Brompton love

Old November 7th 12, 08:41 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

Default Brompton love

I bought the damn thing on impulse really. Partly geek-love for the
concept, partly I saw I might get some use, and partly new bike fever
and there wasn't enough room for another motorcycle.

But dammit, it's my main transport now!

The poor old 'bent hardly leaves the garage. My commute is no
longer a motorcycle or the recumbent, it's 5km on the Brompton to
Strathfield station and 40 mins and 2 trains to work with a quick
sprint from the station to the carpark and the bike cage. Even on
the crowded hometime train just fold it and cram in.

A nice brisk ride with just enough hill at both ends to make me
think it's doing me good...

Do the shopping at Strathfield before riding home. Part fold the
bike and use it as a shopping trolley, loading the goodies into the
bag clipped to the block on the front just rolling the bike down
the aisles on its castors. Unpack at the checkout, repack, unfold
once outside the shopping centre, and go.

Or head to various shops on the weekend. Same deal - don't leave
it anywhere just bring it with me. No need to haul a heavy lock,
no need to worry about bits being nicked. Duck into the newsagents
for a bus ticket or stroll through a department store, the Brom is
never out of my sight. Train stations with long flights of steps
are no problem it's a dead easy carry. Buses too are easy with the
Brom: fold, climb aboard, sit with it in the wheelchair section or
chuck it in the luggage area or just have it next to you in the
passageway. Do that with a nonfolding bike! (or many folders...)

The 'bent still comes out for longer rides. Down the Cook's River
path to the big box stores in Alexandria for example or up to Auburn
or even Paramatta. Or just for a jaunt on the weekend, exploring my
suburb and the surrounds.

But for pure transport, the train or bus and the Brom are where it's
at.

I've seen other folders, but they none of them have the speed and
simplicity and compact package of the Brompton. One of the best buys
I've ever made.

Zebee

Old November 7th 12, 10:53 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Wed, 7 Nov 2012 19:20:19 +1000
Blue Heeler wrote:
Zebee Johnstone wrote:

I've seen other folders, but they none of them have the speed and
simplicity and compact package of the Brompton. One of the best buys
I've ever made.

Well I guess I'll be seeing you at the Brompton worlds next year at
Blenheim castle then.....

Bloody things are seductive, aren't they.

PS did you buy locally (in which case you have my unreserved sympathy)
or arrange to import one nefariously?

Locally, although I did get a Superlight so paid $HEAPS anyway...

Flying Furniture has them in stock usually, any colour you like as
long as it's black. I found that out after I bought mine, but
probably would have gone for the optioned up one anyway.

Zebee
Old November 27th 13, 12:00 AM posted to aus.bicycle

For what it's worth, there's a bloke riding a Brompton on the Great Vic Bike Ride. Getting along nicely.

Moike