bike clipping and ticketing

Old November 4th 05, 05:43 PM
NYC XYZ

Default bike clipping and ticketing

justindavid wrote:
On 3 Nov 2005 10:28:39 -0500, (Steven M. O'Neill)

Old November 4th 05, 08:03 PM
justindavid

(
[...]

I had gotten several tickets during the Giuliani administration; in
fact when I was stopped on 1st Ave. and ticketed and was loudly
complaining about the stupidity of it all, the officer agreed and told
me that it was because of Giuliani's insistence that cyclists were
getting ticketed.

I think the city would like to see cyclists go away; it doesn't cost
anything to ride your bike,we park for free, we don't take a cab or
train or bus. The city sees views us much like they view the
homeless; we don't pay our fair extravagant share to live here.
Old November 4th 05, 09:02 PM
NYC XYZ

justindavid wrote:

I had gotten several tickets during the Giuliani administration; in
fact when I was stopped on 1st Ave. and ticketed and was loudly
complaining about the stupidity of it all, the officer agreed and told
me that it was because of Giuliani's insistence that cyclists were
getting ticketed.

I don't trust cops...he's probably making up his monthly quota that
last weekend and trying to make it seem like Ghouliani's fault. The
worst I've ever heard -- besides a few much-publicized cases in the
news -- was cops letting the air out of the wheels of folks who rode on
the sidewalk in Manhattan.

I think the city would like to see cyclists go away; it doesn't cost
anything to ride your bike,we park for free, we don't take a cab or
train or bus. The city sees views us much like they view the
homeless; we don't pay our fair extravagant share to live here.

It's really crazy. On the one hand bike paths are being added, and
there's a healthy if not especially strong cycling lobby, but on the
other hand cyclists are targeted like we cause traffic jams and
accidents!

Sorry to hear about your experiences....

Old November 4th 05, 11:14 PM
Andy Gee

"NYC XYZ" wrote in
oups.com:

I must say, though...I've never gotten any hassle from the NYPD
concerning my bike, even when I was a bike messenger for half a summer
during Ghouliani's tenure! Very surprised this is going on, though
this City seems oddly bike-hostile in many weird ways.

The people driving in Manhattan are from the burbs, so they are dazed,
confused, unused to our ways, and lack confidence in their own driving
skills. They project their insecurity as hostility to cyclists and
anything else.

Pedestrians experience fast cyclists like Space Mountain at Disney: It's
really very safe and tame for a roller coaster, but because of the cramped
space and odd lighting, it _seems_ dangerous and scary. There's the
hostility.

The only times I get stopped by the cops is when I'm riding one of my
strange vehicles, and then only rarely. They really just want to make sure
whatever it is I'm riding has a brake.

I haven't noticed the ticket blitz, but I'll note anything I see.

--ag
Old November 5th 05, 06:38 AM
Ron Johnson

If you think that the NYPD or another City agency recently took your
bike, contact T.A. We are investigating legal action to stop the City
from taking legally parked bikes,

they only take the ones that are worth something, so make sure you only ride
a Huffy in NYC

Old November 5th 05, 02:57 PM
Pat

What is bike clipping?

Pat in TX

Old November 5th 05, 07:07 PM

Old November 5th 05, 07:26 PM
Bob

Pat wrote:
What is bike clipping?

Pat in TX

From the context, I'm guessing it's a slang term meaning to cut the

lock and remove the bike but I guess it could mean their bikes were
neutered or possibly murdered. g

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Old November 5th 05, 09:15 PM
justindavid

[...]

....going through a steady red.

Old November 6th 05, 01:56 AM
Ed Ravin

Default bike ticketing

From somewhere in cyberspace, " said:

Ticketed for what?

The recent ticket blitz on 6th Ave was for all sorts of offenses, some
real, some imaginary - we received reports of red light tickets, wrong way,
but also "missing reflectors", "failure to use bicycle lane", and "missing
bell".
--
Ed Ravin | "The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as
| well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the
eravin@ | streets, and to steal bread."
panix.com | --Anatole France, Le Lys Rouge [1894]