Linear pull brake levers???

Old October 5th 04, 06:04 PM

Tom Nakashima writes:

Modulation! Always try the brakes on a straight section before you
need to to sense what response they will give. Humidity has a
large effect so this is something reasonable to do on the first
descent on any ride.

Humidity has a large effect on braking? I also use the Kool Stop
salmon color brake pads, but have only noticed a great difference in
braking when it dry or when it's wet.

Surfaces, especially smooth ones, have adhesion properties that are
strongly affected by adsorbed volatiles, water being the most common
one. In the days of drum brakes on cars, wheel lock-up occurred with
high humidity occasionally and more frequently grabby brakes on first
applications. That is the best example I can think of to demonstrate
the effect.

Humidity often causes brake squeal. Recently, while riding over
Mt. Hamilton, rising out of the fog in the valley, I got a screeching
response from my brakes on the descent until I got the rims hot. Then
I had to do some light brake applications to get rid of the squealing
surface features that had generated, some sort of caterpillar motion
ripples. Then the brakes were silent and effective as usual.

http://mthamilton.ucolick.org/hamcam/

See the fog in the morning!

Jobst Brandt

Old October 5th 04, 06:24 PM
Tom Nakashima

wrote in message
Tom Nakashima writes:

[...]

Good explanation. I have also had brake squeal in the early morning on
descents, and have had it disappear, but never crossed my mind that it was
the humidity which caused this problem. I would also feather my brakes to
get the squeal to cease. Great information to know.
thanks,
-tom

Old October 6th 04, 05:37 PM
gwhite

Matt O'Toole wrote:

Francesco Devittori wrote:

gwhite wrote:

I bought some KoolStop salmon pads per recommendation here in rbr.
I have to say I was dissappointed. I find the "regular" *black*
Kool Stop Eagle Claw 2 pads to be distinctly superior, at least for
dry conditions (road riding). I don't ride much in the rain anymore.

I also bought some KoolStop salmon pads and my experience is
different. I'm really happy with them, I found they are a lot more
powerful than the Dura Ace pads (so far I never tried them in wet
conditions): the first time I braked hard I almost went down...
I also found they often squeak, but the problem usually goes away
after a while.
My rims are standard Open Pros.

I've been riding both the salmon and the black for the last 15 years, since the
Mathauser days. The salmon are indeed better -- but mostly in the wet.
However, the black are the next best thing, compared to any other brand. Either
one is *way* better than Shimano, which are insufferable. Later model Shimanos
stop the bike OK, but they still sound like they're grinding your rims to
pieces -- which in fact they do.

Like I wrote, I don't know about wet -- I have not used my salmons in wet
conditions. But for dry, and comparing black to salmon, I would say the black
pads (Eagle Claws) are unquestionably better.

You noted the wet difference/comparison, but what about dry?

Old October 6th 04, 07:28 PM
Matt O'Toole

gwhite wrote:

Like I wrote, I don't know about wet -- I have not used my salmons in
wet conditions. But for dry, and comparing black to salmon, I would
say the black pads (Eagle Claws) are unquestionably better.

You noted the wet difference/comparison, but what about dry?

Not much difference.

Matt O.