Pre-4th of July ride with pics.

Old July 7th 03, 07:43 PM
Michael Paul

Default Pre-4th of July ride with pics.

Miles (No J.D., he wasn't on the SS but took out the geared Sycip for this
one) had an unexpected day off from work so he called me up about 9:00 to
see if I wanted to get out for a ride. Since I had bailed on him for our
regular night ride the night before I quickly said yes and we made
arrangements to meet at the trail by 10:00.

The one problem with that, as you local Californians will know, is that it
already was unbelievably HOT by 9:00 and sure to get even warmer while on
the trail. It didn't help that the canyon we were planning on riding is
well inland and gets quite toasty on even a warm day.

So, we hit the trail and snap a few pictures along the way.

There's a little rolling drop along this ST that's kind of fun. You hit it
after a bit of a speed section so for those of us who lack any ability (or
the stones) to get "Really Big Air" this can provide a bit of a substitute.

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/S_P7020001(1).jpg

It's my camera and I can't claim to always take the best shots, but Miles
isn't used to it and he has to work on his timing a bit more......

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/we...S_P7020003.jpg

There was a bit of a fire out there last week that took out about 400 or so
acres. Apparently, the Marines from MCAS were working on their firebreaks
(MCAS borders the park) and ignited a small brush fire that spread into the
park. Miles took a few of me but I was amazingly always behind one of the
branches so after a few failed attempts we just kept riding

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/we...S_P7020008.jpg

This hill isn't ridiculously long but there is zero air flow on a good day
so when it's already hot, this hill is brutal! There's more climbing around
the corner too so as you struggle up this one you know you have some loose
and sandy climbing awaiting.

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/we...S_P7020012.jpg

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/we...S_P7020013.jpg

This "ditch" is much steeper and looser than it looks. The trail follows
what is really a water run-off channel so every year it changes a bit. This
year, we've had enough rain to really make the section interesting. All the
loose rocks make traction challenging and until the section sees a few more
riders, it'll remain a bit more difficult. It's very doable, but
challenging. You also have to commit to riding in the ruts since you can't
ride around them. Very fun!

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/we...S_P7020021.jpg

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/we...S_P7020036.jpg

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/we...S_P7020043.jpg

This little section is pretty off camber with those nasty ruts waiting to
take you if you veer too far to the left. There's a rather nasty rut you
have to ride through that isn't in the frame which makes the approach to
this section a little extra challenging.

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/we...S_P7020044.jpg

This little rock jump is about as North Shore as I ever need to get. I'm
seriously "Air Challenged" so this is about as high as I think I'll ever go.
The approach is perfect and the landing is pretty smooth too, but I just
can't ever see myself launching off of anything much bigger. I guess I'm
just a wuss. Heck, it took me about a year before I even got this good on
this one!

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/we...S_P7020049.jpg

You might notice the slightly incorrect position Miles is in from this shot.
I snapped the picture and then heard the wonderful sounds of rubber slipping
on dirt and then of branches cracking. He was kind enough to miss taking me
out by about 5 inches and the big bushes to our left out of the frame slowed
him down. No harm or blood so just an embarrassing moment by a rider who
knows better!

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/S_P7020050(1).jpg

This is the approach to what is sort of the signature drop on this trail.
Again, not the most difficult section of trail in the world, but it can be
very intimidating. The ground just sort of goes away from you and when you
can see over the lip you see what looks like rather loose sandy trail with
several nice ruts running parallel to the trail. It's not really that
difficult but takes a little convincing the first time you try it.

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/we...S_P7030051.jpg

This is the other side of the drop. There's a line to the rider's left but
it sort of sets you up for a more difficult descent so it's really just
better to roll off the lip and go with it.

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/we...S_P7030055.jpg

Does it look like it was hot?

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/we...S_P7030057.jpg

This shows a bit more of the trail below the drop. Still not looking as
steep or intimidating on the screen as it does in person but it gives you a
bit better perspective. Perhaps what makes this even more intimidating is
the fact that just behind the camera is a very sharp 90 degree right turn so
you have to be able to properly control your speed to make the turn.

This definitely doesn't look as steep or nasty as it really is

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/we...S_P7030058.jpg

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/we...S_P7030059.jpg

gratuitous art shot

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/we...S_P7030062.jpg

When I got home after the ride about 2:00, I checked the thermometer on my
patio. I live a few miles further towards the coast so my place is usually
a bit cooler than where we rode. At my place, it was only 95 in the shade
so it was easily into the very low 100's while we were exposed on the trail
(which is everywhere!)

Old July 7th 03, 07:44 PM
Michael Paul

Yikes! Not sure why so many carriage returns got put in the message.

Sorry 'bout that

Michael

Old July 7th 03, 08:13 PM
MattB

"Michael Paul" wrote in message
news
Yikes! Not sure why so many carriage returns got put in the message.

Sorry 'bout that

Michael

Thanks for the RR! Looked cool, errr, I mean HOT!

Matt

Old July 11th 03, 12:34 PM
Westie

"Michael Paul" wrote in message
. ..
Miles (No J.D., he wasn't on the SS but took out the geared Sycip for this
one) had an unexpected day off from work so he called me up about 9:00 to
see if I wanted to get out for a ride. Since I had bailed on him for our
regular night ride the night before I quickly said yes and we made
arrangements to meet at the trail by 10:00.

snip ride report

Loved reading it. Good report and great pics!
We've got snow on the hills here at the moment so I'd love some of that heat
right about now!
--
Westie