Sheffield cycle racks

Old October 23rd 03, 01:37 PM
bob

Default Sheffield cycle racks

Does anyone know where I can purchase a Sheffield cyle rack? Have searched
the web with not much success. We need 3 (to hold 6 bikes) for my place of
work, preferably ones which can be bolted to the floor. Is there a standard
specification for the Sheffield rack? Does anyone make them plastic-coated
to avoid damaging bikes, or is there any suitable material (eg tape) that I
could wrap round the bare steel to give a bit of protection?

TIA

Old October 23rd 03, 01:57 PM
Ian

bob must be edykated coz e writed:

Try http://www.cycle-works.com/

--
Ian

http://www.catrike.co.uk

Old October 23rd 03, 06:57 PM
Danny Colyer

bob wrote:
Does anyone know where I can purchase a Sheffield cyle rack? Have
searched the web with not much success. We need 3 (to hold 6 bikes)
for my place of work,

Whereabouts in the country are you? I got Sheffield racks for my place
of work from Cycle West, now called Life Cycle UK:
http://www.lifecycleuk.org.uk/take_a_stand.html

--
Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( http://www.juggler.net/danny )
Recumbent cycle page: http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/recumbents/

Old October 23rd 03, 07:11 PM
PD

Might be worth contacting this firm - I'm fairly sure they used to supply
plastic coated racks. Not much info on the website (and they do seem to
stock the dreaded butterfly racks too) but might be worth enquiring.

Paul

Old October 23rd 03, 09:12 PM
Tim Hall

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 13:37:16 +0100, "bob" wrote:

Does anyone know where I can purchase a Sheffield cyle rack? Have searched
the web with not much success. We need 3 (to hold 6 bikes) for my place of
work, preferably ones which can be bolted to the floor. Is there a standard
specification for the Sheffield rack? Does anyone make them plastic-coated
to avoid damaging bikes, or is there any suitable material (eg tape) that I
could wrap round the bare steel to give a bit of protection?

Try Googling for Street Furniture Suppliers. Or ask your local
authority.

Tim
--
In space no one can eat ice cream
Old October 23rd 03, 11:43 PM
taywood

bob wrote:
Does anyone know where I can purchase a Sheffield cyle rack? Have
searched the web with not much success. We need 3 (to hold 6 bikes)
for my place of work, preferably ones which can be bolted to the
floor. Is there a standard specification for the Sheffield rack? Does
anyone make them plastic-coated to avoid damaging bikes, or is there
any suitable material (eg tape) that I could wrap round the bare
steel to give a bit of protection?

What do you wish to protect?

Definitely talk to the Traffic Office guys at the Council and ask
for their advice, on type, size, style, location etc
and by the way do they have any old stock in their stores for which
you'd be happy to pay the installation charge.

The committee who prepared the National Cycling Strategy (1996?)
proposed the use nationally of this scaffolding pole bent into a U
with plates at the feet for bolting or cementing in.
Cheap and efficient stand, not a rack.

Lancashire CC in their recent town redevelopment schemes
employed a commercial designer to improve on the Stand.
He designed and they produced a donkey hitching rail.
Solid uprights with a crossbar in heritage style with curlique ends
to the crossbar. He got well paid and the expense was charged to
the fund for the provision of services for cyclists.
What a load of Hoey.
Mike
Old October 24th 03, 10:30 AM
pig pog

Anonymous wrote:
Does anyone know where I can purchase a Sheffield cyle rack?

The LCC Cycle Parking Standards list some suppliers and detail the
installation requirements. There is a revision in the offing (I believe)
which may change the recommendation from classic sheffields to a A frame
shape (but still broadly the same idea) so it may be worth checking this
and whether the supplier list has been updated

http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=90

best wishes james

--
best wishes
james

Old October 24th 03, 01:06 PM
David Hansen

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 13:37:16 +0100 someone who may be "bob"
wrote this:-

Does anyone know where I can purchase a Sheffield cyle rack? Have searched
the web with not much success.

That's funny, because I have always found several manufacturers with
the aid of a search engine.

Is there a standard
specification for the Sheffield rack?

Sustrans had drawings of the things on their web site when I looked.
The City of Edinburgh Council probably still has copies of its cycle
design guide available. This has a drawing inside.

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.
Old October 31st 03, 08:22 PM
PD

Whoops... http://www.bealift.co.uk/

--
Paul

FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
CTC / Cycle Campaign Network Autumn Conference Simon Geller UK 0 September 2nd 03 11:15 AM
Council removing cycle racks *grumble* David Nutter UK 9 August 29th 03 09:58 AM
Pick 'n Pay Cape Argus Cycle Tour - Cape Town, South Africa, 2004 David Cowie Racing 0 August 28th 03 10:29 PM
Pick 'n Pay Cape Argus Cycle Tour - Cape Town, South Africa, 2004 David Cowie UK 0 August 28th 03 10:29 PM