change to drop bars

Old August 18th 04, 03:43 AM
Boatman

Default change to drop bars

I have a Rayleigh C40 which has "hybrid" type handlebars. I'd like to
consider the possibility of changing them to a roadie drop style. This will
probably require changing either or both the brake levers and shifters. Is
this project reasonable? I'd like to keep the cost under $100. Is that
possible?

Boatman

Old August 18th 04, 05:29 AM
Ken

"Boatman" wrote in news:OnzUc.142612$8_6.111962
@attbi_s04:
I have a Rayleigh C40 which has "hybrid" type handlebars. I'd like to
consider the possibility of changing them to a roadie drop style. This will
probably require changing either or both the brake levers and shifters. Is
this project reasonable? I'd like to keep the cost under $100. Is that
possible?

Maybe if you can find used parts and do the labor yourself.
Old August 18th 04, 05:42 AM
Dan Daniel

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 02:43:58 GMT, "Boatman"
wrote:

I have a Rayleigh C40 which has "hybrid" type handlebars. I'd like to
consider the possibility of changing them to a roadie drop style. This will
probably require changing either or both the brake levers and shifters. Is
this project reasonable? I'd like to keep the cost under $100. Is that
possible?

Boatman

Let's see-

Possibly a new stem because most road bars will be 26.0, not 25.4- $20
Bars- $20?
Brake levers- $20 (Tektro aero levers, or used levers)(do you have
v-brakes??? That's a problem.)
Bar End shifters- $40

If you go to STI shifter/brake levers, you'll need to replace the
front derailleur. That's why bar end shifters are your best bet.

Cables and housing- $10?

Bar tape- $10

Labor- ???

Old August 18th 04, 02:37 PM
Boatman

wrote:

I have a Rayleigh C40 which has "hybrid" type handlebars. I'd like to
consider the possibility of changing them to a roadie drop style.
This will probably require changing either or both the brake levers
and shifters. Is this project reasonable? I'd like to keep the cost
under $100. Is that possible?

Boatman

Let's see-

Possibly a new stem because most road bars will be 26.0, not 25.4- $20
Bars- $20?
Brake levers- $20 (Tektro aero levers, or used levers)(do you have
v-brakes??? That's a problem.)
Bar End shifters- $40

If you go to STI shifter/brake levers, you'll need to replace the
front derailleur. That's why bar end shifters are your best bet.

Cables and housing- $10?

Bar tape- $10

Labor- ???

Sounds like it's going to come in over $100, but I'll look in to it. Maybe
my local wrench has a few used parts lying around. I can see my limited
knowledge isn't going to allow me to do it. Thanks!

Boatman

Old August 18th 04, 02:38 PM
Boatman

wrote:

I have a Rayleigh C40 which has "hybrid" type handlebars. I'd like to
consider the possibility of changing them to a roadie drop style.
This will probably require changing either or both the brake levers
and shifters. Is this project reasonable? I'd like to keep the cost
under $100. Is that possible?

Boatman

Let's see-

Possibly a new stem because most road bars will be 26.0, not 25.4- $20
Bars- $20?
Brake levers- $20 (Tektro aero levers, or used levers)(do you have
v-brakes??? That's a problem.)
Bar End shifters- $40

If you go to STI shifter/brake levers, you'll need to replace the
front derailleur. That's why bar end shifters are your best bet.

Cables and housing- $10?

Bar tape- $10

Labor- ???

BTW, what's the problem with V brakes? I think that's what I have.

Boatman

Old August 18th 04, 04:44 PM
Kevin Saff

"Boatman" wrote in message
I have a Rayleigh C40 which has "hybrid" type handlebars. I'd like to
consider the possibility of changing them to a roadie drop style. This

will
probably require changing either or both the brake levers and shifters. Is
this project reasonable? I'd like to keep the cost under $100. Is that
possible?

Boatman

Boatman, I've been looking into this a little. Although you can find a few
success stories, doing a google groups search on "mountain bike drop bars"
is discouraging:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=mo...=Google+Search

Most threads conclude this is only a reasonable conversion if you already
have most of the spare parts - even then, you might still be better off just
buying or building a simple road bike.

--
+---- Kevin C. Saff ----+ F-15 | |Eagle

Old August 18th 04, 04:49 PM
Dan Daniel

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 13:38:50 GMT, "Boatman"
wrote:

BTW, what's the problem with V brakes? I think that's what I have.

Boatman

They require a different amount of cable pull than road or cantilever
brakes. Typical road brake levers don't work with v-brakes.
Old August 18th 04, 05:34 PM
Phil Brown

Boatman, I've been looking into this a little. Although you can find a
few
success stories, doing a google groups search on "mountain bike drop bars"
is discouraging:

Most threads conclude this is only a reasonable conversion if you already
have most of the spare parts - even then, you might still be better off
just
buying or building a simple road bike.

--

Well. here's the deal. If you need new parts and have to pay the shop to do the
conversion it'll cost a bunch. but with used parts from a friendly LBS and your