Preserving polished aluminum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 11th 17, 01:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Preserving polished aluminum

On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 04:57:18 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Wednesday, August 9, 2017 at 7:13:57 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 17:19:27 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 8/9/2017 2:28 PM, Ashevilliot wrote:
On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 1:40:03 PM UTC-4, Doug Landau wrote:

Anybody can fly an aeroplane, alright?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i415QwSj0Og&t=43s

Excellent. That's a great airplane, a Beech 18, I think. If you're gonna crash, that's a great airplane to crash in because of its monocoque construction its stresses are in the skin.

Go to 4:33. Bikes and planes work better when you add lightness.

Here's another great "tricked" Cub which won the shortest landing roll, Valdez, AK at just a little

over 10'. Empty weight on that delicate little thing is 800 lbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo7-BuNiP6Y
Very impressive. I wonder what its normal airspeed is (or would be with
full covering of the fuselage). And what sort of weather it may be
limited to. Any idea?

The Piper J-3 was built in a number of versions with engines ranging
from 40 to 65 hp. Catalog listed empty weight was 765 lbs, with the 65
hp engine. Cruising speed for the 65 hp version was stated to be 75
mph.

My father belonged to a flying club that owned a J-3, I believe with
the 40 hp engine, and a steam train could out run it is there was any
wind at all.

They were a bit rudimentary. No brakes and the fuel gauge was a float
attached to a wire that stuck up through the fuel tank cap :-)
--

And people wonder why I would never get in a private aircraft.

Actually the no brakes thing worked out pretty well on the grass strip
that the flying club used. To taxi took, maybe, half throttle to get
moving and if you went back to idle the thing stopped moving :-)

The wire on a float fuel gauge wasn't fool proof so most people would
just push down on the wire before cranking the engine and if it didn't
pop back up to it's original position they'd take the cap off and peer
in to see how much fuel they had. Here is a photo looking forward
showing the fuel gauge.
http://tinyurl.com/y9k8u8yj

--
Cheers,

John B.

Preserving Sheldon's legacy Andre Jute[_2_] Techniques 31 September 3rd 11 01:05 AM
Polished cranks? Erant Unicycling 8 February 1st 06 10:59 PM
preserving SIDI's Callistus Valerius Techniques 12 May 9th 05 07:52 PM
Info? Polished aluminum mountain bike frames Jeff Lane Mountain Biking 7 October 31st 04 03:04 PM
Why no polished aluminum frames? Gooserider General 7 June 17th 04 05:08 PM