Mountain bikers are a scourge wherever they are found

Old November 7th 14, 08:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

Default Mountain bikers are a scourge wherever they are found

"Phil W Lee" wrote in message ...
[...]

RAF Air/Sea Rescue reports that hikers account for 50% of their call

outs. This means they outnumber all other calls for emergency aid put
together.After hiking accidents there are accidents at sea, swimming accidents,
surfing accidents, motor accidents and equestrian accidents.
Mountian bike accidents were too small a number to be statistically
significant.

You can’t go by what any single agency is reporting. After all, that could be highly skewed for any number of reasons. But it in no way subtracts from my central point the mountain biking on hiking trails is sui generis dangerous. You are doing something that trails were not designed for.
[...]

Yes, even public footpaths in England and Wales (formerly closed to

cyclists) are increasingly having cycle access granted (either
permissive, or by being upgraded to bridleways, over which cyclists
have a right-of-way). Some are even being surfaced to a high standard
so that they can be used easily by road cyclists (which benefits
pedestrians as well, as they can then be used in ordinary footwear
without risk of slipping or having to change at the destination).

Once a footpath is paved it is no longer a hiking trail. It has essentially become a bike trail. A paved trail is not of much interest for a hiker although it may serve for those who simply want a bit of exercise. In any event, there is never any excuse for permitting bikes on true hiking trails.

Mountain bikers are barbarians and have no right to be on any trail used by hikers – unless they want to get off their god damn ****ing bikes and walk like everyone else. When they crash and injure themselves, I rejoice! If and when they manage to kill themselves, I say good riddance to bad rubbish! Death to mountain biking!

“Tread softly! All the earth is holy ground.”
~ Christina Rossetti (Psalm 24),
from "A Later Life: A Double Sonnet of Sonnets"

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great

Old November 10th 14, 03:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Blackblade[_2_]

I suspect hikers outnumber bikers 100,000 to 1, maybe

1,000,000 to 1.

Well, your suspicions are, yet again, wrong. There are are

50 million mountainbikers in the US alone so that would require there to be
between 5 and 50 TRILLION hikers ... rather more than the population of the
earth. Idiot.

Just can't resist numbers can you? How about hikers to bikers
1,000,000,000 to 1. Have fun!

Apparently it is my destiny to be Bugs Bunny to your Elmer
Fudd.

How about you admit that you haven't the faintest clue about numbers (here's some help for you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvSmq9-GNwA) since you made a provably false statement that therefore invalidated your argument.

Media reports say it all.

Yes, they say that hiking is more dangerous than biking ... more

reports of fatalities and serious injuries. Idiot.

Your dumb numbers only say whatever you are dumb enough to
believe. You are worse than an idiot. You are a fool!

No, you're the fool here. Despite the evidence in front of your face, MORE reports of hiker fatalities that biker, you still persist in believing that a simple count of number of events tells you anything. Your fundamental method is FLAWED. Simply relaying number of reports tells you NOTHING about the likelihood of an event.

I'm conservative politically ... so, not at all into politically

correct thinking. But it's still totally irrelevant.

But you are into politically correct thinking. After all, this
business about sharing because public is a liberal notion. Also, you seem to be
lacking any elitist sentiments. You are not a conservative socially. We social
conservatives believe in tradition, and trails have traditionally been just for
hikers (and equestrians), not for every new thing that comes down the
pike.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm an elitist all right. I think anyone who can't argue logically, understand statistics and at least try to remain impartial is definitely NOT a member of the elite. As such, you're a pretender and your views are entirely immaterial and worthless.

Old November 14th 14, 06:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

"Blackblade" wrote in message ...
[...]

Edward Dolan wrote:

Your dumb numbers only say whatever you are dumb enough to
believe. You are worse than an idiot. You are a fool!

No, you're the fool here. Despite the evidence in front of your face, MORE reports of hiker fatalities that biker, you still persist in believing that a simple count of number of events tells you anything. Your fundamental method is FLAWED. Simply relaying number of reports tells you NOTHING about the likelihood of an event.

You will never convince me that there are more reports of hiker fatalities than biker fatalities everything else being equal.. Relaying the number of reports tell you everything you will ever want to know about the likelihood of an event. Biker accidents are all the same. They are doing headers from striking the trail at an odd or uneven moment. That sort of accident is never going to change.

I'm conservative politically ... so, not at all into politically

correct thinking. But it's still totally irrelevant.

But you are into politically correct thinking. After all, this
business about sharing because public is a liberal notion. Also, you seem to be
lacking any elitist sentiments. You are not a conservative socially. We social
conservatives believe in tradition, and trails have traditionally been just for
hikers (and equestrians), not for every new thing that comes down the
pike.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm an elitist all right. I think anyone who can't argue logically, understand statistics and at least try to remain impartial is definitely NOT a member of the elite. As such, you're a pretender and your views are entirely immaterial and worthless.

Yes, indeed, you have just described yourself perfectly. No need for me to come up with my own diagnosis.

Old November 14th 14, 03:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Blackblade[_2_]

Your dumb numbers only say whatever you are dumb enough to
believe. You are worse than an idiot. You are a fool!

No, you're the fool here.* Despite the evidence in front of

your face, MORE reports of hiker fatalities that biker, you still persist in
believing that a simple count of number of events tells you anything.* Your
fundamental method is FLAWED.* Simply relaying number of reports tells you
NOTHING about the likelihood of an event.

You will never convince me that there are more reports of
hiker fatalities than biker fatalities everything else being equal.. Relaying
the number of reports tell you everything you will ever want to know about the
likelihood of an event. Biker accidents are all the same. They are doing headers
from striking the trail at an odd or uneven moment. That sort of accident is
never going to change.

I'm not trying to convince you ... I'm stating a fact based on a Google search which you, and everyone else, can verify. Typing "hiker dies" into Google results in approximately three times the number of results than typing "mountainbiker dies" (2.9 million results for the former, 494,000 for the latter - on Google.com).

You can argue that the moon is made of cheese and fail to be convinced of facts to the contrary but, in that too, you would quite simply be wrong.

[...]

Ah, the discourse of the playground. Well done Ed ... showing your true colours and the level of your argumentation.

Old November 26th 14, 02:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]

Statistical data is dumb as everyone knows (except you apparently). Polls are equally dumb. Try to connect to a simple media report if that is even remotely possible.
[...]

Yes, indeed, you have just described yourself perfectly. No

need for me to come up with my own diagnosis.

Ah, the discourse of the playground. Well done Ed ... showing your true colours and the level of your argumentation.

You will never win any name calling contest with me. I have almost 80 years of stored up bile to unleash on you.

Old November 27th 14, 12:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Blackblade[_2_]

[...]

Of course it's possible ... but it's even more possible to connect to simple media reports of hiker fatalities since there are three times as many. I don't think that was the point you were trying to make :-).

Yes, indeed, you have just described yourself perfectly. No

need for me to come up with my own diagnosis.

Ah, the discourse of the playground.* Well done Ed ...

showing your true colours and the level of your argumentation.

You will never win any name calling contest with me. I have
almost 80 years of stored up bile to unleash on you.

I won't enter into a name calling contest. It's stupid and pointless ... as are the people who think it's the appropriate way to conduct a debate. One might even call them barbarians !
Old December 4th 15, 11:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

Edward Dolan wrote:

Statistical data is dumb as everyone knows (except you
apparently). Polls are equally dumb. Try to connect to a simple media report if
that is even remotely possible.

Of course it's possible ... but it's even more possible to connect to simple media reports of hiker fatalities since there are three times as many. I don't think that was the point you were trying to make :-).

Statistical data has to be reported in some kind of context. Are there not perhaps many times more hikers than there are mountain bikers? Are not hikers of all ages and conditions of health as compared to mountain bikers who are in the prime of their lives? Your data reports are meaningless whereas my reports of actual accidents and fatalities are on point – that mountain biking is extremely dangerous.
[...]

You will never win any name calling contest with me. I have
almost 80 years of stored up bile to unleash on you.

I won't enter into a name calling contest. It's stupid and pointless .... as are the people who think it's the appropriate way to conduct a debate. One might even call them barbarians !

Everything with me is tit for tat. But I will admit that assholes who ride their bikes on hiking trails are a special breed of cretinous blackguards and deserve everything I can give them – and then some. Of course you and yours are such blockheads that nothing ever penetrates.

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great
Minnesota – Land of 10,000 Taxes