white horse and the Devil in a Hummer.

No, Satan would come on a train.

Did you know that Honda has a problem with the bible too? It turns out the
New Testament says,
"And the disciples were all of one Accord."

Old January 11th 08, 01:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Chalo Colina wrote:
In the spirit of addressing the problem you actually have, taking the
**** out of Christholes is a lot more appropriate for intelligent
Americans to do than getting all bent out of shape about Muslims. I
mean, which one of those two equally hogwashy belief systems is really
damaging this country politically and culturally?

It is truly disturbing how many of the laws in the US have their origin
in fundamentalist/evangelical belief, and not the rational basis of
trading certain privileges for the betterment of society as a whole.
Separation of church and state my ass!

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people." A. Derleth
Old January 11th 08, 01:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Bill Sornson wrote:
Chalo wrote:
Bill Sornson wrote:
Chalo wrote:
Disabusing others of their ridiculous notions is a righteous act,
even if it's often ineffective.
As long as they're Christians, Jews, Catholics, Mormons,
Scientologists, right? I bet you (and the "cultural you") wouldn't
DARE mock or deride a Muslim.

You'd lose that bet. Crackpot religions are crackpot religions. The
Prophet Mohammed (PBUH), if you read about his life and works, comes
off every bit as much of a huckster and a con artist as Joseph Smith,
just slightly less perverted and a lot more bloodthirsty. And Islam
has had centuries longer than Mormonism for highly-placed but
psychologically damaged individuals to reach deep into their rectums
and draw forth pearls of "wisdom" that become enshrined as dogma and/
or laws.

Believing that it's a bad idea to pick a pointlessly destructive fight
with the entire Islamic world is not the same as cutting them slack
for their ludicrous religion.

In the spirit of addressing the problem you actually have, taking the
**** out of Christholes is a lot more appropriate for intelligent
Americans to do than getting all bent out of shape about Muslims. I
mean, which one of those two equally hogwashy belief systems is really
damaging this country politically and culturally?

Your answer to Amy betrays your bitterness. I'm no church-goer by any
means, but I have no problem with those who are (as long as they leave me
alone, which they do without exception). This imagined "damage" done by the
so-called Christian Right is mainly a media-driven myth. They're not my cup
of tea, but they're more charitable and perform more selfless service than
pretty much any other group you can name....

The reason the US is so full of "sexual predators" is due to the
excessive repression of normal childhood behavior, which leads to
fetishisms; some of which involve others and are not harmless.

Historically, US laws regulating behavior that goes beyond interfering
in the rights of others (paternalistic laws) have been promoted and
passed by self-proclaimed "Christians". This behavior is not a thing of
the past.

So no, the "Christian" right does NOT leave others alone.

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people." A. Derleth
Old January 11th 08, 02:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc, alt.planning.urban, rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides, uk.rec.cycling
donquijote1954

On Jan 10, 3:13 pm, "Bill Sornson" wrote:
Chalo wrote:
Disabusing others of their ridiculous notions is a righteous act, even
if it's often ineffective.

As long as they're Christians, Jews, Catholics, Mormons, Scientologists,
right? I bet you (and the "cultural you") wouldn't DARE mock or deride a
Muslim.

Some Christians already did while sitting smilingly on top of naked
Muslims.

And much of the rest didn't make a fuss about it either.

It's all about intimidation and agendas.

BS (piled up and getting deeper)

No, it's not about agendas, it's about SUVs and hypocrisy. And about
the lack of bike facilities, which doesn't seem to be in the Christian
agenda. God's agenda is abortion and gay marriage. Oh, and winning the
war in Iraq.

Hand driven Unicycle fontiminal Unicycling 15 December 11th 08 10:45 AM
What would the Devil have driven? donquijote1954 General 109 January 22nd 08 02:28 AM
chain driven question tjheller Unicycling 7 November 8th 06 07:02 AM
Chain driven dynamo? Chris Eilbeck UK 8 September 28th 06 06:36 PM
Chain driven question glopal Unicycling 5 September 13th 03 02:04 PM