Hand driven Unicycle

Old December 4th 04, 08:29 AM
fontiminal

Default Hand driven Unicycle

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can purchase a hand driven unicycle.

Your feet just sit on pegs and your arms rotate two peddles that are in
front of you.

Or does anyone have plans for such an item?

I've hurt my knee getting on a helicopter and I think my leg powered uni
days have come to an end.

Any suggestions welcome!

JJ
(Hobbling).

--
fontiminal - Level 3.9 Rider

- - - -
- - - -
fontiminal's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5049

Old December 4th 04, 08:46 AM
tomblackwood

fontiminal wrote:
*Does anyone know where I can purchase a hand driven unicycle.*

I'm sorry to hear about your injury, although I hope over time you may
get back to leg-powered transport.

I've heard of but never seen the type of uni you mention. But you can
also hand-crank a standard uni. Guy Hansen of Utah is one rider who has
it down. Here's a photo of him in action, although it would be better if
it was more of a side view.

http://gallery.unicyclist.com/album226/IMG_0906

But he has it down pretty well. Needs abs of steel, and doesn't seem to
be suited for distance riding.

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

Tailgate at your own risk.....

Old December 4th 04, 08:48 AM
jsm

You already have one! A regular unicycle can be ridden with the hands as
can be seen 'here'
(http://unicyclist.org/cont/play.cfm?pi=m320240handride)! The most
important thing to remember is to turn the seat around, as this will
make it far more comfortable. Given your leg injury though, this might
not be practicle, so your best bet would be to convert a giraffe.

edit; tomblackwood beat me to it!

--
jsm - Freestyling Traffic Evasionist

"One thing I'll never try though is the suicide mount." - Jonathan
Miersma, 9/04

"I just landed my first suicide mount!" - Jonathan Miersma 11/04
jsm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6911

Old December 4th 04, 08:57 AM
john_childs

Andrew Carter has some plans to make such a unicycle. He posted some
sketches of some idea he had, but I can't find them in the forum.

I'm sure Andrew will be replying shortly with the details.

I'm not aware of any hand crank unicycles that have been built. I'm
talking about a true hand crank unicycle where the rider sits upright
and doesn't hang upside down to hand pedal a traditional unicycle. It
is something that needs to be done. It would be an interesting novelty
unicycle.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Old December 4th 04, 09:02 AM
andrew_carter

I've been wanting to build a seated hand-driven unicycle for many months
now. I just don't have the money to spare yet. But I promise you all I
will build it eventually.

Sorry to hear about your knee.

Here is a thread about my initial questions and 'research' -
http://tinyurl.com/5j9jq
Here is a thread about my design - http://tinyurl.com/4n3np
Here is a quote from over a year ago! - "As for all you other Aussies
out there who are going to UniNats, I'm very confident that I'll have
this made by the 4th of October [2003] (UniNats) easily. I'll make sure
I bring it along with me so you can have a ride of it."

Andrew

--
andrew_carter - Unicycling because it's really fun!

carter.andrew (at) gmail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au
Unicycling Tips and Tutorials - http://www.unicycle.2ya.com

Old December 4th 04, 09:03 AM
TonyMelton

To me it sounds like you are describing riding a hand-cranked giraffe.
Dustin Kelm does this trick on a giraffe fitted with foot-pegs. (There's
a video clip of him doing it somewhere.) I'd imagine that this would not
be an easy skill as all four limbs are connected to the unicycle,
leaving none for flailing/correcting of balance.

+()\|-

--
TonyMelton - Skinny butt

Read the latest online issue of
''One Track Mind'' (http://tinyurl.com/6mm9r), Unicycle.com NZ's
eNewsletter!
TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118

Old December 4th 04, 02:01 PM
fontiminal

andrew_carter wrote:
*I've been wanting to build a seated hand-driven unicycle for many
months now. I just don't have the money to spare yet. But I promise
you all I will build it eventually.

Sorry to hear about your knee.

Here is a thread about my initial questions and 'research' -
http://tinyurl.com/5j9jq
Here is a thread about my design - http://tinyurl.com/4n3np
Here is a quote from over a year ago! - "As for all you other Aussies
out there who are going to UniNats, I'm very confident that I'll have
this made by the 4th of October [2003] (UniNats) easily. I'll make
sure I bring it along with me so you can have a ride of it."

Andrew *

Wow - I saw your sketch as well - this is exactly what I am after, was
thinking that the saddle would be over the wheel as most of your weight
would be central with the hand cranking system in front of you.

I am going to have one commissioned if I can't find one already built
that I can buy.

Agree that the balance will be a big problem, since I do use my arms,
perhaps I could ride one handed?

You speak about using a 26" wheel, I would rather have mine based on a
20" wheel.

Any quotes out there, UK based?

Thanks

JJ
(limping).

--
fontiminal - Level 3.9 Rider

- - - -
- - - -
fontiminal's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5049

Old December 4th 04, 02:53 PM
Sigurd

Our club's giraffe just has BMX pegs on it, then you hand crank it while
standing on the pegs. I personally have never seen it done, but a few
members confirmed that another club member a while back could do it.
Kinda looked like this, except it's a standard giraffe and not a
three-wheeler; (this is on johnfoss' page, i hope he doesn't mind me
snagging it )

[image: http://www.unicycling.com/garage/pix/MANFRED1.JPG]

--
Sigurd - Street/trials unicyclist....kinda
Sigurd's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6801

Old December 4th 04, 05:35 PM
johnfoss

Let's try again with that image; see below.

As in the other thread, it's a good idea to put pegs on a giraffe and
learn to ride it first, to see how you're going to want to position your
body. I've still only seen pictures of the one example of a seated,
hand-cranked giraffe, and that was in an article in On One Wheel in the
early 1980s.

| Attachment filename: manfred1.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/253187|

johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"It's good to find something that makes boys into men and men into boys,
my opinion is that unicycling fits the bill." -- Lloyd Johnson

"Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

Old December 4th 04, 06:41 PM
Sigurd

Did it not work when I posted the pic? Dang. I'm still trying to get
the hang of that.

--
Sigurd - Street/trials unicyclist....kinda
Sigurd's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6801

Unicycle ascent/descent of Mt. Evans - 14,264 feet gbarnes Unicycling 19 August 11th 04 02:48 AM
surfing on a unicycle, tips and tricks... paulie pavlic Unicycling 10 November 15th 03 10:38 PM
NZ Unicycle Weekend GizmoDuck Unicycling 6 November 3rd 03 07:37 AM
New Unicycle types! XWonka Unicycling 16 October 15th 03 08:54 PM
My first unicycle showard Unicycling 1 October 3rd 03 06:20 AM