Convert drop bar to flat bar

Old September 30th 08, 08:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Default Convert drop bar to flat bar

On Oct 1, 3:01 am, Chalo wrote:
Karl Henderson wrote:

Because of spine surgery with fusion I need to connvert drop bar to flat
bar. I have 9 speed 105 F & R derailleurs with Ultegra shifters. Bike is
currently dual crankset although I have triple available. Question is
what shifters would be compatible with my 9 speed drivetrain. The front
derailleur is standard road bottom pull. Any help greatly appreciated.

There's no need to swap handlebars-- you can do the time-honored "DUI
conversion". Just loosen the stem and flip the handlebars over so the
drops are on top. Hot hot hot!

Let these Aussie blokes show you the manly way:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/chalo.colina/SO...87485019218274

Note that a full DUI conversion requires that you push the seat all
the way down to the frame.

Chalo

Old September 30th 08, 08:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Oct 1, 3:01 am, Chalo wrote:
Karl Henderson wrote:

Because of spine surgery with fusion I need to connvert drop bar to flat
bar. I have 9 speed 105 F & R derailleurs with Ultegra shifters. Bike is
currently dual crankset although I have triple available. Question is
what shifters would be compatible with my 9 speed drivetrain. The front
derailleur is standard road bottom pull. Any help greatly appreciated.

There's no need to swap handlebars-- you can do the time-honored "DUI
conversion". Just loosen the stem and flip the handlebars over so the
drops are on top. Hot hot hot!

Don't forget to ride while wearing tiny gym shorts and looong tooobe
socks with your chuckies! I'm thinking more 70s stylee!

Old September 30th 08, 09:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sep 30, 10:46*am, Karl Henderson wrote:
landotter wrote:
On Oct 1, 12:26 am, Hank wrote:
On Sep 30, 8:55 am, landotter wrote:

On Sep 30, 11:43 pm, Karl Henderson wrote:
landotter wrote:
On Sep 30, 9:16 pm, Karl Henderson wrote:
Because of spine surgery with fusion I need to connvert drop bar to flat
bar. I have 9 speed 105 F & R derailleurs with Ultegra shifters. Bike is
currently dual crankset although I have triple available. Question is
what shifters would be compatible with my 9 speed drivetrain. The front
derailleur is standard road bottom pull. Any help greatly appreciated.
If you use Paul's Thumbies adapters with standard bar end shifters,
you can run what you've got, no problem--and in the future--if ya want
to switch back to drops with a stem extender--just plug the suckers
into the bar-ends and you're good to go!
http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp...t=43&brand=185
Don't give up multiple positions because you're more upright! Try a
trekking bar--I think they're the bees knees
http://www.wallbike.com/oddsnends/kalloybars.html
or from Nashbar:
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=9756
Guaranteed to make you look all Euro-trashy! Wear brown socks with 'em.
Excellent suggestions. Thinking about it.
There's also the option of just cranking the bars up to the sky with a
stem extender of some sort and keeping what you've got. If you're
currently running threadless--those Delta extenders are only $20--and
give you nearly 4" of lift with no compromise in front end rigidity.
If you're threaded, a Nitto stem will do the same thing for around
$40.
Also the option of a new stem, or flipping what ya got.- Hide quoted text -
Landotter is correct. Flat bars aren't easier on your back, tall stems
are.

But an entire range of flat-bar bikes has been manufactured upon this
misconception! I don't mind flat bars, though--I can ride a good 50
hard miles on some risers--problem is that manufacturers put mtb wide
bars on flat bar bikes when you don't need the leverage, doubling the
stupid--putting your hands in a sorta dumb position AND stressing your
shoulder. Cut down flat or riser bars are bearable--but IMHO butterfly/
trekking bars should be a heck of a lot more common--If I had to
choose one handlebar, I'd take it over my drop bar.

Thanks folks. I believe I will try the riser route first (least
expensive) and see how that goes.- Hide quoted text -

I recently had lumbar surgery as well, but am avoiding the fusion for
now.
I simply got one of the Ritchey stems that adjusts to various taller
angles in a 2cm shorter variety.
That got me up there far enough to start and I've been able to
gradually lower the angle.

-pete
Old October 1st 08, 01:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Chalo Colina wrote:
Karl Henderson wrote:
Because of spine surgery with fusion I need to connvert drop bar to flat
bar. I have 9 speed 105 F & R derailleurs with Ultegra shifters. Bike is
currently dual crankset although I have triple available. Question is
what shifters would be compatible with my 9 speed drivetrain. The front
derailleur is standard road bottom pull. Any help greatly appreciated.

There's no need to swap handlebars-- you can do the time-honored "DUI
conversion". Just loosen the stem and flip the handlebars over so the
drops are on top. Hot hot hot![...]

If I were rich, I would buy something foo foo like a Serotta or Colnago
and set it up DUI style.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
If my posts in general annoy or offend, please kill-file.
Old October 1st 08, 03:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Karl Henderson

Karl Henderson wrote:
Because of spine surgery with fusion I need to connvert drop bar to flat
bar. I have 9 speed 105 F & R derailleurs with Ultegra shifters. Bike is
currently dual crankset although I have triple available. Question is
what shifters would be compatible with my 9 speed drivetrain. The front
derailleur is standard road bottom pull. Any help greatly appreciated.

Many thanks for all suggestions. Believe I will go with riser and adj.
stem later if needed.
Old October 1st 08, 06:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
Tom Sherman wrote:

Chalo Colina wrote:
Karl Henderson wrote:
Because of spine surgery with fusion I need to connvert drop bar to flat
bar. I have 9 speed 105 F & R derailleurs with Ultegra shifters. Bike is
currently dual crankset although I have triple available. Question is
what shifters would be compatible with my 9 speed drivetrain. The front
derailleur is standard road bottom pull. Any help greatly appreciated.

There's no need to swap handlebars-- you can do the time-honored "DUI
conversion". Just loosen the stem and flip the handlebars over so the
drops are on top. Hot hot hot![...]

If I were rich, I would buy something foo foo like a Serotta or Colnago
and set it up DUI style.

frou frou

--
Michael Press
Old October 1st 08, 06:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dvt

Michael Press wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:
If I were rich, I would buy something foo foo like a Serotta or Colnago
and set it up DUI style.

frou frou

to do
beaucoup (with American accent, as in boo coo bucks)
mumu
moo goo (often followed by gai pan)
who's who
ooh ooh ooh (as in http://kids.niehs.nih.gov/lyrics/skipto.htm)
two by two

And if I were rich, I might set up a 'bent in the DUI style. Oh wait...
they already are!

:^)

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu
Old October 1st 08, 07:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Oct 2, 1:37 am, dvt wrote:
Michael Press wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:
If I were rich, I would buy something foo foo like a Serotta or Colnago
and set it up DUI style.

frou frou

to do
beaucoup (with American accent, as in boo coo bucks)
mumu
moo goo (often followed by gai pan)
who's who
ooh ooh ooh (as inhttp://kids.niehs.nih.gov/lyrics/skipto.htm)
two by two

And if I were rich, I might set up a 'bent in the DUI style. Oh wait...
they already are!

That's a trike--good if ya nod off, as they don't tip over.