Massachusetts Riders ... a question

Old July 28th 05, 03:43 AM
TomCAt

Default Massachusetts Riders ... a question

I am planning a tour from outside of Manchester, NH to Cape Cod. I thought
the best route would be out through Bedford, NH to Milford, NH and then into
MASS. Heading toward Lunenburg. Try to head in a south east direction.

Any suggestions? Any good routes? Towns? Places to avoid?

I want to arrive at the Cape Cod Canal Bridge. The southern one, I think
that is the Sagamore.

I will then head out toward Falmouth, and then up the Cape all the way to P
Town. Stop and take a swim along the way.

Any help with maps, routes, etc. is welcome.

Thanks, TomCAt

Old July 28th 05, 08:40 PM
Kinon O'Cann

"TomCAt" wrote in message
I am planning a tour from outside of Manchester, NH to Cape Cod. I thought
the best route would be out through Bedford, NH to Milford, NH and then
into MASS. Heading toward Lunenburg. Try to head in a south east
direction.

Any route is fine as long as you're somewhat familiar with it. Be sure to
map it out.

Any suggestions? Any good routes? Towns? Places to avoid?

I want to arrive at the Cape Cod Canal Bridge. The southern one, I think
that is the Sagamore.

Sagamore is the northern bridge. The Bourne bridge is the southern bridge.

I will then head out toward Falmouth, and then up the Cape all the way to
P Town. Stop and take a swim along the way.

Falmouth is near the very southern tip (near Woods Hole) of Cape Cod, and is
a significant side trip on the way to Provincetown. I strongly suggest you
get a good map of the area and see just how far out of the way it is. The
ride to Falmouth is OK, but not worth the work.

Any help with maps, routes, etc. is welcome.

Local bike shops sell a map that shows all the good bike routes in eastern
MA and the Cape. I'll post the name later on, once I find the map.

Thanks, TomCAt

Old July 28th 05, 11:45 PM
William O'Hara

Any suggestions? Any good routes? Towns? Places to avoid?

I want to arrive at the Cape Cod Canal Bridge. The southern one, I
think that is the Sagamore.

I will then head out toward Falmouth, and then up the Cape all the way
to P Town. Stop and take a swim along the way.

Any help with maps, routes, etc. is welcome.

You could incorporate the Saltonstall Bike Route.

It is signed the whole way from Boston. It isn't
bad as you might think from looking at the map.
I gather that you are worried about avoiding the
mess of downtown Boston.

Milford is out of the way. I actually think traffic
is worse there and there are some local streets
in the area with horrible construction.

Bill

--
---
William O'Hara
Old July 29th 05, 03:10 PM
OughtFour

Kinon O'Cann wrote:
Local bike shops sell a map that shows all the good bike routes in eastern
MA and the Cape. I'll post the name later on, once I find the map.

That would no doubt be Rubel's:

http://www.bikemaps.com/

widely available and indeed apropos the OP's request.

The maps overlap a town or so into NH, as I recall.

Two good rules of thumb in planning this route would be (1) stay outside of
the Rt. 128 - I-95 beltway and (2) stay away from the immediate coast, which
is very developed.

Old July 30th 05, 01:20 AM
William O'Hara

The maps overlap a town or so into NH, as I recall.

Two good rules of thumb in planning this route would be (1) stay
outside of the Rt. 128 - I-95 beltway and (2) stay away from the
immediate coast, which is very developed.

I disagree with this assessment.

Bill

--
---
William O'Hara
Old July 30th 05, 04:54 AM
Ron Wallenfang

"William O'Hara" wrote in message
. 97.142...
The maps overlap a town or so into NH, as I recall.

Two good rules of thumb in planning this route would be (1) stay
outside of the Rt. 128 - I-95 beltway and (2) stay away from the
immediate coast, which is very developed.

I disagree with this assessment.

Bill

--
---
William O'Hara

I agree with O'Hara. On my 2004 bike ride down the east coast, I found that
one thing the Boston, NYC and Philadelphia areas had in common was that
through bicycle riding was easier in the City than in the outer suburbs.

Old July 30th 05, 09:37 PM
William O'Hara

I agree with O'Hara. On my 2004 bike ride down the east coast, I
found that one thing the Boston, NYC and Philadelphia areas had in
common was that through bicycle riding was easier in the City than in
the outer suburbs.

I ride into Boston but not everyday. The traffic is
the same inside the 128 versus outside. You would
go through more hilly terrain northwest of Boston
and deal with the same amount of traffic with much
more for mileage. I also think that the coast
is worth it for the tour. Hingham, Cohasset, and
Scituate are fantastic places too. Although I
recommended consideration of Bike Route 1, which
goes inland.

Route 3A is much tougher through Quincy, but you
can take it to some very nice streets through
Hingham and further south.

Review this cuesheet for the CRW Cape in a Day.

http://www.crw.org/cgi-bin/cues2htm.pl?id=192

You can work out some routes to the east of 3A
in Hingham and Cohasset and such.

Google Maps is getting real good.

If you decide to do something like Bike Route,
then let me know. I live 1 1/2 miles from it.
I take it into Boston. The new route is much
better than the apparent old version.

Bill

--
---
William O'Hara
Old August 1st 05, 02:01 AM
Gary Smiley

Here's a link to the map of the Claire Saltonstall Bicycle route:
http://www.crw.org/claire.htm
This route attempts to go to the Cape from Boston, staying on secondary rods
with the least traffic.
The Cape-in-a-Day route is faster and more direct, but I suggest you leave
early in the morning to avoid city traffic.