Bristol's Biggest Bike Ride

Old June 14th 04, 07:24 PM
Danny Colyer

Default Bristol's Biggest Bike Ride

SPD sandals have one big disadvantage on a recumbent. The sandals hang
from the pedals, and when I'm not actively pushing the pedals the weight
of my feet and lower legs is effectively supported by the sandal straps.
This caused problems with my Achilles' tendons after last weekend's
century ride, and by the morning of Bristol's Biggest Bike Ride I still
had a dodgy right ankle. So I was unsure whether to do the ride or not.

But I had long planned to do this ride and I had people expecting to
ride with me. I decided to ride to the start (wearing shoes, not
sandals) and see how my ankle was feeling. I rode to Richard's house at
08:30 and together we headed off down the Bath-Bristol cyclepath,
meeting Jamie and Rachel at @Bristol a few minutes before the scheduled
09:30 start for the Clevedon Challenge. My computer showed 8.70 miles.
My ankle felt OK, but I was very conscious of the fact that it's mostly
downhill from home to the centre of Bristol.

As usual there was a choice of 4 rides. I had registered to ride the
longest ride, the Clevedon Challenge (advertised as 38 miles, but my
computer made it 36) with Jamie. Richard had registered to ride the 18
mile Failand Heights ride with Rachel, Jamie's wife. Jamie and I were
ready for the start, but rather than join the back of the bunch and ride
at 2mph for a couple of miles until the crowd started to thin, we
decided to hang around a bit longer and take photos.

Shortly after arriving we saw the first recumbent of the ride (apart
from our own). Dan Towner, who I occasionally meet on my commute, rode
past on his Windcheetah but didn't see us. Shortly after starting the
ride, we saw a Trice.

Within a few hundred yards of starting, I had the only puncture of the
ride. I didn't find what caused it, but Jamie took the opportunity to
take a photo of me fixing a puncture. I did the same to him last Sunday.
I think revenge was sweet.

After fixing the puncture, we headed off with 10 minutes to spare before
the start of the Failand Heights ride. The crowds had cleared, so we
were able to ride at a good speed and we soon started passing the back
markers.

We saw our third recumbent (yet another trike) on the M5 bridge over the
Avon. From here the route mostly followed last week's Avon Cycleway ride
for the next 20 miles, but in reverse and without getting lost in Pill.
I wrote last weekend that, from what little I had seen of it, Pill was a
dump. Today I saw a much prettier side of Pill.

We stopped in the shade of some trees in a park by Clevedon seafront to
eat lunch and take some photos. At least one of Jamie's photos included
an ambulance in the background, loading up a young cyclist for we don't
know what reason. We wondered just how many casualties there would be
during the day, with people who ride once a year overestimating their
abilities and riding inappropriate or poorly maintained machines with
the saddles set too low.

On the outskirts of Clevedon, my front gear cable snapped as I tried to
shift to the big ring for a long descent. What was that about poorly
maintained machines? At the bottom of the hill I recognised where we
were and was pretty sure that we had a few fairly flat miles ahead, so I
adjusted the stop screw on the front derailleur to shift the chain onto
the middle ring. A good decision.

Last week's continuous 3 mile descent turned into a 3 mile ascent for
today's ride, though thankfully it didn't seem quite as continuous going
up. I stopped at the bottom and got my screwdriver out to shift to the
granny ring - another good decision. Soon afterwards, a woman called out
to us: "You'll have great thighs after this." I called back: "I already
have." Shortly after that Richard phoned to say that he and Rachel had
finished their ride (the slope was gentle enough that I had no trouble
answering the phone and talking while riding). We still had about 10
miles to go.

Before the ride I had worried that, if I managed to reach this hill, my
ankle would give up on the climb. When it came to it I didn't even think
about my ankle until we were near the top. Not long after reaching the
top we crossed a cattle grid, which hurt. For later cattle grids I
unclipped my right foot and held it in the air.

The rest of the ride had very little flat, it was mostly up and down.
Staying on the granny ring was no problem, it just meant I freewheeled
down the hills instead of pedalling. I still clocked 34.9mph on one
descent, but it would have been nice to have seen just how far I could
push it if the big ring had been available.

On the approach to Winford, I felt a prickling just above my left
buttock. I reached behind me and discovered a hole in my favourite pair
of cycling shorts. Fortunately it was repairable. ¾" of seam had come
unstitched, I stitched it back up in the evening.

In Winford we passed our fourth recumbent, and the first with the
correct number of wheels, a Velocita.

When I wrote about the Clevedon Challenge in 2001, I mentioned a track
that looked like a wall. Shortly after Felton I started looking out for
this track. We came to a climb on a narrow lane and I was struck by the
thought that it wasn't as steep as I remembered it. The reason was that
this wasn't it. The wall was just a little later. This time I managed to
ride all the way up it with no mishaps, helped by the ground being
drier. Jamie, on the Speed Machine, felt like he was going to wheelie,
so he got off and walked. When I reached the top I took the opportunity
to take a photo of Jamie pushing his bike up a hill :-)

We eventually arrived at Ashton Park with my computer showing about 44.6
miles. Richard and Rachel had found a circus workshop and were sitting
in the shade watching it. Jamie, of course, felt compelled to go and
show off his skill with 5 clubs. I thought he was let down somewhat by
the workshop clubs being, well, workshop clubs, and hence not the best
for numbers or anything technical. But he managed a few rounds, followed
by a round of applause.

My ankle seemed to have benefitted from the easy, fluid pedalling motion
(there hadn't been anywhere on the ride where I'd really had to push),
and for the first time in a week I was able to comfortably walk without
a limp.

From our seat in the shade I could see a wheelchair with a handcrank
attachment, which I think counts as a recumbent. And Richard mentioned
having seen a trike on his ride. So, including our own machines, we knew
that there had been at least 8 recumbents out today. On the ride back
towards the cyclepath we met a chap on an Optima Dolphin, taking the
count to 9.

Jamie and Rachel headed off towards their home in Bedminster, leaving
Richard and me to return home along the cyclepath. I returned to
Richard's house to pick up a screwdriver that he'd offered to lend me,
and he asked if I knew any good post ride stretches. So I got to witness
the comedy of Richard collapsing when he attempted the first stretch
that I showed him. Oh well, I'm sure he felt better for it in the morning.

Then I rode the last few hundred yards home to a little girl who had
been missing her Daddy all day, and who clung to me like a limpet for
the rest of the afternoon and evening. The computer read 54.81 miles.

More Ride Reports:
URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/cycling/ridereports/

URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/
Old June 14th 04, 08:14 PM
Frobnitz

"Danny Colyer" wrote in message
The rest of the ride had very little flat, it was mostly up and down.
Staying on the granny ring was no problem, it just meant I freewheeled
down the hills instead of pedalling. I still clocked 34.9mph on one
descent, but it would have been nice to have seen just how far I could
push it if the big ring had been available.

48.3mph here http://tinyurl.com/2ebkc

Hydraulic brakes are a lifesaver, but Lenty, the big blue bouncy bent, is as
stable as a very stable thing at those speeds, even with the dodgy surface.

I should point out that I only do about 10-11 mph going up that hill.

From our seat in the shade I could see a wheelchair with a handcrank
attachment, which I think counts as a recumbent. And Richard mentioned
having seen a trike on his ride. So, including our own machines, we knew
that there had been at least 8 recumbents out today. On the ride back
towards the cyclepath we met a chap on an Optima Dolphin, taking the
count to 9.

On the nekkid cycle run on Saturday, a guy turned up on a Dawes Lowrider,
and I've seen 2 long wheelbase bents of unknown manufacture in the last few
days round where I work.

Definitely the dark side is on the rise.