Head tube space to relax fork angle ?

Old October 17th 03, 09:25 PM
Gwood

Default Head tube space to relax fork angle ?

Some time ago I thought I read here about a product that was pretty much a
spacer that went under the head tube. The intent was to be able to use a
longer travel fork and relax the angle of the fork.

I mentioned this to a buddy who has an interest in trying this. Now I can't
find the reference. Can anybody help out ?

Cheers
Gary

Old October 17th 03, 10:54 PM
Mark Hickey

"Gwood" wrote:

Some time ago I thought I read here about a product that was pretty much a
spacer that went under the head tube. The intent was to be able to use a
longer travel fork and relax the angle of the fork.

I mentioned this to a buddy who has an interest in trying this. Now I can't
find the reference. Can anybody help out ?

I'm confused (but comfortable in that condition...). Since a
longer-travel fork also relaxes the head tube angle, why in the world
would you want to add a spacer under the head tube (aka on top of the
fork) to relax it even more???

Besides, I wouldn't trust anything that extended the head tube like
that - there's a lot of stress at the bottom of the HT already, and if
you cantilever that force out on an extension, the result will be
predictable (and ugly).

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

Old October 19th 03, 05:54 AM
Mark Hickey

"Mojo Deluxe" wrote:

"Mark Hickey" wrote in message
Besides, I wouldn't trust anything that extended the head tube like
that - there's a lot of stress at the bottom of the HT already, and if
you cantilever that force out on an extension, the result will be
predictable (and ugly).

Frame decapitation?

Quite possible. About the best that would happen would be the lower
head tube boring would get all rounded out from the force. The worst
would be a head tube failure outright - but either way, you'd probably
be looking for a new frame.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old October 20th 03, 12:04 AM
Mojo Deluxe

"Mojo Deluxe" wrote:

"Mark Hickey" wrote in message
Besides, I wouldn't trust anything that extended the head tube like
that - there's a lot of stress at the bottom of the HT already, and if
you cantilever that force out on an extension, the result will be
predictable (and ugly).

Frame decapitation?

Quite possible. About the best that would happen would be the lower
head tube boring would get all rounded out from the force. The worst
would be a head tube failure outright - but either way, you'd probably
be looking for a new frame.

My Voodoo Wanga got pretty slack in the head tube. When my OEM headset
started to fail, I replaced it with a King, and it almost dropped in. I
imagine the 853 head tube on my new frame will hold up better. Not 100%
sure, but I think it's been hardened, or heat treated.