Mountain biking is dangerous

Old June 10th 16, 12:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

Default Mountain biking is dangerous

A summary report of how dangerous mountain biking is in just one locale. I never waste any time feeling sorry for these scofflaws. but it does at times seem like the punishment exceeds the crime. I wouldn't want to end up a quadriplegic, but maybe some think it might be worth it.

“Every day our emergency room doctors see concussions, broken bones, internal bleeding, organ damage and head and spine injuries,” Carsley says in the video. “Last year over 100 bikers needed **major** emergency surgery.” Those numbers do not cover the gamut of common injuries incurred in mountain biking requiring surgery, ie. broken arms, collarbones, etc.

North Vancouver was next with 13 **serious incidents** in 2014-15, which is up from four in 2013-14.The actual numbers are very concerning. CBC News even reported, earlier, that children attending those MTB camps proliferating on the North Shore have experienced injuries which have sent them to emergency for surgery, etc, ie. broken arms, etc.

Please, let's not continue to whitewash the facts about this inherently dangerous sport on our mountain slopes. It isn't doing anyone any favours.

According to the NSMB.com, North Vancouver's mountain bike rag, more proof the MTB injury rate may be far higher:
-----------
"If you have been mountain biking for more than a couple of years you’ve visited an ER. Many of us have ridden in the meatwagon at least once. Broken bones, stitches, dislocations, concussions, contusions – a guy I know had his eyeball dislodged by a branch; pretty much anything can happen. What I’m getting it is that mountain biking is f@--g dangerous. If this is breaking news for you I’m sorry, but your time will come. There is a price to pay for the immeasurable joy this means of transport brings us.

"Whistler doesn’t publish the numbers but I’ve heard from those in emergency medicine that the injury rate in the summer vastly exceeds thewinter (10x is the stat I heard). Bike parks are one thing, but each of us knows that a humiliating and painful crash can happen on our local trail on a move we have successfully ridden hundreds of times."

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great – Minnesota

Old June 10th 16, 01:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
John B.[_6_]

On Fri, 10 Jun 2016 06:45:13 -0500, "EdwardDolan"
wrote:

A summary report of how dangerous mountain biking is in just one locale. I never waste any time feeling sorry for these scofflaws. but it does at times seem like the punishment exceeds the crime. I wouldn't want to end up a quadriplegic, but maybe some think it might be worth it.

Every day our emergency room doctors see concussions, broken bones, internal bleeding, organ damage and head and spine injuries, Carsley says in the video. Last year over 100 bikers needed **major** emergency surgery. Those numbers do not cover the gamut of common injuries incurred in mountain biking requiring surgery, ie. broken arms, collarbones, etc.

Absolutely Horrifying.

But then I googled "hikers hurt" and got nearly a half a million hits.
Lets see.... 500,000/100 = 5,000.

It looks, according to Dolies figures that something like 5,000 hikers
are hurt or killed for every MTB rider.

Of course that is ridiculous, but of course, but then, we are talking
with Dolan for who the ridiculous is commonplace.

Dolan the ridiculous ( of Minnesota)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 10th 16, 02:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

wrote:

A summary report of how dangerous mountain biking is in just one locale. I
never waste any time feeling sorry for these scofflaws. but it does at
times seem like the punishment exceeds the crime. I wouldn't want to end up
a quadriplegic, but maybe some think it might be worth it.

“Every day our emergency room doctors see concussions, broken bones,
internal bleeding, organ damage and head and spine injuries,” Carsley says
in the video. “Last year over 100 bikers needed **major** emergency
surgery.” Those numbers do not cover the gamut of common injuries incurred
in mountain biking requiring surgery, ie. broken arms, collarbones, etc.

Absolutely Horrifying.

Jesus Christ Almighty! If I were a jackass and an asshole like you, that is
exactly what I would have said too!

Old July 8th 16, 03:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

Rampant, unthinking mountain bike riders put their sport ahead of the very
nature they claim to believe in. There is no reason except pure
self-centered greed to believe mountain biking in grizzly bear habitat is
acceptable. The mountain biker’s family should be fined for raising an
idiot, the biker’s estate should be fined for feeding the wildlife and the
bear should be left alone.

" Grizzly bear kills mountain biker in Montana
By Lizzy Acker | The Oregonian/OregonLive on June 30, 2016 at 9:01 AM

A 39-year-old mountain biker was attacked and killed by a grizzly bear on a
trail outside Glacier National Park in Montana on Wednesday.

The AP reports that the mountain biker--a law-enforcement officer with the
U.S. Forest Service named Brad Treat--and another unnamed rider were riding
in the Halfmoon Lakes area of the Flathead National Forest.

Flathead County Sheriff Chuck Curry told the AP that it appears as though
the pair surprised the bear and the bear then knocked Treat from his bike.
The second rider was uninjured and left to get help. By the time authorities
found Treat's body, the bear was already gone.

Authorities continue to search for the bear."

Old July 8th 16, 03:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

I doubt that a slow-moving hiker or equestrian would have surprised
the bear - one more reason why speed doesn't belong on trails.

https://gma.yahoo.com/family-montana-man-killed-grizzly-bear-attack-speaks-112600602--abc-news-topstories.html#"Family of Montana Man Killed in Grizzly Bear Attack Speaks OutBy JULIA JACOBO 15 hours ago Good Morning AmericaUS Forest Service Officer Fatally Attacked by Grizzly Bear in MontanaThe family of a 38-year-old Montana man who was fatally attacked by agrizzly bear while mountain biking has spoken out, saying the ForestService Law Enforcement Officer "put his life on the line every day."Brad Treat, 38, was mountain biking with a friend on a trail in WestGlacier just after 2 p.m. Wednesday when the grizzly attacked,pulling him off his bike. The pair likely surprised the bear as theyrode by, said Flathead County Sheriff Chuck Curry.Treat's companion was able to exit the area and summon help and wasnot injured in the attack, Curry said.Treat's sister-in-law, Melissa Treat, told ABC News he was "amazingman, an all around stand up guy, a devoted husband, amazing brother,loving son and loyal friend.""He would go above and beyond to help those in need," Melissa said.Melissa said her brother-in-law loved the outdoors and enjoyedhiking, kayaking, running and biking."It was hard to find him indoors," she said. "He loved being outsideand enjoying nature."U.S. Department of Agriculture secretary Tom Vilsack said in astatement Thursday, "I am saddened to hear of the passing of OfficerBrad Treat...We are grateful for Officer Treat's selfless service andshare in mourning a life that was taken too soon."The incident is under investigation by the Montana Department of FishWildlife and Parks, the U.S. Forest Service and the Flathead CountySheriff's Office. The area has been closed by the Forest Service forpublic safety pending the completion of the investigation, Curry said."Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?Ed Dolan the Great – Minnesota