Too late?

Old August 13th 04, 06:54 PM
Heath

Default Too late?

Hi, just a quick one...is it too late to start cycling at the age of 18
considering most elite cyclists would have started at a far earlier
age?

--
Heath

Old August 13th 04, 07:11 PM
Badger_South

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 03:54:14 +1000, Heath
wrote:

Hi, just a quick one...is it too late to start cycling at the age of 18
considering most elite cyclists would have started at a far earlier
age?

Go out and ride hard for a year, and then come back and ask again and we'll
have the answer for you.

-B

Old August 13th 04, 07:47 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

wrote in message
:

Hi, just a quick one...is it too late to start cycling at the age of 18
considering most elite cyclists would have started at a far earlier
age?

Cycling for what? My wife started aged 30 and now rides every day,
including sometimes piloting a triplet with two kids on the back.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old August 13th 04, 09:05 PM
Rick Onanian

wrote:
Hi, just a quick one...is it too late to start cycling at the age of 18
considering most elite cyclists would have started at a far earlier
age?

Yes, it's too late. By the time you reach 18, your muscles are set
in their ways, and can't learn new tricks. You're stuck forever with
a life of whatever you did when you were 17.

Okay, really, it's fine. Maybe you could even become an elite racer
like Fabrizio Mazzoleni.
--
Rick Onanian
Old August 13th 04, 09:07 PM
Bob in CT

wrote:
Hi, just a quick one...is it too late to start cycling at the age of 18
considering most elite cyclists would have started at a far earlier
age?

Yes, it's too late. By the time you reach 18, your muscles are set
in their ways, and can't learn new tricks. You're stuck forever with
a life of whatever you did when you were 17.

Okay, really, it's fine. Maybe you could even become an elite racer
like Fabrizio Mazzoleni.
--
Rick Onanian

Now, if we were talking tennis...that's a different story.

--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply
Old August 13th 04, 09:14 PM
Ben A Gozar

Most elitist people in any sport have a passion for thir sport that started
as children. Perhaps you may wish to set your goals a little lower?
Old August 13th 04, 09:26 PM
Tyler

Ben A Gozar wrote in
:
Most elitist people in any sport have a passion for thir sport that
started as children. Perhaps you may wish to set your goals a little
lower?

There is a big difference between elite and elitist.
Old August 13th 04, 10:52 PM
Luigi de Guzman

wrote:

Hi, just a quick one...is it too late to start cycling at the age of 18
considering most elite cyclists would have started at a far earlier
age?

As everybody will ask you--cycling for WHAT?

I'm 23. There are guys on this NG and in my town who are twice and
three times my age who can ride me into the ground with sickening
ease.

Now, if you've got tour or olympic dreams, well, I couldn't tell you
what "too late" means. There's a fellow who trialed for the U.S.
Olympic Track Cycling team from my area who's in his mid-30s: rides
Match Sprint and Kilometer, from what I remember.

There are always races to ride in, if you want them.

Advice: if what you want to do is race, well, get on your bike,
train, and join your local racing club.

If, however, what you want to do is ride a bike, well, ain't nobody
gonna stop you.

-Luigi
(Not a racer, incidentally)

Old August 14th 04, 02:27 AM
Frank Krygowski

Heath wrote:

Hi, just a quick one...is it too late to start cycling at the age of 18
considering most elite cyclists would have started at a far earlier
age?

It may depend how elite you want to be. (Personally, I was never
motivated to be in the top 5%. Good thing, too.)

It may also depend on what you've been doing instead, and on your genes.
Couch potato whose parents died of heart ailments at 30? Sorry. But if
you're a person who runs marathons while singing, you're in for lots of fun.

Speaking of marathons: Back in the 1970s, I had a friend once who
qualified for the Boston Marathon. He was at least 40. Anyway, our
cycling got him interested, and he bought a very nice bike. He did one
20 mile ride, one 30 mile ride, then he took part in a major
invitational ride with a big city club. Hundreds of cyclists riding 100
miles south one day, sleeping overnight on a gym floor, then 100 miles
back north the next day. On the way back, he was hanging with a couple
of really fast guys all the way - until they said "Well, we live over
that way, so we're not going back to the finish. Just follow the arrows."

He was the first guy to finish.

So it all depends.

--
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

Old August 14th 04, 05:13 AM
Ben A Gozar

Brain fart....thank you

How late in the year can you ride Mt. Evans? Eric Lambi Rides 2 July 20th 04 07:46 PM
Why I was late to my Sunday Ride Michael Paul Mountain Biking 6 May 7th 04 11:28 PM
FS: Late 70's Gios BW Marketplace 0 September 25th 03 03:58 PM
FA: Cinelli Catalog - late '70s The Ink Company Marketplace 0 September 2nd 03 03:10 AM
FS: Late 70's Gios BW Marketplace 0 August 28th 03 11:54 PM