Urgent Advice Needed: Tights underwear And Accommodation Help please

Old December 13th 05, 12:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Urgent Advice Needed: Tights underwear And Accommodation Help please

Hey I am doing a sponsored ride in Feb in Lincolnshire.

I Need to know should I get some waterproof trousers or will be winter
aultra tights be ok?

Also one more important thing, what do most cyclists where under lyrcr
shorts, I mean seriosuly, I presently wear lycra shorts with one of
those pads inside then tights on top.

Should I be wearing undies, or special cycle undies or just what I am
doing?

Lastly, I am cycling between Bervely and Norfolk does any one have or
know of a cycling guide for accommodation etc, cheapish because it is a
sponsored ride.

Thank you

P.s. If you were riding in Winter what one piece of eqquippment would
you not leave at home?

Old December 13th 05, 01:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Shetland wrote:
Hey I am doing a sponsored ride in Feb in Lincolnshire.

I Need to know should I get some waterproof trousers or will be winter
aultra tights be ok?

Also one more important thing, what do most cyclists where under lyrcr
shorts, I mean seriosuly, I presently wear lycra shorts with one of
those pads inside then tights on top.

Should I be wearing undies, or special cycle undies or just what I am
doing?

Lastly, I am cycling between Bervely and Norfolk does any one have or
know of a cycling guide for accommodation etc, cheapish because it is
a sponsored ride.

Thank you

P.s. If you were riding in Winter what one piece of eqquippment would
you not leave at home?

Vest or liner. Without a warm core temperature, you're basically a slab of
steak on a bicycle.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old December 13th 05, 03:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Shetland" wrote: P.s. If you were riding in Winter what one piece of
eqquippment would you not leave at home?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The bicycle.

Old December 13th 05, 03:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 16:42:43 -0800, Shetland wrote:

Also one more important thing, what do most cyclists where under lyrcr
shorts,

nothing

Should I be wearing undies, or special cycle undies or just what I am
doing?

which is?

P.s. If you were riding in Winter what one piece of eqquippment would
you not leave at home?

Gloves.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all
_`\(,_ | mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so
(_)/ (_) | that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am
nothing. [1 Corinth. 13:2]

Old December 13th 05, 04:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Shetland wrote:

Hey I am doing a sponsored ride in Feb in Lincolnshire.

I Need to know should I get some waterproof trousers or will be winter
aultra tights be ok?

Also one more important thing, what do most cyclists where under lyrcr
shorts, I mean seriosuly, I presently wear lycra shorts with one of
those pads inside then tights on top.

Should I be wearing undies, or special cycle undies or just what I am
doing?

Lastly, I am cycling between Bervely and Norfolk does any one have or
know of a cycling guide for accommodation etc, cheapish because it is a
sponsored ride.

Thank you

P.s. If you were riding in Winter what one piece of eqquippment would
you not leave at home?

Yipes! Just one? That's hard, but I guess I'd vote for fenders,
assuming I had warm clothes otherwise.

If you mean *clothing* equipment:

Windproof jacket. Breathable is nice [others will disagree], but not
required to make the difference between sufferable and insufferable.

Water/wind proof booties. Yes, your feet will get wet anyway, but
better a sauna on your feet than any icy swamp.

Follow this with a satisfactory head covering (to fit under helmet, if
I'm wearing it), and gloves.

Getting back to your orginal question (tights/shorts): This will vary
greatly among people. For me, heavy polypro tights are good on rainy
days down to around 50-55 F. Below that, either wind-front pants (mine
seem semi-waterproof) or rain pants.

If the shorts have an internal seat pad (called a chamoix (sp?) in the
old days, formerly some sort of animal skin, now usually synthetic),
wear 'em next to your skin, as the manufacturer intended. Most undies
will chafe, though some are specially made to reduce the problem. (70's
bike humor: "You're not a real cyclist unless/until you wear women's
underwear")

Good luck,

Mark

Old December 13th 05, 02:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Per Shetland:
P.s. If you were riding in Winter what one piece of eqquippment would
you not leave at home?

Gloves. You can fake the rest with plastic trash bags and/or easily-available
castoff clothing.
--
PeteCresswell
Old December 13th 05, 03:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Thanks for the quote, it fits with what i believe.

But you are very good to be of help like all of you

Old December 13th 05, 06:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 16:42:43 -0800, Shetland wrote:

Hey I am doing a sponsored ride in Feb in Lincolnshire.

I Need to know should I get some waterproof trousers or will be winter
aultra tights be ok?

Waterproof might be nice, but warm is more important. I don't own
waterproof tights. But my winter tights are warm enough, wet or dry.

Also one more important thing, what do most cyclists where under lyrcr
shorts, I mean seriosuly, I presently wear lycra shorts with one of
those pads inside then tights on top.

Should I be wearing undies, or special cycle undies or just what I am
doing?

You're doing it right.

P.s. If you were riding in Winter what one piece of eqquippment would
you not leave at home?

Good gloves, socks, and a skull cap.

Matt O.