Frame Pump

Old August 25th 14, 01:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Frame Pump

On Sunday, August 24, 2014 7:31:51 PM UTC-4, JoeRiel wrote:
Jeff Liebermann writes:

On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 15:00:11 -0700, Joerg

wrote:

Possibly the air is so unhealthy that it attacked the rubber and, as

Jeff hinted, made it swell. Then I'd consider moving :-)

Jeff never hints or swells, but does put some effort into tact and

diplomacy. Notice the diplomacy where I didn't suggest that the OP

used the bicycle pump as an oil dipstick or for spraying bug killer.

Maybe you could take a small round file and hone it out some until it's

a nice snug fit? Especially since you threw the stopper away anyhow.

Or, get a better bicycle pump. The problem is the conventional

bicycle pump is well... so conventional. What is needed here is

something more exotic, modern, cool, etc:

Seat Post Pump:

http://www.thinkbiologic.com/products/postpump-20-seatpost

The Moulton---which still sports a Zefal---came with a pump that fit

inside the very long seatpost. It wasn't integral with the post, but

could be stored there. The Zefal might fit there, but never tried. It's

clever, but removing the seatpost is one more thing I'd rather not deal

with when fixing a flat. With my luck I'd have misplaced the allan key

and would be SOL.

The Pump Hub:

http://pump-hub.com

The iPump:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1112972433/ipump-the-lightest-air-pump-ever-invented

http://ipump.co.jp

There are also airless bicycle tires, which eliminate the problem

entirely:

http://www.designboom.com/technology/airless-bicycle-tires-energy-return-wheel-by-britek/

http://www.airlesstiresnow.com/Airless-Bicycle-Tires_c_123.html

--

Joe Riel

does the BP unscrew your post when crossing the border ?
Old August 25th 14, 01:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 25/08/14 09:36, Joe Riel wrote:
James writes:

On 25/08/14 02:44, Joe Riel wrote:
A year or two ago I replaced the Zefal hpx frame pump with a Topeak
Master Baster. Have only had to use it a half dozen times, but notice
that the inner diameter of the rubber gasket has appeared to shrunk
(kind of hard to believe). Consequently the head of the pump is harder
to connect to a presta valve than desired. Does anyone carry
replacement gaskets? Should I look for a better pump? The Lezyne
seems well designed, but I have my doubts about a mini-pump and also
don't like replacing something that ought to be fixable.

I have a Lezyne mini-pump. Beautifully machined from aluminium,
flexible hose that can screw on or push on. Great little pump.
Though I don't get many punctures, it just works when I use it.

I may have asked this before. Can you pump it with one end fixed,
say, pushing against the ground or a convenient post? I prefer to
do that, when possible, rather than working both arms.

No. It's not designed to be used that way. I never used my Zefal that
way either. To me it places too much stress on the valve stem -
something the hose connection alleviates very well.

--
JS
Old August 25th 14, 01:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 25/08/14 09:46, Joe Riel wrote:
James writes:

On 25/08/14 02:44, Joe Riel wrote:
A year or two ago I replaced the Zefal hpx frame pump with a Topeak
Master Baster. Have only had to use it a half dozen times, but notice
that the inner diameter of the rubber gasket has appeared to shrunk
(kind of hard to believe). Consequently the head of the pump is harder
to connect to a presta valve than desired. Does anyone carry
replacement gaskets? Should I look for a better pump? The Lezyne
seems well designed, but I have my doubts about a mini-pump and also
don't like replacing something that ought to be fixable.

I have a Lezyne mini-pump. Beautifully machined from aluminium,
flexible hose that can screw on or push on. Great little pump.
Though I don't get many punctures, it just works when I use it.

Something I've occasionally wondered about the pumps with a hose.
Won't the volume of air in the hose reduce both the maximum
attainable pressure and the pumping efficiency? Hmmm. In practice
it might not be an issue, unless it were really narrow to reduce
the decrease in max attainable pressure.

Why should it? The amount of air in the hose is small, and there's a
valve in the pump, AFAIK, to maintain the pressure in the hose between
strokes.

--
JS
Old August 25th 14, 01:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Joe Riel wrote:
:James writes:

: On 25/08/14 02:44, Joe Riel wrote:
: A year or two ago I replaced the Zefal hpx frame pump with a Topeak
: Master Baster. Have only had to use it a half dozen times, but notice
: that the inner diameter of the rubber gasket has appeared to shrunk
: (kind of hard to believe). Consequently the head of the pump is harder
: to connect to a presta valve than desired. Does anyone carry
: replacement gaskets? Should I look for a better pump? The Lezyne
: seems well designed, but I have my doubts about a mini-pump and also
: don't like replacing something that ought to be fixable.
:
:
:
: I have a Lezyne mini-pump. Beautifully machined from aluminium,
: flexible hose that can screw on or push on. Great little pump.
: Though I don't get many punctures, it just works when I use it.

:Something I've occasionally wondered about the pumps with a hose.
:Won't the volume of air in the hose reduce both the maximum
:attainable pressure and the pumping efficiency? Hmmm. In practice
:it might not be an issue, unless it were really narrow to reduce
:the decrease in max attainable pressure.

I have, and use from time to time, a topeak road morph G. I've never
used to pump anything more than 60 psi, because I have reasonably
sized tires, but I've lent it to people who have pumped up stupid
skinny tires to 120psi, with no real problem. compared to the tube,
the hose holds a tiny amount of air, and ther'es a check valve, to
keep air from flowing back from the hose. so yeah, you have to pump
the hose up to whatever pressure you're going to, but that's not a big
deal. Worst case would an extra stroke or two.

--
sig 61
Old August 25th 14, 02:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/24/2014 2:27 PM, Joe Riel wrote:
Lou Holtman writes:

AMuzi wrote:
Zefal HPX was the high spot in pump design.

With the use of only half a dozen times in two years you may consider CO2
catridges. I'm done with pumps. Full size don't fit if you want two
waterbottle mounts and mini pumps are junk/take too long/don't reach more
than 5 bar.

Yeah, I've considered it. Don't really like the idea of paying each
time I have to inflate a tube on the road---insult to injury. Also, a
pump has saved me a few times where cartridges would not.

I drive sag for our club's century ride every year. I can remember two
incidents where guys flatted twice and were out of luck with their
cartridges, waiting at the roadside for me to rescue them with my floor
pump. Naturally, those guys are the ones who were trying to save weight
so they could finish with a low elapsed time. The waiting is more
painful for them!

I led a club ride today, and helped a woman fix her flat. I never
considered using her mini pump. My Zefal is just too good.

I mount the
pump under the top tube, so still carry two water bottles, though in one
I keep a spare tube, levers, and a Kool-stop tire jack. The jack is a
recent addition; never needed one for years but after straining
intercostals a few times mounting the tire find it convenient and avoid
the month long side pain. I can mount the front wheel by hand, but
the rear rim is significantly harder.

This woman's rear tire was amazingly tough to un-mount. First she
struggled with three tire irons (or, really, tire "plastics"). Then I
struggled with three tire irons. Then the biggest & strongest guy on
the ride said "Let me use my Quik Stik" and confidently stepped in, but
did no better than we did. Eventually, two of us working three tire
levers succeeded.

The woman said she'd also had a flat about a week ago, on a solo ride,
and it took her an hour to change the tire.

I don't remember noting the tire brand, but they looked similar to
Continental Gatorskins. Probably 23mm, and definitely kevlar beads,
which I always find more difficult to handle.

And BTW, she abandoned the ride because the bead on that tire was
tearing away from the sidewall. That may have had something to do with
the flats.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 25th 14, 02:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

James writes:

[...]

Do you have problems unscrewing it from tubes with removable stems? Had a
guy the other day with that problem.

--
duane
Old August 25th 14, 02:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, August 24, 2014 7:36:35 PM UTC-4, JoeRiel wrote:
James writes:

[...]

llllllllllllll

scroll down to pseudo floor pumps at $44

equipped with a wire stand

http://goo.gl/wo9u2i
Old August 25th 14, 02:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Hey, cool! All those are Innovative! What more could you desire?

I know I'd take great comfort from knowing my iPump was "100 percent
efficient," especially during the 400th pump stroke trying to inflate a
tire during a nighttime rainstorm. And I like the fact that it's
"supper cool." [sic]

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 25th 14, 02:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

James writes:

[...]

I don't know, because I don't know if the tubes I'm using have removable
stems or not.

I think I have some of these in my stockpile.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/a...e/rp-prod20485

--
JS
Old August 25th 14, 03:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, August 24, 2014 4:46:09 PM UTC-7, JoeRiel wrote:
James writes:

[...]

One data point -- I have the Pro mini (clown) pump (Shimano's direct knock off of the Lezyne. It takes a zillion pumps to get the tube up to pressure.. BUT, one of my riding buddies has the Lezyne pump. I flatted last weekend while riding with him, and to speed the process, he prepared his pump while I was stripping out the tube. I expect to pump forever, but the pump filled the tire in a remarkably short time -- and to a high pressure. I was really impressed. I'm going to get one.

It is not as convenient as the Topeak Mini-morph (which does have a little foot peg and turns in to a comical floor pump), but the Lezyne is smaller and more rugged.

- Jay Beattie.