I love the idea of dropping THE BOMB

Old July 14th 09, 02:56 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

Default I love the idea of dropping THE BOMB

On Jul 13, 5:36*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

I no longer bother posting any messages of value since there are none but
idiots inhabiting these forums. It is all blather, but even so, I stand
behind everything I have ever said on Usenet, up to and including dropping
an atom bomb on Tom Sherman's head.

Yeah, I love the idea of dropping THE BOMB on his head. Here it is...

"There were not a lot of reports in the Feed this morning, and many of
them were for the same wreck. There was also an updated report on a
wreck reported here earlier, and some people doing subversive things
on their bikes, like having fun.

Getting to the update first, there is more information on that head-on
hit-and-run with a drunk driver I linked to yesterday. 1 dead, 2 hurt
in crash With what we know now there were at least 5 cyclists in the
group, single file, and the drunk drove across 2 lanes of traffic and
on to the shoulder to hit them, killing one, injuring 2 badly enough
to require transport to a medical facility and only slightly injuring
the other 2, plus hitting a sixth vehicle, a Hyundai, while trying to
flee the scene. For some reason bail has only been set at $1 Million
for assaulting 6 people with a deadly weapon."

http://opusthepoet.wordpress.com

Since he doesn't want to hear the reality of the jungle, this whole
blog will be like a bomb to him!
Old July 14th 09, 07:07 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Edward Dolan

"ComandanteBanana" wrote in message
[...]

Cyclists by and large do not like to hear stories about all the mayhem on
the highways. That is because we know how vulnerable we are. No matter how
safe we think we ride, we KNOW that we can be struck and killed in an
instant through no fault of our own. It is why cyclists need their own bike
trails and paths.

To be on a highway with fast moving motor vehicles is inherently unsafe. At
the very least, you have got to have a shoulder to ride on. To be in the
same lane as a motor vehicle is just asking to be hit - and sooner or later,
you will be.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old July 14th 09, 08:31 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Opus[_2_]

On Jul 14, 6:07 pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
snip

Cyclists by and large do not like to hear stories about all the mayhem on
the highways. That is because we know how vulnerable we are. No matter how
safe we think we ride, we KNOW that we can be struck and killed in an
instant through no fault of our own. It is why cyclists need their own bike
trails and paths.

To be on a highway with fast moving motor vehicles is inherently unsafe. At
the very least, you have got to have a shoulder to ride on. To be in the
same lane as a motor vehicle is just asking to be hit - and sooner or later,
you will be.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Actually the cyclists in the article quoted were riding single file on
the shoulder on the opposite side of the road from the driver that hit
them. The driver crossed 2 lanes of traffic and either on or over the
shoulder to hit the 5 cyclists, I'm still hoping to get the final
report on this one to find out if he was trying to hit the cyclists or
just stupid.
Old July 14th 09, 09:15 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Edward Dolan

Default The danger of cycling on high speed highways with motor vehicles.

"Opus" wrote in message
[...]

It will turn out to be someone who was just plain drunk or high on drugs.
How half these accidents happen is incomprehensible to me. Just less than a
year ago, a road warrior of a cyclist (he did the Ride Across America the
previous year) was struck and killed right here in NW Iowa, an area with not
much traffic and good roads with excellent sight lines.

The thing to bear in mind is that many motorists are incredibly bad drivers.
Frankly, I do not want to be on the road with them when I am on my bicycle.
I consider it something of a miracle that in 30 years of cycling I have not
been hit by a motorist. It is only smart to be aware of these dangers when
we are cycling on high speed highways with motor vehicles.

Old July 15th 09, 04:16 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Jul 14, 4:15*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"Opus" wrote in message

[...]

Yeah, and on top of that they assume we shouldn't be on the roads.
Last time we went on the road at "odd hours" (8-12 pm in heavy
traffic) was for a practical reason, to pay a visit to this family, 6
miles away or so. Anyway we are alive to tell it, but my girlfriend
(mentioned above) chickened out and went on the sidewalk and we
wanderer apart.

The most noteworthy detail, though, is that one of the family members,
a dumb lady, just the average American driver, said, "I never knew the
bicycles belonged on the road!"

They really worry me because they act with the conviction of an
ignorant, trying to keep our roads clear of "dangerous cyclists"...