Victoria biking

Old July 21st 05, 04:13 AM
DR

Default Victoria biking

I'm going to Victoria, BC, in a couple of weeks for a short stay, a weekend.
Anyway, I'm taking my bike. Anyone have some good routes to take? Thanks

Dale

Old July 22nd 05, 07:34 AM
David Tang

Galloping Goose Trail - http://www.gallopinggoosetrail.com/.
Also, http://www.crd.bc.ca/parks/galloping_goose.htm.

Old July 24th 05, 05:13 AM
Dennis P. Harris

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 20:13:47 -0700 in rec.bicycles.rides, "DR"
wrote:

I'm going to Victoria, BC, in a couple of weeks for a short stay, a weekend.
Anyway, I'm taking my bike. Anyone have some good routes to take? Thanks

you should boycott victoria until the city stops dumping raw
untreated sewage into the strait of georgia, the only large city
in north america that is doing so.

Old July 25th 05, 03:53 AM
Claire Petersky

"David Tang" wrote in message

"DR" wrote in message
news
I'm going to Victoria, BC, in a couple of weeks for a short stay, a
weekend. Anyway, I'm taking my bike. Anyone have some good routes to
take? Thanks

Dale

Galloping Goose Trail - http://www.gallopinggoosetrail.com/.
Also, http://www.crd.bc.ca/parks/galloping_goose.htm.

We had a good time on the Goose ourselves last summer. The unpaved section
out to Sooke is hard-packed, and you can ride it on touring/cross tires, if
you want to take it further than just the paved section. We also went around
from downtown all along the water, through Beacon Hill Park, and through Oak
Bay.

A bike shop near downtown had an excellent city bike map, which we used to
navigate our way. I don't remember the name of the shop, but you'd think any
ciyt LBS would sell you a copy.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:

Old July 31st 05, 05:21 AM
Jo

My husband & I spend a few days cycling around Victoria & the Saanich
Peninsula in early June. Great cycling there!

The Greater Victoria Cycling Coalition has put out some nice maps with
cycling routes in the area.
http://www.gvcc.bc.ca/recrides.shtml

You could probably get those maps at a local bike shop or a tourist
info center, such as the one across from the Empress hotel.

We went on a couple of rides shown on the Saanich map.
One day we headed out from downtown Victoria and essentially followed
Loop 2 on that map, which is about a 50 mile ride that takes you to the
top of the Saanich peninsula and back. We just happened to do it in
the opposite direction. This is a great ride and I highly recommend
it. http://www.gvcc.bc.ca/recrides/rides202.jpg
Another day we rode out to Butchart Gardens and spend a few hours there
and at the nearby Butterfly museum, it was only 20-something miles from
downtown Victoria.

Hope this helps, - Jo.