Cyclist killed on my route tonight

Old September 3rd 14, 03:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Cyclist killed on my route tonight

On 9/3/2014 2:34 AM, Lou Holtman wrote:

On my ride last fryday I was gaining on a large group (20-30 persons).

I was still negotiation with myself whether I would ride with that group
for a while. I decided not to. At that moment a van came from the opposite
direction and while they were riding two abreast they had ride closer to
each other to let the van pass on that narrow road. Kkk..beng two
handlebars
touched each other and three riders crashed and went into the cornfield.

Groups larger that 8 people...not for me.

Another challenge can be city riding with others, even just a couple
others. I enjoy exploring cities by bike, but unless motor vehicle
traffic is very low, it can be tricky doing it with even a few friends.

Any left turn in traffic, for example, involves personal judgment about
when the gap in oncoming traffic is sufficient; and part of that depends
on how ready the rider is - i.e. stopped and standing? or clipped in and
barely moving? or riding at speed? In a group, one often has a mix of
readiness.

Then there's the problem of getting the entire group through an
intersection before a light turns red. I've seen riders blatantly crash
a red light because they're afraid of losing their buddies.

All of these problems can be handled, but they do add complexity.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 3rd 14, 03:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John White[_2_]

In article
,
Duane wrote:

A good friend just fell a couple weeks ago breaking her collar bone
and some ribs. 4th collar bone this season.

I'm convinced that the collar bone is nature's shear pin, for cyclists
at least.
Old September 3rd 14, 03:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/3/2014 9:09 AM, John White wrote:
In article
,
Duane wrote:

A good friend just fell a couple weeks ago breaking her collar bone
and some ribs. 4th collar bone this season.

I'm convinced that the collar bone is nature's shear pin, for cyclists
at least.

In my cycling research over the years I've found a few
other breakable bones.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 3rd 14, 03:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, September 3, 2014 10:09:21 AM UTC-4, John White wrote:
In article

,

Duane wrote:

A good friend just fell a couple weeks ago breaking her collar bone

and some ribs. 4th collar bone this season.

I'm convinced that the collar bone is nature's shear pin, for cyclists

at least.

NNNNNNNNNNNN

http://goo.gl/X3VloI
Old September 3rd 14, 03:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, September 2, 2014 11:34:10 PM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:
On Wednesday, September 3, 2014 5:30:26 AM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:

On Tuesday, September 2, 2014 12:07:35 PM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:

Just read that a cyclist was killed this evening. He was riding in a group

of 12 which I had passed just10 minutes before. The group had to overtake

some pedestrians. The man was riding in the back of the group and didn't

noticed the rest was overtaking the pedestrians, hit the rear wheel of the

man in front of him, fell in the middle of the narrow country road and was

run over by a truck that couldn.t avoid him. F*ck.

http://www.nu.nl/binnenland/3867505/...-heibloem.html

I hate riding in big groups. Always someone who is not paying attention.

Wow, that is very sad. Crashing in a pack should not have such serious consequences. In the US, the truck driver would be presumed negligent for failing to maintain sufficient distance to avoid a rear end collision.

-- Jay Beattie.

As I understand it now it was a front end collision. Still don't understand why this could have happen. When a truck comes from the opposite direction the group should not have overtaken the pedestrians on that narrow road. It leaves too little room for an error. Sad. I don't now the legal consequences for the truck driver but he was probably as far right as possible.

On my ride last fryday I was gaining on a large group (20-30 persons). I was still negotiation with myself whether I would ride with that group for a while. I decided not to. At that moment a van came from the opposite direction and while they were riding two abreast they had ride closer to each other to let the van pass on that narrow road. Kkk..beng two handlebars touched each other and three riders crashed and went into the cornfield.

Groups larger that 8 people...not for me.

Well, if it's a large group of squirrels. Standard Tuesday night race at Portland International Raceway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6pruxdPS4g Very few crashes in packs in the 80+ range for 1/2/3.

OTOH, I don't drop in with large groups of people who are not racers and who I do not know.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old September 3rd 14, 04:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Portland International Raceway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?vöpruxdPS4g
Very few crashes in packs in the 80+ range for 1/2/3.

OTOH, I don't drop in with large groups of people who are not racers and
who I do not know.

Sure but I think part of the problem is the ones that are racers but not
riding on a closed track.

+1 on the not riding with groups you don't know.

--
duane
Old September 3rd 14, 04:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Duane wrote:

A good friend just fell a couple weeks ago breaking her collar bone
and some ribs. 4th collar bone this season.

I'm convinced that the collar bone is nature's shear pin, for cyclists
at least.

In my cycling research over the years I've found a few other breakable bones.

Wrist comes to mind when trying to block a fall. But I see what he means.

--
duane
Old September 3rd 14, 05:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

On Wednesday, September 3, 2014 12:30:45 AM UTC+2, wrote:
On Tuesday, September 2, 2014 3:07:35 PM UTC-4, Lou Holtman wrote:

Just read that a cyclist was killed this evening. He was riding in a group

of 12 which I had passed just10 minutes before. The group had to overtake

some pedestrians. The man was riding in the back of the group and didn't

noticed the rest was overtaking the pedestrians, hit the rear wheel of the

man in front of him, fell in the middle of the narrow country road and was

run over by a truck that couldn.t avoid him. F*ck.

http://www.nu.nl/binnenland/3867505/...-heibloem.html

I hate riding in big groups. Always someone who is not paying attention.

--

Lou

when you find gruesome photos post the links wudja ?

lowlanders watch Stewart The Stock Car Driver crush the boy racer ?

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...t=d irectlink

The article in the newspaper said that he was killed instantaneously. Imagine one moment you are chatting with your fellow rider 15 seconds later you are dead. F*ck again.

Lou
Old September 3rd 14, 05:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

On Wednesday, September 3, 2014 4:01:26 PM UTC+2, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Often I set the route we ride. My routes avoid cities and towns as much as possible. Explore cities with a group on a bike? That is asking for trouble.

Lou
Old September 3rd 14, 07:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/3/2014 12:58 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't say it's asking for trouble. It just requires more care than
a ride on empty rural roads. When I lead such group rides, I do put
thought into the route, and I'll usually avoid the busiest roads.

Over the years, I've led quite a few rides to various local ethnic
restaurants. The riders never know the route ahead of time, nor what
type of restaurant we'll visit until we get there. In almost all cases,
the restaurants are in cities or towns where there is significant
traffic - otherwise, they'd go out of business! But we've always done well.

BTW, I'm surprised at your worry. I thought everything was supposed to
be wonderful for cycling over there.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Cyclist killed Tom Crispin[_4_] UK 17 March 24th 11 01:00 PM
OAP killed by cyclist Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 26 November 21st 10 08:25 AM
Pedestrian killed by cyclist (BNE) and cyclist killed by car (MEL) Adrian Cook Australia 26 July 20th 06 03:55 AM
{QLD} Cyclist killed in hit and run cfsmtb Australia 8 May 3rd 06 07:18 AM
Another cyclist Killed!! smiles Racing 9 August 30th 04 03:44 PM