Boston Cycling - You make the call

Old August 1st 20, 09:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Boston Cycling - You make the call

On 2020-07-31 09:28, wrote:

[...]

Driving laws are pretty much universal because people moving from
state to state for any reason have to all know how to drive
correctly. So most states follow the suggestions of the Federal
Highway Traffic Safety Commission.

Not so much for cyclists. In some states cyclists are allowed to
carefully roll through stop signs, in others that can result in an
expensive ticket.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Joerg - when was the last time you didn't "carefully didn't roll through stop signs"? The cops don't even blink here and it is illegal. Some court case or another said that if a bicycle is going less than 5 mph it is a legal stop.
Old August 2nd 20, 12:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 12:46:46 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 7/31/2020 8:20 PM, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 12:00:17 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 7/30/2020 8:59 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 09:02:51 -0400, Bertrand
wrote:

https://nypost.com/video/can-i-get-a...ly-close-call/

unclear to me.

Cars were stacked up for at least two blocks at the light, but did not
block the intersection, allowing the driver to turn left. She was not
watching for the biker, who had the right of way. Still and all, I
don't think I would have wanted to go as fast as he did when to the
right of stopped traffic.

I agree. Blasting through the intersection like that risks a collision not only
with a left-turning car that you can't see, but also with someone who decides at
the last second to get out of that traffic and turn right. I probably would
have approached that intersection at no more than a fast walking pace.

What's the approved vehicular cyclist behavior there? Just wait in line with
the other vehicles?

I have one basic rule that has worked for all the years I've been
riding a bike. DON'T GET HIT!

Look both ways, look in front and in back, if in doubt get off and
walk, or any other action the prevents you from being hit.

That sounds fine, but here's the problem: some people have crazy ideas
on how best to not get hit.

Perhaps the most common misconception is that it's safer to ride facing
traffic. But there are others that are similarly ineffective or
impractical - for example, we hear from time to time that bicyclists
should "pretend you're invisible."

There really are details one must learn.

I think that you make it much more complicated then it actually is.
You say, riding like you are invisible is a misconception yet in a
great many crashes the automobile driver says "I didn't see him". In
short my philosophy of "don't get hit" is far simpler and more or less
all compassing.

I'm well aware of "SMIDSY" - "Sorry, mate, I didn't see you." But
"pretend you're invisible" is no solution. That would require yielding
right-of-way to every motorist every time in every circumstance.

"Ride in a position that makes you visible" is much better advice.

"Don't get hit" is not instructive. It raises the question "But how??"

The answer is, "Any way that you can". The alternative is, of course,
to get hit and my supposition is that even getting off and walking is
preferable to being run over by a truck hauling 30 tons of cargo at
100 kph, which is a common sight here, at least.
..
--
Cheers,

John B.