MTB - Need new chain + cassette

Old September 14th 05, 02:09 AM
1013

Default MTB - Need new chain + cassette

My Avanti Barracuda MTB is due for a new chain since my current chain has
stretched a fair amount.

Is it true that you must replace the cassette at the same time as you
replace the chain in order for them to "mesh" properly?

My bike currently has a Shimano 9-speed cassette on it (not sure of the
exact specs). The 05 Barracuda comes with the Shimano CS-HG50 11-32 9spd.

What should I be looking at spending for a new one? Is $100 reasonable? I
assume the more expensive cassette are lighter.

Are there any good websites to compare chain/cassette prices online?

Thanks for your help.

Old September 14th 05, 02:11 AM
1013

I forgot to mention that my MTB has slick tyres as I do mainly road riding.
Is it possible to change the gearing to assist the slicks - I currently run
out of gears?

Old September 14th 05, 02:28 AM
GPLama

"1013" wrote in message ...
Is it true that you must replace the cassette at the same time as you
replace the chain in order for them to "mesh" properly?

Yep

What should I be looking at spending for a new one? Is $100 reasonable? I
assume the more expensive cassette are lighter.

Yep

Are there any good websites to compare chain/cassette prices online?

www.probikekit.com
www.freedommachine.com.au
www.phantomcycles.com.au

I won't mention the 'c' word.. though they are a good reference point of
what NOT to pay

Gearing is up to you.. you may need to drop a few links from the chain if
you change to lower gears... I'm no expert in this area...

As for chains, grab a Wipperman/Connex.. best chains around IMHO and the
little link thingy means easy removal for cleaning..

cheers,
GPL

Old September 14th 05, 03:02 AM
Dancier

1013 Wrote:
My Avanti Barracuda MTB is due for a new chain since my current chain
has stretched a fair amount.

Is it true that you must replace the cassette at the same time as you
replace the chain in order for them to "mesh" properly?

My bike currently has a Shimano 9-speed cassette on it (not sure of the
exact specs). The 05 Barracuda comes with the Shimano CS-HG50 11-32
9spd.

What should I be looking at spending for a new one? Is $100 reasonable?
assume the more expensive cassette are lighter.

Are there any good websites to compare chain/cassette prices online?

Thanks for your help.

My Avanti Barracuda is just in for another bottom end refit. This seems
to happen every 8000k or so. You will find that it's not only the chain
and cassette that need replacing but also a few chainrings and bottom
bracket.

I not sure about changing the gearing, I am happy with the gearing at
present.

--
Dancier

Old September 14th 05, 03:04 AM
SomeGuy

1013 Wrote:
Is it possible to change the gearing to assist the slicks - I currently
run out of gears?

If you've already got an 11-32, no. Your best bet would be to get
something like a Shimano 105 road crankset, which has a 52 big ring vs
44 on your MTB. You'll lose your easier gears though - basically the
smallest (easyist) ring on a road triple crank will be the same as the
middle ring on a MTB crank.

--
SomeGuy

Old September 14th 05, 06:01 AM
Resound

"1013" wrote in message
My Avanti Barracuda MTB is due for a new chain since my current chain has
stretched a fair amount.

Is it true that you must replace the cassette at the same time as you
replace the chain in order for them to "mesh" properly?

My bike currently has a Shimano 9-speed cassette on it (not sure of the
exact specs). The 05 Barracuda comes with the Shimano CS-HG50 11-32 9spd.

What should I be looking at spending for a new one? Is $100 reasonable? I
assume the more expensive cassette are lighter.

Are there any good websites to compare chain/cassette prices online?

Thanks for your help.

It's going to depend how badly you've worn the chain. You should get more
than one chain per cassette. I would have thought that the weight of a
cassette wouldn't make any significant difference, especially on a MTB.

Old September 14th 05, 06:06 AM
Bikesoiler

SomeGuy Wrote:
If you've already got an 11-32, no. Your best bet would be to get
something like a Shimano 105 road crankset, which has a 52 big ring vs
44 on your MTB. You'll lose your easier gears though - basically the
smallest (easyist) ring on a road triple crank will be the same as the
middle ring on a MTB crank.

Why replace the whole crankset? It should be possible to get larger
chainwheel/s to fit the existing cranks. A 48 should do & you shouldn't
need to also change the front derailleur.
OTOH if you're under geared on an MTB that's only used on the road, why
not get a road bike. Save your MTB for the dirt.

--
Bikesoiler

Old September 14th 05, 06:43 AM
GPLama

"Bikesoiler" wrote in message ...

OTOH if you're under geared on an MTB that's only used on the road, why
not get a road bike. Save your MTB for the dirt.

As a dirtless MTB rider I can answer this one.. #1 strength, #2 braking
power... Riding 80% shard paths on my commute, I find a road bike crumples
when hitting unrestrained dogs, where as running them down on the MTB gives
a 'bag of bones' end result and keeps on going..

Riding at night with a number of blind corners also sometimes requires quick
off-road action and/or stopping distances that are not achievable on a
roadie..

cheers,
GPL

Old September 14th 05, 06:52 AM
Paulie-AU

There is a substantial weight saving if you move up to a shimano XT rear
cassette.

I have never had to replace a cassette because I kept an eye on my
chain wear. Every MTB (2 riders) in my garage has an XT 9 speed
cassette which have been going for years.

I reckon you should spring the dollars for an XT and then be nice to it
(watch for chain wear) and you will have it for a long time. I also
really like the wipperman chains. The 904 is a good chain at a nice
price.

--
Paulie-AU

Old September 14th 05, 07:07 AM
Jules

As a dirtless MTB rider I can answer this one.. #1 strength, #2 braking
power... Riding 80% shard paths on my commute, I find a road bike crumples
when hitting unrestrained dogs, where as running them down on the MTB gives
a 'bag of bones' end result and keeps on going..

Riding at night with a number of blind corners also sometimes requires quick
off-road action and/or stopping distances that are not achievable on a
roadie..

Definintely agree with most of that. Would add to it: price both of the
bike itself and replacement parts. Nice roadie bits are a lot more
exxy. Comfort is also a factor for a commuter, as is ease of accessory
mounting (mudguards, racks, etc).