Seeking Input on Effort to Improve Bicycling Opportunities InDowneast Maine

Old August 9th 18, 04:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc

Default Seeking Input on Effort to Improve Bicycling Opportunities InDowneast Maine

On Wednesday, February 22, 2017 at 5:44:38 PM UTC-8, wrote:
I'm a cycling member of a committee in Downeast Maine seeking to develop maps and tools that can further bicycling opportunities in Washington County, Maine.

The overarching goal is to develop scenic routes linking regions around the Schoodic Peninsula, Jonesport, Milbridge, Machias, Eastport, Lubec, and Calais. The routes will be on the road and much of it close by to the Sunrise Trail, a multiuse gravel surface rail trail 100 miles in length. Cyclists in Washington County experience scenic beauty, rich natural habitats and unique qualities that make the area compelling for many.

Randonneurs have weighed in and offered important input. Now we are broadening our reach and seek input from leisure riders, touring cyclists, and other user groups who might be interested in bicycling in the region.

The map committee seeks to address your needs as we wish to attract riders who match up well with what the area has to offer. Any ideas, guidance, and suggestions are welcomed, greatly appreciated and will be considered.

What do you, as a potential visitor seek, and what qualities do you think make for an outstanding cycling experience? Are you already familiar with "downeast Maine" and can you comment on your cycling experiences there? Any thoughts about maps- do you prefer paper or digital formats both of which could be accessed through the internet?

Beyond helping this project, what gets discussed here may help other efforts forward cycling activities in other locales. We understand that a neighboring county is undertaking a similar project to promote opportunities for bicycling, and we'd be happy to share what we learn from you with them.

Thanks.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY and Roque Bluffs, ME

The problems come from Google Maps. If you have roads getting busy you will have Google Maps routing cars and trucks off of highways and onto byways where bicycle normally travel. And of course drivers still want to drive at highway speeds and all of the smaller side roads start becoming dangerous during commute times.

One would think that dangerous driving would be a target for police what with the numbers of highway casualties. But that certainly isn't the case anywhere I've been except Sun City in Phoenix. Locally we have many side roads to freeways on which the traffic will pull onto and drive at preposterously dangerous speeds. Because people aren't killed every day the lawmakers do nothing. But they keep increasing taxes to "fix the roads" and then using the money for other things. If you were to heavily enforce safe and sane speed limits and dangerous driving habits such as running red lights and stop signs you could not only obtain additional funds but increase traffic safety at the same time. Why do you suppose this never occurs to law makers?
Old August 10th 18, 04:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

[...]

A road with no shoulders and high speed traffic will always be dangerous for
cyclists. The fact is that motor vehicles and bicycles do not mix well. Even
roads with not much traffic can still be dangerous. I like roads with
shoulders - and bike trails are of course ideal (unless they get too
crowded). It behooves everyone to think a bit about what roads they want to
travel on a bike. It is always best to stay off of heavily trafficked roads.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old December 1st 23, 05:17 AM
pearlvibe pearlvibe is offline
Junior Member

Arrow

Thanks for reaching out about improving biking opportunities in Downeast Maine! As an avid cyclist myself, I'm always seeking new gorgeous routes to explore on two wheels.

When planning bike trips, my top priority is finding routes with plenty of scenic spots to stop and take in the views. And coastal Maine certainly fits the bill with its dramatic seascapes and landscapes! Beyond natural beauty, having cyclist-friendly amenities nearby is always a plus. A wide shoulder for safe riding is ideal. And access to food, restrooms and camping makes multi-day trips easier to plan.

Digital maps I can download to my phone are super handy for navigation on the go. Though I still pack paper backups in case I'm out of cell service in rural areas. Some turn-by-turn guidance is great for unfamiliar routes too.

One thing I always bring camping is my portable electric male masturbator to help me unwind at the end of a long day riding. This blowjob simulators little silicone guy has 10 vibration modes, on-board heating, and charges via USB so I can power up anywhere. Compact and quiet, it's my trusty companion on every adventure!

With the gorgeous coastal scenery and quiet rural roads, Washington County seems like an ideal spot I'd love to explore on my bike someday soon. So keep up the great work designing new cycling-friendly routes and amenities for visitors like me! Let me know if you ever need someone to personally "test ride" any new bike trails you create! 😉🚴*♂️