Cycle Commute from Kilburn to Canary Wharf

Old January 15th 04, 01:34 PM
Frank X

Default Cycle Commute from Kilburn to Canary Wharf

"james" wrote in message
"Frank X" wrote in message

"Steve Nelson" wrote in message
m...
Greetings,

I am planning to cycle to and from work - from North Kilburn to Canary
Wharf.
1) Its a good idea to cross south from the Isle of Dogs and then
re-cross the river around Tower-Bridge.

No Cable Street is fine

Cable street is quite slow and involves an on-pavement contraflow
cycle eastbound plus a very slow contra flow cycle phase on a set of
lights (for which you have to push a button). The cyle lane (which
you have to use in some of the one way sections) gives way to all side
roads. From the OP's description of himself I would suggest
considering the A13 or the A1203. IME the A1203 has higher peak
speeds but more space.

Yep that contra flow lane is damn stupid ;o) But the road is quiet so if
you're pootling along it is fine. Can't remember the A1203 in rush hour,
but it's OK at other times. Is it not one long jam in the rush hour?

I have never had the bottle to ignore the no-cycling signs on the
limehouse link although a cyclist who can reliably hold 20-25mph for
most of a kilometre including a shallow up gradient shouldn't have
much trouble IMO. You could just follow the A13 then West India Dock
Road or cut through the park by Butcher Row (bridge over tunnel
approach) which delivers you onto Horseferry Road then narrow street.
This is probably not much slower than the main roads.

Very pleasant down Hoeseferry etc too.

I wouldn't go through the tunnel (I don't know if they enforce the limits
now but it used to be that 50 mph was common). Going down to Island Gardens
I prefered Marsh Wall/ East Ferry Rd to West Ferry Rd.

best wishes
james

Old January 17th 04, 07:13 PM
Lin

"Frank X" wrote in message ...
"james" wrote in message
"Frank X" wrote in message

[...]

I used to live just off Cable Street, and my experience" is "not
fine". Cyclists on the path have no priority over Cable St traffic or
the side roads. The section by Wapping Tube is particularly vile. Out
of rush hour there are fewer cars on Cable Street but they are less
inclined to give way to cyclists, go figure. The A1203 in rush hour is
either a jam, or very packed but fast.

Don't see the point in crossing/re-crossing the river myself, not for
routine commutes. As an alternative to stave off boredom or explore,
the Greenwich Tunnel route offers more possibilities. I think
Rotherhithe Tunnel is legal for cyclists (somebody correct me if
wrong) but it is very polluted.

I have never had the bottle to ignore the no-cycling signs on the
limehouse link although a cyclist who can reliably hold 20-25mph for
most of a kilometre including a shallow up gradient shouldn't have
much trouble IMO. You could just follow the A13 then West India Dock
Road or cut through the park by Butcher Row (bridge over tunnel
approach) which delivers you onto Horseferry Road then narrow street.
This is probably not much slower than the main roads.

Very pleasant down Hoeseferry etc too.

Commercial Road is ok; West India Dock Road is ok-ish. There's a
useful alternative cut through via Newell St, Colt St and the river
bank which will drop you out by Westferry Circus. The downside is
having to use some pavement work and a toucan to cross into Newell St
(otherwise no right turn). The upside is the view from the river bank.

I wouldn't go through the tunnel (I don't know if they enforce the limits
now but it used to be that 50 mph was common). Going down to Island Gardens
I prefered Marsh Wall/ East Ferry Rd to West Ferry Rd.

There are perma-cameras in the tunnel now, and they could probably
pick up a cyclist if the operators were so inclined. Not sure it's
worth it unless your career plans include organ donor. I've driven
through it and it's always seemed a "take no prisoners" road to me.
Old January 19th 04, 11:22 AM
Dave Larrington

Lin wrote:

I think Rotherhithe Tunnel is legal for cyclists
(somebody correct me if wrong) but it is very
polluted.

It is indeed legal for cyclists, and is probably the only place I would ever
ride on the pavement rather than the road. Though given the choice I
wouldn't ride there at all...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Old January 22nd 04, 10:03 PM
SabineUK

(Steve Nelson)

Seems like quite a long way round, plus you would have to get off and walk
through the tunnel, which would be a big pile of pants if you favour road
shoes with sticky-out cleats...

Yeah, that would be a bad idea - hadn't thought of that. Also
something to consider if we move to Woolwich, as Greenwich foot tunnel
would be needed, I guess.

Nope. Depends where in Woolwich of course, but going from
Plumstead to Canary 18 months ago I used to use the Woolwich
ferry (for my early-morning sea-faring) or the Woolwich foot tunnel
if the ferrymen were on strike.

Personally I'd go something like Edgware Road,
Marleybone/Euston/Pentonville

Hmm - I've cycled along Maryleybone as far as the top of TCR but then
turned right towards Camden. Traffic was busy, but fine if I was
going as fast as or faster than the cars.

Gets busier round King's Cross especially with the roadworks for
the Eurostar. Still OK.

City Road to the Old St roundabout.

Never done this - worth investigation.

Easier than the Euston Road IME.

Shoreditch, Commercial St down to Whitechapel and then follow the A13 down
to Docklands.

Seems sane.

Yup. The Highway is a bit unpleasant but reasonable, and there's
quite a nice bit of proper, oldish docklands (albeit with warehouse
conversions not warehouses) to avoid the Limehouse Link.

I've used most of these on various commutes in the past and none was

too stressful.

Agreed.

Might give it a trial run on a Sunday to get to know the route.

Was it fun?

John

FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
Pick 'n Pay Cape Argus Cycle Tour - Cape Town, South Africa, 2004 David Cowie Racing 0 August 28th 03 10:29 PM
Pick 'n Pay Cape Argus Cycle Tour - Cape Town, South Africa, 2004 David Cowie UK 0 August 28th 03 10:29 PM
Lane Cove to North Sydney - Suggestions for cycle commute? Dave_H Australia 12 August 21st 03 01:16 PM
Who reckons they have the longest cycle commute? Toby Barrett UK 17 August 8th 03 08:16 PM