635 on old bikes?

Old May 18th 17, 12:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default 635 on old bikes?

The other day I was with a guy on Biltema which
is a huge store for cars mainly but also bikes,
gardening and many other activities.
The quality is not so high. Anyway the guy had
two tires from his bike. The tires were so worn
there was no reading the dimension. I thought
it to be 622. We asked the man working in the
bike department and he didn't want to make an
educated guess, instead he asked if the bike is
"old". The guy responded affirmingly and then
the man said then it is probably 635. Now, most
of the bikes that pass thru here are 20-30 (?)
years old and I'd say maybe one quarter is 635,
the rest is 622. Is it true that older bikes
were more often 635 and if so, where are we
then in bike history?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old May 18th 17, 01:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/17/2017 6:32 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
The other day I was with a guy on Biltema which
is a huge store for cars mainly but also bikes,
gardening and many other activities.
The quality is not so high. Anyway the guy had
two tires from his bike. The tires were so worn
there was no reading the dimension. I thought
it to be 622. We asked the man working in the
bike department and he didn't want to make an
educated guess, instead he asked if the bike is
"old". The guy responded affirmingly and then
the man said then it is probably 635. Now, most
of the bikes that pass thru here are 20-30 (?)
years old and I'd say maybe one quarter is 635,
the rest is 622. Is it true that older bikes
were more often 635 and if so, where are we
then in bike history?

There's no Queen of Tires to rule on sizing so there are a
LOT of tire formats. 635mm are still readily available,
albeit in smaller selection than 622.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 18th 17, 06:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 18 May 2017 01:32:31 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

The other day I was with a guy on Biltema which
is a huge store for cars mainly but also bikes,
gardening and many other activities.
The quality is not so high. Anyway the guy had
two tires from his bike. The tires were so worn
there was no reading the dimension. I thought
it to be 622. We asked the man working in the
bike department and he didn't want to make an
educated guess, instead he asked if the bike is
"old". The guy responded affirmingly and then
the man said then it is probably 635. Now, most
of the bikes that pass thru here are 20-30 (?)
years old and I'd say maybe one quarter is 635,
the rest is 622. Is it true that older bikes
were more often 635 and if so, where are we
then in bike history?

Have a look at
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-tires.html
and maybe