Why do pedestrians

Old July 4th 16, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

Default Why do pedestrians

On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 6:27:25 PM UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Yet I presume that, as a driver, you will "wave" at a driver for letting you
out of a junction when the other driver has right of way?

Once again you prove my point.
Thank You

Old July 4th 16, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 04/07/2016 17:37, Simon Jester wrote:

Why do pedestrians thank drivers with a wave for stopping at zebra crossings?

Is it because motorists so rarely give way to pedestrians at zebra crossings, let alone side roads?
Or are we so deep into the car culture that pedestrians are grateful not to be mown down by cars every time the go out?

How many drivers thank other drivers for stopping at a give way line?

I can see no difference between a zebra crossing and a give way junction from a vehicle users point of view.

It is just pure politeness and part of normal human interaction.
Old July 4th 16, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 6:39:41 PM UTC+1, MrCheerful wrote:

It is just pure politeness and part of normal human interaction.

When you are driving do you thank every other driver who stops at a give way line?

Old July 4th 16, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

Simon Jester wrote:
On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 6:21:13 PM UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Simon Jester wrote:
On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 5:53:16 PM UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire
wrote:

I give drivers a quick thank you for stopping, I have yet to be
ignored when stood at a zebra crossing.

Thank you for proving my point.

You did not have a point.

The point is you are stood at a zebra crossing waiting for permission
from a motorist to cross. You have priority and should not be in fear
for your life for exercising that priority.

It's called common courtesy, something you as a dedicated scum
cyclist will never understand.

How childish.

Lack of denial noted.

I deny you have more right to use the roads than me.

I never said that I did.

Old July 4th 16, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

Simon Jester wrote:
On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 6:39:41 PM UTC+1, MrCheerful wrote:

It is just pure politeness and part of normal human interaction.

When you are driving do you thank every other driver who stops at a
give way line?

Of course he doesn't. This is what drivers are trained to do.

Old July 4th 16, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 04/07/2016 18:49, Simon Jester wrote:
On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 6:39:41 PM UTC+1, MrCheerful wrote:

It is just pure politeness and part of normal human interaction.

When you are driving do you thank every other driver who stops at a give way line?

Perhaps you do not understand how pedestrian crossings work. There is
no compunction upon the traffic to stop and give way to pedetrians
(except when they are actually on the crossing) Therefore, the
pedestrian waiting on the roadside is pleased when someone stops to let
him across, and thanks that person with a cheery wave, smile or similar,
these actions please the driver, cyclist, horse rider etc. and make him
more likely to stop next time he sees a person waiting to cross. Not
smiling, waving etc makes the wheeled road user less likely to stop on
future occasions.
Old July 4th 16, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

On Monday, 4 July 2016 18:31:20 UTC+1, Simon Jester wrote:

The point is you are stood at a zebra crossing waiting for permission from a motorist to cross.
You have priority and should not be in fear for your life for exercising that priority.

Indeed - if I am at a zebra and a car is approaching, but has plenty of time to stop if I walk out, then I will simply walk across there and then.

This saves time in the same way as when I drive on when three cars turn up at a mini roundabout - I make the other parties' mind up for them which then negates any "after you" dithering.

Old July 4th 16, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 04/07/2016 17:46, soup wrote:

On 04/07/2016 17:37, Simon Jester wrote:

Why do pedestrians thank drivers with a wave for stopping at zebra
crossings?

Probably for the same reasons as drivers thank each other with waves
when one stops as the other has right of way.

I frequently wave at cars that give me plenty room overtaking me,
cars that wait at side roads etc etc.
You may say they are just not 'breaking the law' but to me
politeness costs nothing and any situation where drivers do that extra
little bit of actually acknowledging you exist and treat you as other
traffic deserves my thanks/acknowledgment

It really IS amazing that some people are so consumed with bitterness
and spite that they simply cannot comprehend unforced politeness, isn't it?
Old July 4th 16, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 04/07/2016 18:39, MrCheerful wrote:
On 04/07/2016 17:37, Simon Jester wrote:

Why do pedestrians thank drivers with a wave for stopping at zebra
crossings?

Is it because motorists so rarely give way to pedestrians at zebra
crossings, let alone side roads?
Or are we so deep into the car culture that pedestrians are grateful
not to be mown down by cars every time the go out?

How many drivers thank other drivers for stopping at a give way line?

I can see no difference between a zebra crossing and a give way
junction from a vehicle users point of view.

It is just pure politeness and part of normal human interaction.

You're wasting your time and your figurative breath.

Old July 4th 16, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Wilkinson

On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 17:37:18 +0100, Simon Jester wrote:

Why do pedestrians thank drivers with a wave for stopping at zebra crossings?

Because the driver was being nice to them. Waving is polite.

Is it because motorists so rarely give way to pedestrians at zebra crossings

The pedestrian shouldn't expect the first car to give way. They should expect someone to give way once they're stood facing the road and it's obvious they want to cross and the car can stop at a sensible rate. So many times I see idiot drivers slam on their brakes (sometimes skidding) because they "must" stop for the pedestrian they nearly slid into. Or drivers stopping for a pedestrian that's just walking past the end of the zebra and didn't want to cross.

let alone side roads?

What? I assume you mean a pedestrian wants to cross a sideroad at the end of it, and a car is turning into that sideroad. The pedestrian has no more right of way than just crossing a plain straight road. They should check for cars from all three directions.

Or are we so deep into the car culture that pedestrians are grateful not to be mown down by cars every time the go out?

Adding pedestrian precincts and chicanes and speedbumps irritates motorists. And you expect them to be nice in return?!?

How many drivers thank other drivers for stopping at a give way line?

I often see drivers thank me (when I'm also driving) for stopping at a chicane where they have priority. Or for not going round a parked car and letting them through on their own side of the road. It's quite weird.

I can see no difference between a zebra crossing and a give way junction from a vehicle users point of view.

They're nothing like each other. A zebra only becomes active once a pedestrian wants to cross it, and has given cars enough time to notice them and stop. A give way line is usually at a road that is busier than the one you're exiting, so there is bound to be something to wait for.

--
The state of Texas has executed yet another inmate. But Unforeseen legal issues have arisen. The state has killed so many people this year, it must now register as a tobacco company.