Flat repair

Old August 10th 18, 07:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

Default Flat repair

I had to repair a flat. Have some questions.

Is it best to apply patch to a completly flat tube?

I found a small copper wire in tire.

Is there something to minimize what can puncture tire?

Thanks
Old August 10th 18, 01:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 1:14:13 AM UTC-5, Andy wrote:
I had to repair a flat. Have some questions.

Is it best to apply patch to a completly flat tube?

I found a small copper wire in tire.

Is there something to minimize what can puncture tire?

Thanks

What is a good quality tire liner?

Andy
Old August 10th 18, 01:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/10/2018 1:14 AM, Andy wrote:
I had to repair a flat. Have some questions.

Is it best to apply patch to a completly flat tube?

I found a small copper wire in tire.

Is there something to minimize what can puncture tire?

Thanks

Pathing covered in images 4 through 8 he
http://www.yellowjersey.org/tubfix.html

If you find a way to escape flat tires do write back.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 10th 18, 02:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 7:47:58 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/10/2018 1:14 AM, Andy wrote:
I had to repair a flat. Have some questions.

Is it best to apply patch to a completly flat tube?

I found a small copper wire in tire.

Is there something to minimize what can puncture tire?

Thanks

Pathing covered in images 4 through 8 he
http://www.yellowjersey.org/tubfix.html

If you find a way to escape flat tires do write back.

One way is to not ride. :-)

Andy
Old August 10th 18, 02:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

On 8/10/2018 1:14 AM, Andy wrote:
I had to repair a flat. Have some questions.

Is it best to apply patch to a completly flat tube?

I found a small copper wire in tire.

Is there something to minimize what can puncture tire?

Thanks

Pathing covered in images 4 through 8 he
http://www.yellowjersey.org/tubfix.html

If you find a way to escape flat tires do write back.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Where does the stitching come in ?

My rim has a narrow piece of rubber in the inside.
Guess it protects from the spokes.

Andy
Old August 10th 18, 03:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

:
: Is it best to apply patch to a completly flat tube?
:
: I found a small copper wire in tire.
:
: Is there something to minimize what can puncture tire?
:
: Thanks
:

:Pathing covered in images 4 through 8 he
:http://www.yellowjersey.org/tubfix.html

I will strongly suggest you sand your tubes. Sanding not only cleans
the surface, it roughens the surface and increases the area that glue
and cushion gum on the patch have to bond to. Done right, there's a
30 or 40% increase in tensile strength of the patch.

:If you find a way to escape flat tires do write back.

Foam rubber!

--
sig 49
Old August 10th 18, 03:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-08-10 05:12, Andy wrote:
On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 1:14:13 AM UTC-5, Andy wrote:
I had to repair a flat. Have some questions.

Is it best to apply patch to a completly flat tube?

I found a small copper wire in tire.

Is there something to minimize what can puncture tire?

Thanks

What is a good quality tire liner?

I found Mr.Tuffy liners to be quite good. Stay away from cheap thin and
lightweight stuff.

I never ride without them. I also have thorn-resistant tubes in both
bikes (yes, also the road bike). In the MTB tires the liner is
additionally covered by a non-inflated slit regular tube to prevent
chafing. All this increased the weight of each bike by a few pounds but
not having flats is so worth it. Didn't have a flat in years and I ride
through some nasty turf which includes lots of these thorns:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...idum_seeds.jpg

In observance of Murphy's law they usually lay on the ground with the
long protrusion pointing upwards.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old August 10th 18, 04:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 9:38:24 AM UTC-5, David Scheidt wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
:On 8/10/2018 1:14 AM, Andy wrote:
: I had to repair a flat. Have some questions.
:
: Is it best to apply patch to a completly flat tube?
:
: I found a small copper wire in tire.
:
: Is there something to minimize what can puncture tire?
:
: Thanks
:

:Pathing covered in images 4 through 8 he
:http://www.yellowjersey.org/tubfix.html

I will strongly suggest you sand your tubes. Sanding not only cleans
the surface, it roughens the surface and increases the area that glue
and cushion gum on the patch have to bond to. Done right, there's a
30 or 40% increase in tensile strength of the patch.

:If you find a way to escape flat tires do write back.

I sanded the tube, applied the patch and clamped it in a vise for an hour.

Andy
Old August 10th 18, 05:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Claus Aßmann

Andy wrote:
I sanded the tube, applied the patch and clamped it in a vise for an hour.

It takes just a few seconds of _high_ pressure to bond (not sure
if "vulcanize" is the correct term?) and then you can immediately
check it.

--
Note: please read the netiquette before posting. I will almost never
reply to top-postings which include a full copy of the previous
Old August 10th 18, 07:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Cimperman

On 8/10/2018 1:14 AM, Andy wrote:
I had to repair a flat. Have some questions.

Is it best to apply patch to a completly flat tube?

I found a small copper wire in tire.

Is there something to minimize what can puncture tire?

Thanks

If the wire was dark-copper colored, it was probably a car tire belt
wire. The wire used in car tire belts is bronze plated carbon steel. The
carbon steel rusts away pretty quickly in most climates, but the bronze
protects it somewhat from corrosion.