places to buy in australia (or to ship to australia)

Old December 27th 05, 11:48 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default places to buy in australia (or to ship to australia)

hey everyone

i'm a n00b, and i'm in australia. i'd like to learn to ride a unicycle,
but i don't know anyone in my city (perth) who has one, i've never even
seen street performers on one, so i can't ask to borrow anyone's to
learn and then buy.

i want to use it for riding to work, so on roads and pavements, as well
as maybe one day doing some tricks on it? i guess if i'm good enough.
and hopefully for some sideshow performance type stuff. basically a
fairly average type unicycle, tho i'm not entirely sure what all the
different types are.

i've been to unicycle.au, and looked at their catalogue. according to
my height, i'd need a 24" wheel one. with the book, and i think
shipping/courier, it comes to about $190. i've also been in to some
bike stores, and they said it would cost around $190-$200 to ship it
from over east too, but i wouldn't get a nifty little book with it.

so, does anyone have any other suggestions? bike stores or chains in
australia with knowledgeable unicycle people? other online places that
ship to australia for a reasonable price? good places to get unicycle
books/help?

suggestions muchly appreciated, thanks in advance
janey

--
janey
janey's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11392

Old December 27th 05, 01:53 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Try www.unicycles.com.au . I used to work for Gary, the owner back when
he was running a bike shop. He should be really helpful.

Klaas Bil and I wrote a short instruction document on unicycling. It's
available for free here - www.unicycle.2ya.com . If that site's still
not running (one that Peter van Boekhout and I made...currently being
transferred to a different host) you can get a copy from here -
http://www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/Learn_unicycling.pdf . Check out both
those sites for tips on riding and other skills.

Good luck,
Andrew

--
andrew_carter

...well that's what i think anyway.
*'unicycling tips and tutorials' (http://www.unicycle.2ya.com) |
'my photos and videos' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/andrew) |
'\\"dancing about architecture\\"'
(http://www.dancingaboutarchitecture.com.au)* (coming soon...)

Old December 28th 05, 07:27 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

andrew_carter wrote:
you can get a copy from here -
http://www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/Learn_unicycling.pdf . Check out both
those sites for tips on riding and other skills.

For the tips on my site, I'd suggest the url
http://www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/uni_beginners.htm . From there, you can
download said pdf file too, and get some context at the same time.

--
Klaas Bil
Klaas Bil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3442

Old December 28th 05, 10:32 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

You can always try Unicycle.com Australia:
http://www.unicycle.au.com/

Take your Uni over to Rottnest- it's a nice little island for a day
ride.

--
GizmoDuck

'www.adventureunicyclist.com' (http://www.adventureunicyclist.com/)
'Laos Unicycle Tour' (http://www.laosunitour.org)
'New Zealand Unicycle Federation' (http://www.unicycle.org.nz)

"It's not a unicycle ride if it's less than 30km." - note to self

Old December 28th 05, 10:41 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

hey,
the funny thing is, is that i used to be in the same little dilema as
it sounds you are in at the moment. I live in melbourne in australia!
Wen i first wanted to start riding a uni, i went to the local bike shop
and they had a 20" little road uni, which i got for $160, it kept up
with me for about a few months while i learnt the basic skills but then
i wanted to do more stuff, like hop off picnic tables and things, then
the cranks bent and it started getting weak.
2 years later unicycle.com got a distributor out here in aus, which
made my day, so now i am getting a KH20" Trials uni from them.
So i reckon you shouldnt bother with the local bike shops, they arent
much help at all! Go straight to unicycle.au.com, they know what they r
talking about and they have everything a beginner needs and they also
have a toll free phone number for u to talk to them!!

--
trials2k

Live and Die on a uni **
trials2k's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11354

Old December 28th 05, 11:02 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Sorry Klaas, I should have linked better.

Old December 28th 05, 11:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Hi,

I am happy to quote. Send me an email if you want. I have access to
most of the gear available in Australia.

The next statement is very generalised I must admit, but most bike
shops (not all) usually don't seem interested in stocking anything
except the beginners unicycles. I think it costs them to hold the stock
and they don't turnover very fast. They also see them as an oddity. I
have a Nimbus Muni on consignment in a friend's bike shop and it hasn't
attracted much interest. Bikers only think two wheels.

Mal
www.municycle.com.au

--
onebyone

Bill Blogs is an alien!
www.municycle.com.au
onebyone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10014

Old December 29th 05, 02:08 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

If you live in perth, then I guess that the best place to buy from would
be 'www.circusshop.net' (http://www.circusshop.com) seeing as the shop
is in perth. They sell nimbus and standard unicycles.

Edit: I also see that they have a library of circus books including two
on unicycling http://www.circusshop.net/Library/Bibliography/UZ.htm

--
ur

Unicycling Revolution - JOIN THE REVOLUTION TODAY!
ur's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4199

Old December 29th 05, 02:50 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

onebyone wrote:
Bikers only think two wheels.

I was a MTB rider before unicycling, then I saw the MTB movie "New World
Disorder" with Kris Holm's section. Maybe you should get the bike
shops to stock New World Disorder or any of the other ones with Kris in
them (or even one of the unicycling movies) and put a unicycle next to
it.

Andrew

Old December 29th 05, 07:46 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I have swapped TWNR with a few of my local bike shops for small favours
and repairs. I am sure they have looked at it, I hope they have.

Bike shops are friendly places, but "bike Shops"!! I get along with my
locals just fine. Even though I am not spending big money like a new
$5000.00 MTB or road bike, the still have great gear like helmets,
tires, pedals etc which helps me to part with my hard earned $s and
generally nice people to talk to.

Just recently one of my local bike shops threaded some pedal bushes for
my impending 36UW. Left and right threads, bike standards etc for
nicks.