Which Brooks saddle?

Old February 27th 09, 05:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Which Brooks saddle?

A writer sits all day. My bum gets awfully tired. When I go on my
bike, I want my bum soothed, or at least not further bruised. I'm
thinking of getting a Brooks saddle to replace my Cheeko 90, which is
getting a bit tacky. (The alternative is to recover the Cheeko 90 in
honey leather of which I have plenty, though I don't know how it will
stand up to weather as it is off indoor Swedish furniture we trashed
so I could use the seasoned wood for my geribike experiments.)

I ride an hour a day, two hours a day for longer rides, never more.
Total mileage in the order of 2000m/3200km per year, creeping up
slowly.

Which Brooks model would be advisable for a guy who weighs 215 pounds?

Should I prefer one of the models with helical springs at the back?

Would one of the "aged" models give me a headstart on comfort.

General advice and personal anecdotes equally welcome.

I thought that I might get those Brooks edgewise leather-circle
handlebar grips that Jay Bollyn mentioned last year to match the
saddle. Opinion?

Andre Jute
Brooks saddle going onto this bike:
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/Andre%20Jute's%20Utopia%20Kranich.pdf
Old February 27th 09, 05:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chris[_12_]

On Feb 26, 8:04*pm, Andre Jute wrote:
Which Brooks model would be advisable for a guy who weighs 215 pounds?

Weight is not really an issue, any Brooks can handle your weight. The
shape is far more important, and only you can say if it is right for
you or not. Though the two which seem worth mentioning are the B-17
and the B-68. Or, if you prefer springs, look at the B-66 or B-72.

Should I prefer one of the models with helical springs at the back?

It's totally personal. If you have a suspention post, I should think
not, but you may like the springs.

Would one of the "aged" models give me a headstart on comfort.

Not that I have ever seen, it's just a distressing to the leather. If
you plan on treating the leather to help keep it safe from moisture,
which you should stongly consider doing, the end result is the same or
even much better for speed of break in.

I thought that I might get those Brooks edgewise leather-circle
handlebar grips that Jay Bollyn mentioned last year to match the
saddle. Opinion?

They are nice. Bigger round than many grips, so they can be a bit to
get used to, and require adjusting to work with twist shifters as you
cannot just trim them like rugger grips, but you can change their
length, though you may need access to a spoke cutting and threading
machine to do so.

Chris
Old February 27th 09, 06:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank Wirtz

[...]

Given the upright position suggested by the bar and saddle heights,
I'd say a wider sprung model would be most appropriate, Your current
straight post would allow for a B66 or B73, but if you think you may
switch to a post with an integrated head, then the single-rail B67 or
Champion Flyer would be good.

I've got Champion Flyers on my touring bike, my cyclocross bike and my
Nexus8 cruiser. Holds up my 250-ish pounds without complaint.

The springs are quite stiff and never bouncy in my experience, merely
taking the edge off the harshest of bumps. On a descent down a fire
road, they're greatly appreciated.

Beautiful bike, by the way.
Old February 27th 09, 04:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ru4linux2

On Feb 26, 10:04*pm, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

The Brooks Champion Flyer might be a good choice for you, Andre. It's
kind of like a B-17 with springs.

You outweigh me by 50+ pounds but the reason I got the Flyer was
because I have a Cannodale and, being a lightweight, it seemed like I
felt every ripple in the road. With the flyer I now have a smooooth
ride.

Hope this helps you.

Lewis.

*****
Old February 27th 09, 04:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

[...]

You should get the color you find most pleasing--because you'll be
thinking and obsessing about it all the time as you slip forwards and
back, adjusting tilt, and driving yourself mad with saddle futzery.

Or, you could just get a proper modern saddle with a nylon shell,
adjust it dead level, and never think about it again.

Old February 27th 09, 05:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Feb 26, 10:04*pm, Andre Jute wrote:
A writer sits all day. My bum gets awfully tired. When I go on my
bike, I want my bum soothed, or at least not further bruised. I'm
thinking of getting a Brooks saddle to replace my Cheeko 90, which is
getting a bit tacky. (The alternative is to recover the Cheeko 90 in
honey leather of which I have plenty, though I don't know how it will
stand up to weather as it is off indoor Swedish furniture we trashed
so I could use the seasoned wood for my geribike experiments.)

I ride an hour a day, two hours a day for longer rides, never more.
Total mileage in the order of 2000m/3200km per year, creeping up
slowly.

Which Brooks model would be advisable for a guy who weighs 215 pounds?

I use the B17 on my touring bike. Swift on two racing bikes. And
Professional on two road bikes. Pro is the unbroken in version of
Team Pro. I'm a few pounds lighter if that matters, it doesn't. B17
is widest, then the Pro, then the Swift is kind of narrow but not
compared to current racing saddles. All are comfortable for me.

B17 is the mainstay and is cheapest.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ Has good prices on Brooks
saddles. England site.

Should I prefer one of the models with helical springs at the back?

Extra weight if that matters. I've never been uncomfortable with
regular Brooks so don't see a reason to add a suspension. You already
have Fat Albert tires for suspension.

Would one of the "aged" models give me a headstart on comfort.

No. They just wear out faster. Get the unbroken in models and break
it in by using it. And oiling it. I find them comfortable from day
one.

Old February 27th 09, 05:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Art Harris

landotter wrote:
You should get the color you find most pleasing--because you'll be
thinking and obsessing about it all the time as you slip forwards and
back, adjusting tilt, and driving yourself mad with saddle futzery.

Yes, and there isn't much fore-aft adjustment on most Brooks saddles.

Art Harris
Old February 27th 09, 05:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Feb 27, 10:07*am, Art Harris wrote:
landotter wrote:
You should get the color you find most pleasing--because you'll be
thinking and obsessing about it all the time as you slip forwards and
back, adjusting tilt, and driving yourself mad with saddle futzery.

Yes, and there isn't much fore-aft adjustment on most Brooks saddles.

Art Harris

There is 3-4 inches of rail to slide the clamp along. Seatposts come
in many shapes with varying amounts of rear offset. If you can't get
your Brook saddle in the correct position then you are incompetent.
Old February 27th 09, 05:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

landotter wrote:
You should get the color you find most pleasing--because you'll be
thinking and obsessing about it all the time as you slip forwards and
back, adjusting tilt, and driving yourself mad with saddle futzery.

Yes, and there isn't much fore-aft adjustment on most Brooks saddles.

Art Harris

There is 3-4 inches of rail to slide the clamp along. Seatposts come
in many shapes with varying amounts of rear offset. If you can't get
your Brook saddle in the correct position then you are incompetent.

Spoken like a religionist. The most logical reason for a Brooks being
uncomfortable is the poor design. Slip down,so you angle it up, when
you angle it up, it presses your bits. But--the religionist says--you
cannot find the correct position--you are the problem, not the saddle.
Just like if you can't see Jesus standing there in his Cowboy Cut
double knit suit agreeing with your every deed, well that's your fault
too, unbeliever.

Next, we'll make a really bad analogy with Schroedinger's cat and
Power Grips...
Old February 27th 09, 08:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Price

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 08:46:59 -0800 (PST), landotter
wrote:

If you can't get
your Brook saddle in the correct position then you are incompetent.

Spoken like a religionist. The most logical reason for a Brooks being
uncomfortable is the poor design. Slip down,so you angle it up, when
you angle it up, it presses your bits.

Indeed. Been there, done that. The best thing I ever did was throw
out the Brooks saddles and replace them with a Selle Italia SLR-135 on
one bike and a Fizik Arione on the other. Never looked back.

FS: Brooks B72 Saddle John Mayfield Marketplace 0 January 7th 06 05:34 PM
Brooks B17 saddle Just zis Guy, you know? UK 4 June 25th 05 10:06 AM
Brooks B17 saddle Martin Bulmer UK 0 June 21st 05 07:14 AM
Brooks B17 saddle Simon Brooke UK 0 June 20th 05 10:58 PM
Brooks B17 saddle Paulmouk UK 1 June 20th 05 10:28 PM