One way to support cyclocross

Old September 14th 07, 12:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bill C

Default One way to support cyclocross

On Sep 13, 7:39 pm, Bill C wrote:

Love Dale and Ann and have nothing but good things to say about RAD.
My only complaint is that they were just getting started when we were
living out there, and then we went back to Germany.
I'd still take where we are in New England over Puyallup, but not by
much. Living in Tacoma we had great riding, bike shops, minor league
baseball, people, etc... Fantastic place to live as long as the
politics don't make you nuts, same as it is here, but RAD really
stands alone as a MAJOR Jrs. program that puts ALL the kids first.
Bill C

Gotta add a PS.
Chris Harnisch tried to do something similar on a smaller scale here
and got crucified by the old guard here who were incredibly threatened
by his success. Fernando Cuevas also runs a really good, do it right
as people, team. Unfortunately, the last I knew, he's battling serious
health problems and he's one of the really good people in cycling.
Bill C

Old September 14th 07, 04:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Scott

On Sep 12, 6:31 pm, Bill C wrote:
On Sep 12, 12:40 am, Bret wrote:

http://americancycling.org/documents...n_flyer_BW.pdf

Not the best way to do it. Cross, with the Cub Jrs. category, is a
great natural progression for kids, loets them ride their mtbs to get
in. It's massively lower key and has a much smaller percentage of
assholes, or at least they are more mellow during the season. It's
easy to stick 700-23/25 clincher cross tires on a road bike, and this
is good enough to start racing for anything kids are likely to have
fun doing. They get to do all kinds of things, as part of the event,
that they are told NOT to do with a road bike. Helps the "cool"
factor. All it takes is a couple of people to do some grass rides and
skills stuff with the kids. Much better to bring the kids and parents
along to the race, when you're racing, and walk them through the whole
procedure. There are programs and people out there willing to spend
the cash to support kids too, including one of our former, fairly
regulars J.D. Bilodeau who's putting up entry fees for the mid-
atlantic and is always willing to help out too.
Money's good. A little time and effort is a lot more fun and
rewarding. Cross absolutely rocks for Cub Jrs!
Bill C

Bill,

Don't be so quick to judge. The folks at ACA have dedicated countless
hours to all manner of activities for kids to get into 'cross, most
notably running a VERY popular camp at the YMCA of the Rockies outside
of Winter Park and running a team of sorts for the kid 'crossers. The
request for money is just one more step in the development of bigger
and better programs. The ACA program is a huge success.

Old September 14th 07, 12:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bill C

On Sep 13, 11:43 pm, Scott wrote:
On Sep 12, 6:31 pm, Bill C wrote:

On Sep 12, 12:40 am, Bret wrote:

[...]

and better programs. The ACA program is a huge success.- Hide quoted text -

That's really cool. Hope they have tons of success.
Bill C

Old September 14th 07, 04:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Frank Drackman

"Bill C" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 13, 7:39 pm, Bill C wrote:

[...]

Dale and Anne are two of the most positive, optimistic people that I know.
It seems that their enthusiasm for racing and training is infectious to the
people around them. I know that there are many kids racing bicycles because
their lives intersected with one of them.