Shimano Headset

Old May 14th 17, 03:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Shimano Headset

On 2017-05-13 13:05,
wrote:

[...]

... Yesterday I did 55 miles and 2500 feet of climbing with some
of it pretty steep ~12%. There were fore of us there and the dirt
encrusted on the bikes showed a certain lack of careful
maintenance. No one had any problems. I have been carrying all
these tools around for the last 6 years and the only one's I've
used are the tire repair tools.

It's more for mountain bikers. I have my tools in a waist pack.
That also contains cell phone, keys, wallet, pencil and, yes, no
kidding, a small leash. That leash has helped bring some dogs home
over the years. The road bike also has a towing rope in the bottom
of the left pannier.

MTB and road bike have identical panniers (Nashbar Daytrekker) and
I can simply pull the waist pack out of one bike and slide it into
the other in seconds if I decide to switch. This also avoids the
worst case scenario where you find a nice brewpub and then discover
that you left the wallet in the other bike.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

I still don't follow any of this. I rode Mt. Bikes since they were
first developed. I've ridden road bikes roughly forever. The chains
that I've seen break didn't break - they popped one side of a link
loose. And this was because they weren't assembled properly. I see no
requirements for a chain breaker. And I haven't been disappointed by
not having one.

The situations I came across were more harsh. A major chain suck with
subsequent bending, a completely snapped chain or a chain that became
stuck on some object during a crash. Sometimes that also rips the rear
derailer and then the ride is over unless you temporarily turn the MTB
into a single-speed bike which won't work on full-suspension. A couple
of years ago a guy managed to do that on a road bike. The carbon frame
survived by the rear derailer didn't.

Usually it's chains on other bikes and I can't say that it was wrong
assembly because they did not break at the link. I always carry a KMC
"missing link" for that purpose and to my surprise it even fit on the
9-speed chain of a rider despite being for my 10-speed chain.

The only time I ever used a chain breaker on the road was when a buddy
had a chain suck on a paved section of the ride. I was getting out the
usual, Swiss army knife, looking for a rock and such, when a garage door
opened and someone came out with a chain breaker. These folks had no
cars in the garage but half a dozen dirt bikes and numerous MTB.

If I had more space in my on-board tool kit I'd consider more important
additions such as Tecnu soap so I can wash off in a creek in case of a
brush with poison oak. Curing one of those right now and it's no fun.

Old May 14th 17, 04:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

Joerg writes:

Hint: A repetitive scraping noise is usually a sign
of imminent wear-out of some part

Noise from a bike can be almost anything! Spokes loose
by the nipples, wheel reflex loose, chain to the chain
guard after a stay has been aligned...

People often think it is the crank. I don't know why.
Maybe the frame acts like a drum so the sound
seemingly stems from the center.

Sometimes people use 5-56/WD-40 or CRC Bike Oil on
a part where there are balls and grease. This improves
the "roll" a lot in an instant! But something else
happens as well. Maybe too much of the old grease is
removed, or fragments are carried into the machinery.
Because some worrying noise appears and it can be
there for many days.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old May 14th 17, 04:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

Joerg writes:

Hint: A repetitive scraping noise is usually a sign
of imminent wear-out of some part

Noise from a bike can be almost anything! Spokes loose
by the nipples, wheel reflex loose, chain to the chain
guard after a stay has been aligned, ...

People often think it is the crank. I don't know why.
Maybe the frame acts like a drum so the sound
seemingly stems from the center.

Sometimes people use 5-56/WD-40 or CRC Bike Oil on
a part where there are balls and grease. This improves
the "roll" a lot in an instant! But something else
happens as well. Maybe too much of the old grease is
removed, or fragments are carried into the machinery.
Because some worrying noise appears and it can be
there for many days.

- so far: 26 Blogomatic articles -
Old May 14th 17, 05:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 7:39:56 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Saturday, May 13, 2017 at 3:43:06 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, May 13, 2017 at 1:08:38 PM UTC-7, wrote:
snip story telling

I also remember the exact moment I decided I did not want to be a doctor -- doing CPR on a baby and recalling the relief I felt when handing the baby off to an ER doctor. I had a soft spot for babies. I was much more accustomed to adults dying off.

Jay - You couldn't be suggesting that you let a friend die rather than try anything because it is usually ineffective in the long run?

You're conflating allowing a person to die with refusing to break ribs on a dead person. I did CPR on a lot of dead people who remained so. I had little or no expectation of a positive outcome in many cases -- but there was at least some chance in my opinion. My partner or I could always pronounce death, which we did on occasion -- usually when someone was way gone or in pieces.

Even if we started CPR and transported, some doctors were more "realistic" than others and were quicker to pronounce death. Some doctors would shock a corps because they wanted the practice -- one bad hospital comes to mind. And of course, some people did come back, but I wasn't privy to their long-term outcomes. NOBODY just sat up in the back of the ambulance and shook it off, like on T.V. Most of the people who came back coded first in the ER or had witnessed heart attacks near a fire station or near someone who started CPR and who were also close to a (good) hospital.

But to your point: if I found someone collapsed on a trail twenty miles from the nearest town -- pupils fixed and dilated, no pulse, no respiration, cool to the touch and cement-colored with dried drool at the corner of his mouth, no, I would not start compressions. Back in the day, I would get on the radio and call 10-55 10-19. Go on to the next call.

-- Jay Beattie.

This time around you're suggesting that we should try to revive dead people. We both know that cardiac arrest is not treatable after a minute or so, and that if you don't see a person having that arrest treating him is close to impossible. But if you so see a person have that arrest you must treat him. I didn't know how to do CPR and watched my good friend die. It wasn't pretty.

Rationally, there is no reason for starting CPR on someone who has been in asystole for ten minutes because brain death is certain (except in super cold conditions), but in the old days with no telemetry, you couldn't be sure if and when the heart stopped completely, and since people were standing around expecting you to do something, we did. Often the local FD started CPR, and it wasn't likely that we would stop it. The FD was now invested, and we worked with them every day. Independent of the time to start CPR is the time to quit, which, IIRC, was usually about 30-45 minutes in the hospital..

You should learn CPR. It's not hard, and recent studies show that you can get a good outcome even without ventilation -- assuming you're put off by the mouth-to-mouth thing. I get re-certified every so often at work and am amazed at how the technique has changed over the years, particular for one-person CPR. I'm also certified on an AED, although I've never used one and would have to read the instructions if someone dropped dead at work. Anyway, like I said, CPR can save lives in the case of witnessed heart attacks. That's when it matters -- the guy who clutches his chest and drops dead in front of you.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old May 14th 17, 05:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

During my last refresher course I was also surprised how much had
changed and the nice thing is that they offered a tacked-on AED
instruction class. So I took that as well.

... Anyway, like I said,
CPR can save lives in the case of witnessed heart attacks. That's
when it matters -- the guy who clutches his chest and drops dead in
front of you.

Also, memorize the locations where the AEDs are in buildings you
frequently visit or where you work. When things happen every second counts.

What can be helpful would be locator apps like this although not so much
for me because I do not have a smart phone:

http://www.heartsafe.org.uk/AED-Locations
http://www.firstaidcorps.org/locate-aeds-near-you/

Old May 14th 17, 05:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 10:24:49 AM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
Snipped

Hint: A repetitive scraping noise is usually a sign of imminent wear-out
of some part. A derailer hanger coming apart on the 20mi home isn't so
cool because that means hoofing the remaining miles.

As unbelievable as it may sound I tend to invest that extra minute or
two to prevent such things.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

If you carried a chain-breaker you could shorten your chain when your derailler hanger comes apart and then ride that 20mi home on the single gear. Then you wouldn't have to worry about being stalked by mountain lions.

Cheers
Old May 14th 17, 06:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-05-14 09:37, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 10:24:49 AM UTC-4, Joerg wrote: Snipped

Hint: A repetitive scraping noise is usually a sign of imminent
wear-out of some part. A derailer hanger coming apart on the 20mi
home isn't so cool because that means hoofing the remaining miles.

As unbelievable as it may sound I tend to invest that extra minute
or two to prevent such things.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

If you carried a chain-breaker you could shorten your chain when your
derailler hanger comes apart and then ride that 20mi home on the
single gear. Then you wouldn't have to worry about being stalked by
mountain lions.

I can do that without a chain breaker. However, Where I ride with my MTB
single gear won't help much. You'd be stuck all the time. I use almost
the whole gear range on every ride, jumping 4-6 gears all the time
because it has to happen fast.

Old May 14th 17, 06:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 1:07:57 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
On 2017-05-14 09:37, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

You could simply put the chain onto a low gear and ride a bit slower. It'd still beat walking. But then again in your corner of the world nothing easy nor sensible (such as carrying a small multi-tool with a chain breaker on it) works. You'd rather scrounge rocks and rusty nails.

Cheers
Old May 14th 17, 07:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2017-05-13 13:05,
wrote:
On Friday, May 12, 2017 at 9:57:35 PM UTC-7, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Fri, 12 May 2017 08:23:02 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 10:06:04 AM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
Snipped
But then, to one who habitually uses a nail and a rock as a
chain tool the use of proper tools is probably a mystery.

Try to differentiate between an outdoors emergency situation
and the workshop in the garage. It's not that difficult.

- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Which is hy mose of us carry a small tool repair kit that
includes a chain-breaker. That way a broken chain isn't an
ememrgency and a repair only takes a few seconds. After all
seconds count when you're beig stalked by mountain lions or other
hungry critters doesn't it? For someone who either breaks chains
a lot or often comes across people with a broken chain (bother
very rare where I ride even on the technical trails) it ONLY
makes sense to have a chain breaker and spare link(s)and
quick-link WITH YOU.

To be honest using a rock and rusty nail to repair a chain in the
field sounds like something an armchair bicyclist would think up.
Such a repaired chain would most likely fail again after only a
short distance. Believe it or not there's good reasons why chain
breakers are used to fix a chain.

Cheers

Out of curiosity I weighed and measured the chain tool that I carry
in my bike tool kit. It is 2-1/2 inches in length and 2-1/8 inches
in height. 1/2 inch thick, at its thickest, and weighs 2.6 ounces.
It works with chains up to and including 10 speed chains (I don't
own an 11 speed). Frankly, as a broken chain immobilizes the
bicycle I can see no logic in not carrying it.

Since I have never once had a broken chain nor seen one I cannot see
any requirement to carry such a tool.

You never had a chain suck resulting in a pretzeled or corkscrewed
chain? Then you probably haven't ridden much singletrack. Sometimes the
worst part of the "pretzeling" has to be surgically removed in the
field, upon which the chain is rather short but at least one can get
home without having to hoof it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EftEeU_qGOg

Even though I ride offroad 50% of the time it happens so rarely that I
don't see an urgency in adding a chain breaker to my on-board kit.
Besides, you need to find some rocks anyhow because the rest of the
chain usually needs straightening so it passes the derailer hanger
without an awful grinding noise every time.

A chain breaker is one of the tools easily improvised. The "McGyver
Deluxe Edition" consists of a pin (used to punch out the chain pin), a
nut or sawed off little chunk of pipe slightly larger and long enough,
and some stiff wire. The end of the wire gets fashioned into a loop that
holds the pin well. That is best done before placing it in the tool kit.
Just roll it 2-3 times around a drill bit shaft slightly smaller than
the pin. The wire can also be used to tie stuff that came off. Brake
lines and such.

Now a storm of outrage will likely break loose on this NG because this
McGyver tool ... gasp ... doesn't even have a flashing LED.

In the olden days road bike chains didn't come with missing links. The
only way to take them off was to punch out a pin. I have changed lots of
chains just using pin, nut and hammer. I don't know how I made it into
my 50's without a chain breaker but somehow I did.

[...]

I've had a couple chains break where one of thelink plates actually
cracked in two. Ine cracked between the pins, and one split the eye
where the pin goes through. Both were on bikes that had not been well
maintained and the chains had been freed up from being rusted stiff.
No idea what had been used to free up the chain, but the way they
broke suggested hydrogen embrittlement.
Old May 14th 17, 08:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sun, 14 May 2017 07:42:40 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Saturday, May 13, 2017 at 8:43:29 PM UTC-7, John B. Slocomb wrote:

-
[...]

requirement to carry such a tool. Yesterday I did 55 miles and 2500
feet of climbing with some of it pretty steep ~12%. There were fore of
us there and the dirt encrusted on the bikes showed a certain lack of
careful maintenance. No one had any problems. I have been carrying all
these tools around for the last 6 years and the only one's I've used
are the tire repair tools.

Equally, I have had two crashes severe enough to break bones and in
neither did my head strike the ground. Thus, based on your logic,
there is no reason what so ever to wear a helmet.

There is almost no reason to wear a helmet under any conditions. If a helmet was just barely able to protect me in a fall literally from 18" what makes you think that a helmet can do anything other than protect you from getting scratches on your head in a sideways fall at a dead stop?

My oldest daughter hit her head on a concrete retaining wall hard
enough to crack the hardshell bike helmet and came away without a
scratch (on her head - she did get a bit of "road rash" elsewhere)-
and most certainly would have suffered a concussion without it. The
foam lining and hard plastic shell absorbed a LOT of impact.