Please Tell Me Why They Don't Make THIS!

Old July 17th 05, 04:30 AM
NYC XYZ

Default Please Tell Me Why They Don't Make THIS!

Hi, All:

Why doesn't anyone make a recumbent with ALL these features?

26/26 wheels

alu/carb-fi/ti frame

disc brakes

28 lbs.

***USS***

***SWB***

rear/front/dual suspension option

good adjustable seat with lumbar support and bag in back

AAAAAGGGRRRHHHHH!!

Old July 17th 05, 04:50 AM
Vee

NYC XYZ wrote:
Hi, All:

Why doesn't anyone make a recumbent with ALL these features?

26/26 wheels

alu/carb-fi/ti frame

disc brakes

28 lbs.

***USS***

***SWB***

rear/front/dual suspension option

good adjustable seat with lumbar support and bag in back

AAAAAGGGRRRHHHHH!!

This almost meets your criteria:
http://www.norco.com/05_us/bikes/vps_us.php
(Check out the Team DH.)

Reclined position, big wheels, suspension and disc brakes. I doubt you
could get down to 28 lbs, but some 26x1" tires and boutique wheels
would make it a little zippier.

-Vee

Old July 17th 05, 04:53 AM
JeffWills

Where have you looked?

I was out for a ride with a bunch of my recumbent-riding friends. One
of them had a Reynolds T-Bone with dual 700C wheels. From what I can
see, these have also been made with dual-26" wheels:
http://www.reynoldsweldlabs.com/Pict...ics2/Pics2.htm

He's also built 20"/700C bikes with USS, and he'll customize the bike
to your tastes. There was one of these on today's ride, also.

Jeff

Old July 17th 05, 06:47 AM
Werehatrack

On 16 Jul 2005 20:30:32 -0700, "NYC XYZ"
wrote:

Hi, All:

Why doesn't anyone make a recumbent with ALL these features?

26/26 wheels

alu/carb-fi/ti frame

What, all three?

disc brakes

Easily added to many; standard on some.

28 lbs.

***USS***

***SWB***

rear/front/dual suspension option

good adjustable seat with lumbar support and bag in back

How much did you say you wanted to spend, again?

Some 'bent builders would have no problem filling this order (with the
possible exception of the weight), but since 'bents aren't a major
component of the off-the-shelf offerings at most bike shops, I can see
why you'd have trouble finding one ready-made.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old July 17th 05, 11:17 AM
Buck

On 07/17/2005 04:30:32 "NYC XYZ" wrote:

Why doesn't anyone make a recumbent with ALL these features?

26/26 wheels

alu/carb-fi/ti frame

disc brakes

28 lbs.

***USS***

***SWB***

rear/front/dual suspension option

good adjustable seat with lumbar support and bag in back

AAAAAGGGRRRHHHHH!!

They do, it is called the Challenge Seiran.

--

Buck

I would rather be out on my Catrike

http://www.catrike.co.uk
Old July 17th 05, 02:24 PM
db.

NYC XYZ wrote:
Hi, All:

Why doesn't anyone make a recumbent with ALL these features?

26/26 wheels

alu/carb-fi/ti frame

disc brakes

28 lbs.

***USS***

***SWB***

rear/front/dual suspension option

good adjustable seat with lumbar support and bag in back

AAAAAGGGRRRHHHHH!!

I have a similar interest in what you're looking for and I"m leaning
towards the Nazca Pioneer It has rear suspension and suppose you could
shock fork the front..for seat adjustment like what you are looking for
there's the AZUB Extreme. I don't think you'll get what you want right
out of the box...What fun would that be?

my 2¢
db
Old July 17th 05, 02:58 PM
NYC XYZ

db. wrote:

I have a similar interest in what you're looking for and I"m leaning
towards the Nazca Pioneer

Looks good, but "door problemen met de server is onze website momenteel
helaas niet te bereiken."

It has rear suspension and suppose you could
shock fork the front..for seat adjustment like what you are looking for
there's the AZUB Extreme.

Yeah, unfortunately that thing's like, what, around 40 lbs.????

Besides, not sure how to order one in the US...seems all their dealers
are non-English-speaking.

I don't think you'll get what you want right
out of the box...What fun would that be?

Um...I get to ride the bike?

my 2¢
db

Thanks for the advice!

Old July 17th 05, 03:06 PM
NYC XYZ

Hmmm...looks good...but what's the weight of the bike? Doesn't say on
Challenge's site.

(And thanks for the ref! I saw this on bicycleman.com but I had seen a
picture of the OSS variant only.)

Old July 17th 05, 03:14 PM
NYC XYZ

Werehatrack wrote:

What, all three?

No, either one of the three (as usually denoted by the slash). =)

Easily added to many; standard on some.

Well, okay, cool, then. Just didn't want to have to order a set and
discard the V-brakes that seem to usually come standard.

How much did you say you wanted to spend, again?

Well, as less as possible. But I'm just curious if there's any such
creature out there. Surely there must be a HUGE ('bent) market for all
those features in one bike!

Some 'bent builders would have no problem filling this order (with the
possible exception of the weight), but since 'bents aren't a major
component of the off-the-shelf offerings at most bike shops, I can see
why you'd have trouble finding one ready-made.

That's just the thing, though...I'm assuming that a lighter bike is an
inherently good thing, and alum/ti/carb-fi is strong...the USS is a
more "natural" position and seems to accord well with the physics of a
'bent (center of gravity issues and all that)...an adjustable seat with
good lumbar support is also a no-brainer, as well as making that seat
"double" with a built-in bag or pack behind it...disc brakes, for
power...26" wheels for speed and height/vantage-point...SWB for
manuverability...what's to argue with any of these criterion?

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Old July 17th 05, 03:19 PM
NYC XYZ

JeffWills wrote:
Where have you looked?

All over...the local NYC 'bent club's website's links...various
manufacturers...the local 'bent dealer...etc.

I was out for a ride with a bunch of my recumbent-riding friends. One
of them had a Reynolds T-Bone with dual 700C wheels. From what I can
see, these have also been made with dual-26" wheels:
http://www.reynoldsweldlabs.com/Pict...ics2/Pics2.htm

Hey, cool! Didn't know Reynolds did 26/26 USS...but you know, looking
at those pics, I have to wonder -- what's up with the posture? I'm
totally new to 'bents (fooled ya, huh? LOL) and craning the neck like
that looks extremely uncomfortable!

He's also built 20"/700C bikes with USS, and he'll customize the bike
to your tastes. There was one of these on today's ride, also.

Jeff

Hey, thanks for the ref! But those don't look like SWBs, which I want
since I'm assuming those are more manuverable....