cycling.tv harmful on-line ads

Old September 7th 07, 07:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

Default cycling.tv harmful on-line ads

Halverde wrote:
I believe the problem has now been solved.
You should be able to enjoy this weekend's
racing in relative safety.

Relativity is a dangerous think. Just look at
all those black holes all over the universe.

Old September 7th 07, 09:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fred Fredburger

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
Fred Fredburger schreef:
took just a few minutes to get it to work on my MacBook (OS X 10.4.10).

You mean installed Flip4Mac? I have that, took a look on the website,
nothing works with Safari, very crappy with Firefox. Anyway, I'm not a
potential viewer so no need to look further into it.

I didn't even try it with Safari. It worked better than I wanted it to
with Firefox. By which I mean that it would have been nice if the audio
was broken. How do they pick that music?
Old September 7th 07, 10:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kyle Legate

MJ Ray wrote:
Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
Isn't Cycling.tv notorious for being inaccessible for non-Windows?

Well, I haven't got it to work on my GNU/Linux machines, their support
service wasn't much help and I've seen many similar reports elsewhere.
I wish they'd put up a simple stream playable in vlc, mplayer, portable
devices and so on, even if it means using traditional tv-style adverts
in addition to any web-scripted ones.

I'm watching it in totem right now. I just clicked through on all the
warnings and it loaded just fine. Ubuntu 6.10.
Old September 8th 07, 12:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Dan Connelly

Kyle Legate wrote:
MJ Ray wrote:
Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
Isn't Cycling.tv notorious for being inaccessible for non-Windows?

Well, I haven't got it to work on my GNU/Linux machines, their support
service wasn't much help and I've seen many similar reports elsewhere.
I wish they'd put up a simple stream playable in vlc, mplayer, portable
devices and so on, even if it means using traditional tv-style adverts
in addition to any web-scripted ones.

I'm watching it in totem right now. I just clicked through on all the
warnings and it loaded just fine. Ubuntu 6.10.

I also am able to run it, on ubuntu 7.04. Try playing with "preferences-video" to select different drivers (for example, "X11") if it doesn't play.

Dan
Old September 8th 07, 08:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kyle Legate

Dan Connelly wrote:
Kyle Legate wrote:
MJ Ray wrote:
Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
Isn't Cycling.tv notorious for being inaccessible for non-Windows?

Well, I haven't got it to work on my GNU/Linux machines, their support
service wasn't much help and I've seen many similar reports elsewhere.
I wish they'd put up a simple stream playable in vlc, mplayer, portable
devices and so on, even if it means using traditional tv-style adverts
in addition to any web-scripted ones.

I'm watching it in totem right now. I just clicked through on all the
warnings and it loaded just fine. Ubuntu 6.10.

I also am able to run it, on ubuntu 7.04. Try playing with
"preferences-video" to select different drivers (for example, "X11") if
it doesn't play.

I should also mention that I'm using the MediaPlayerConnectivity plugin
for Firefox to launch media in an external video player. I sometimes
have problems playing embedded media so this is the solution I'm using.
Old September 8th 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Frank Drackman

"David B." wrote in message
Just as a head up on cycling.tv.
They charged my credit card for a 2nd year without my authorization. I
contacted them several times but they never acknowledged the problem. Each
time,I got a automated response that stated they'd be in contact. It never
happened. I cut off access to that credit card (no refund)and I got an
email that said my subscription had been canceled effective immediately.
There was still seven months left on my fully paid subscription. They
responded by saying that cycling.tv isn't involved with payments and that
I'd need to handle the matter through a third party. I let them steal the
money. It wasn't worth the time and expense to chase $25. and they knew
it.
I hate missing my race coverage but I'll never subscribe with these
thieves again.

David

Like many, when they first went live with the site I was really excited. It
quickly became apparent that their technology was not ready for release and
probably not even ready for a late beta. On the positive side their
customer support people seemed eager to work through problems so I tried to
stay with them.

Over time their customer support became nonexistent, had billing
irregularities, and questionable marketing promotions. I had the same
problem as you with them trying to bill my credit card but didn't go through
the hassle of cancelling the card. Because of the TJ Max customer
information theft my bank issued me a new card so I no longer have to worry
about them trying again.

I don't know their funding situation but it seems like they might have been
under funded for the scale of the operation that they were building to.
Hopefully they have enough assets to make them attractive to another company
with designs on the space.

Old September 10th 07, 05:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MJ Ray

Kyle Legate wrote:
I'm watching it in totem right now. I just clicked through on all the
warnings and it loaded just fine. Ubuntu 6.10.

Whoopee for Gnome users. xine or Gstreamer backend? What's the stream
address for non-totem users to try? Gobolinux 012.

Thanks,
Experienced webmaster-developers for hire http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
Also: statistician, sysadmin, online shop builder, workers co-op.

Old September 10th 07, 05:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MJ Ray

"Frank Drackman" wrote:
Hopefully they have enough assets to make them attractive to another company
with designs on the space.

They were bought by JumpTV recently:
http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?id=2623

That dashed my hopes that they might fold and release the rights to a
free-to-air broadcaster.

Bah!
Free Sat FAQ: http://mjr.towers.org.uk/blog/2006/astefaq
Webmaster/web developer, statistician, sysadmin, online shop maker,
Workers co-op @ Weston-super-Mare, Somerset http://www.ttllp.co.uk/