Need help - Reynolds 20-30 or 531?

Old August 7th 05, 03:56 AM
Dave

Default Need help - Reynolds 20-30 or 531?

I have a couple of Raleighs from the 70's. One is a "Record Ace" and I
know that the tubing is Reynolds 20-30. The other is an unknown
Raleigh, because all of the decals are gone, except the "Made in
England" one.

So how do I tell if my mystery Raleigh is Reynolds 531 or 20-30? It
seems pretty light, but all I have have is the serial number. The
original paint - sky blue - could have been from a number of different
models. Are there any tell-tale signs? Thanks for the help.
Old August 7th 05, 05:36 AM

Dear Dave:

The better Raleighs were made at the Carleton works and sometimes were
identified as such on the badge. The better frames had forged
dropouts, Campy on the International and Pro. Take a few pictures of
the head lug, seat cluster, dropouts and and fork crown, and post them.
Any old Raliegh rider could probably help you from there.

good luck

jn

"Thursday"

Old August 7th 05, 12:00 PM
Morten Reippuert Knudsen

Dave wrote:
I have a couple of Raleighs from the 70's. One is a "Record Ace" and I
know that the tubing is Reynolds 20-30. The other is an unknown
Raleigh, because all of the decals are gone, except the "Made in
England" one.

1020, 2030, 2040 etc usually refes to the kind of steel, in this case
it would be high-tension steel with a relativly low content of cabon.
- no where near the quelety of ordinary cromo or Reynolds 531.

--
Morten Reippuert Knudsen :-) http://blog.reippuert.dk

PowerMac G5: 1.6GHz, 1.25GB RAM, 300+300GB SATA, 8xDVD+/-RW, Bluetooth
mus + tastatur, R9600PRO, iSight, eyeTV200 & LaCie Photon18Vision TFT
Old August 8th 05, 10:25 PM
Tom Reingold

Morten Reippuert Knudsen wrote:
Dave wrote:

I have a couple of Raleighs from the 70's. One is a "Record Ace" and I
know that the tubing is Reynolds 20-30. The other is an unknown
Raleigh, because all of the decals are gone, except the "Made in
England" one.

1020, 2030, 2040 etc usually refes to the kind of steel, in this case
it would be high-tension steel with a relativly low content of cabon.
- no where near the quelety of ordinary cromo or Reynolds 531.

High tension is a relative term. 2030 was low tension compared with what
we would like to own, but they can say that because it basically means
"good quality" which can be anyone's estimation.

If you can post pictures, I have a good chance of identifying the model,
and I can even estimate the original selling price. I'm very familiar
with 1970's Raleighs.

--
Tom Reingold
Noo Joizy
Old August 8th 05, 10:49 PM
bfd

If you got an old Raleigh and a serial number, Sheldon has an article
that might help:

http://retroraleighs.com/dating.html

Old August 8th 05, 11:27 PM
Donald Gillies

RALEIGH 20-30 high-carbon tubing is steel plain-gauge tubing. It was
used on my 28 lbs Raleigh Grand Prix, circa 1972, and the USA Record
Ace, a low-level bike in the USA, circa 1978. In the 23.5" size those
frames were pretty light & lively. At the time it was possible to
build a 22 lbs bike, this bike was 6 lbs heavier and perhaps half of
the weight was on the frameset, and half was on the components (steel
crank, hubs, rims, peddles, etc.)

Send me a photo of the other bicycle including lugs & dropouts & fork
crown and I can probably identify it for you - year and model. By the
way, most of the low-end raleighs were made by Gazelle of Holland and
so a "Made in England" bicycle is probably a better bike than your
Record Ace.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA
Old August 8th 05, 11:40 PM
Donald Gillies

A funny thing about the English Raleighs is that the high-end bikes
had unique lugs & fork crown, and the low-end bikes changed lugs &
crowns & dropouts & brazing almost every year, and so its actually
possible to identify a "nude 1970's raleigh" with no paint, down to
the year, in most cases ...

Here are the ingredients used to identify an old Raleigh 10-speed :

Serial Number: Bottom Bracket(high end), Rear Dropout(low end)
Dropouts : Huret/Zeus(Competition), Campy(Pro/Int), Simplex(RRA), Stamped
Seatpost Size : 26.8, 27.0(531 butted), 27.2(531 double butted), 27.4(753)
Lugs : Bocama, Nervex, Prugnat-Long, Prugnat-Competition, Capella
Brazing : Seat Tube over-the-top(1972, earlier), Normal(1973-onwards)
Rear Brake Stop : single(1974 or before), double(1975-onwards)
Top-tube Cable Stops : Absent(Competition, Pro, Team), Present(Low-end)
Fork Crown : Vagner(3 types), Zeus(Pro)
Bottom Bracket : Generic, Nervex, Bocama
Bottom Bracket Braze-ons : None(International, Professional, RRA), present
Downtube Shifter Braze-ons : Competition, Professional, Team
Chain peg : Team
Rear Centerpull Stop : Present(not RRA/Competition(1976)/Pro), Absent(lowend)
Chrome : Front Forks, Rear Forks, Fork Crown(Pro/SuperCourse), Lugs(Internat'nl)

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA
Old August 8th 05, 11:52 PM
Donald Gillies

A funny thing about the English Raleighs is that the high-end bikes
had unique lugs & fork crown, and the low-end bikes changed lugs &
crowns & dropouts & brazing almost every year, and so its actually
possible to identify a "nude 1970's raleigh" with no paint, down to
the year, in most cases ...

Here are the ingredients used to identify an old Raleigh 10-speed :

Comp: Competition
CompGS: Competition GS, 1978-onwards
Pro: Professional
Int'l: International
RRA: Special model offered only in 1973

Serial Number: Bottom Bracket(high end), Rear Dropout(low end)
Dropouts: Huret/Zeus(Comp/70-76), Campy(Pro/Int'l,CompGS), Simplex(RRA),Stamped
Seatpost Size : 26.8, 27.0(531 butted), 27.2(531 double butted),27.4(753)
Lugs : Bocama, Nervex, Prugnat-Long, Prugnat-Comp, Capella
Seat Lugs: Wrapover(1972, earlier), Traditional(1973-onwards)
Rear Brake Stop : single(1974 or before), double(1975-onwards)
Top-tube Cable Stops : Absent(CompGS, Pro, Team, RRA), Present(Low-end)
Fork Crown : Vagner(3 types), Zeus(Pro,Comp(1974-6),SuperTourer(1974-6))
Bottom Bracket : Generic, Nervex(Comp-67), Bocama
Bottom Bracket Braze-ons : None(Pro, Comp(1974-6),Int'l, RRA),Present
Downtube Shifter Braze-ons : CompGS, Pro, Team
Chain peg : Team
Rear Centerpull Stop : Absent(RRA/CompGS/Pro),Present(low-end)
Chrome : Front Forks, Rear Forks, Fork Crown(Pro/SuperCourse,Int'l),Lugs(Int'l)

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA