Shimano 8sp STI to 10sp? OR 8sp cassette on new wheel?

Old July 12th 07, 05:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Paris

Default Shimano 8sp STI to 10sp? OR 8sp cassette on new wheel?

I have the 8 speed Shimano Ultegra (600) STI groupo from the mid 90s,
mounted on a Kestral 200EMS. My wheels weigh a ton, and I want to get some
new ones, likely the Easton Ascent II. I couldn't really care less about
having the extra 4 gears, but all these new wheels have hubs for 10 speed
cassettes. Will my 8speed cassette fit on those hubs? If not, what do I
need to convert my bike to a 10 speed cassette? I'd obviously need at
least a new rear derailer, and chain, but will I also need new STI levers?
If so the idea is probably out... Thanks,

David
Old July 12th 07, 06:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nigel Cliffe

David Paris wrote:
I have the 8 speed Shimano Ultegra (600) STI groupo from the mid 90s,
mounted on a Kestral 200EMS. My wheels weigh a ton, and I want to get
some new ones, likely the Easton Ascent II. I couldn't really care
less about having the extra 4 gears, but all these new wheels have
hubs for 10 speed cassettes. Will my 8speed cassette fit on those
hubs? If not, what do I need to convert my bike to a 10 speed
cassette? I'd obviously need at least a new rear derailer, and chain,
but will I also need new STI levers? If so the idea is probably
out... Thanks,

An 8 Speed cassette should fit a 10 speed Shimano hub.

http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#10cassettes

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Old July 13th 07, 01:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Jul 12, 10:13 am, David Paris wrote:
I have the 8 speed Shimano Ultegra (600) STI groupo from the mid 90s,
mounted on a Kestral 200EMS. My wheels weigh a ton, and I want to get some
new ones, likely the Easton Ascent II. I couldn't really care less about
having the extra 4 gears, but all these new wheels have hubs for 10 speed
cassettes. Will my 8speed cassette fit on those hubs? If not, what do I
need to convert my bike to a 10 speed cassette? I'd obviously need at
least a new rear derailer, and chain, but will I also need new STI levers?
If so the idea is probably out... Thanks,

David

Few(none?) aftermarket, non shimano wheels are shimano 10s ONLY. Most
are fine with 8/9/10s cogsets. The Easton can accept your 8s cogset.