A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » Regional Cycling » UK
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

I did my bit to stop these idiots despite Judith's complaints

Old June 11th 20, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]
external usenet poster

Default I did my bit to stop these idiots despite Judith's complaints

On 11/06/2020 12:23, JNugent wrote:
On 29/05/2020 01:00, wrote:

On Monday, 25 May 2020 23:50:34 UTC+1, JNugentÂ* wrote:

We get a few of them round here as well.

The other day (I can’t be bothered to find where), you said you’d
previously had emails from some surprising posters from this group.
I’m thinking Tosspot, Trevor A. Panther...maybe even SquashMe, and
Rogers Thorpe and Merriman.

Am I right or am I right? Tell me I got one, at least.

At least one of those. Maybe two. There were others not in your list,
including Judith, Medway Handyman and the cycling teacher from
Greenwich. Oh, and Doug.

"cycling teacher from Greenwich"... that's a terrible way to refer to
anyone... but I just cannot recall his name at the moment.
Ads
Old June 26th 20, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 9:47:45 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
I used to sent footage of these idiots to the police when I rode along here to work.

QUOTE:

The uninsured motorbike that hit Max Clark and cost him the lower half of his left leg should not have been ridden at all, let alone on a pedestrian/cycle path, Hull Crown Court has heard.

That is because it was not only uninsured, but its rider, 24-year-old Jerome Cawkwell, of Cambridge Grove, had also never taken a driving test.

The front brake was also defective, the court heard during Cawkwell's sentencing hearing on Thursday afternoon.

The bike collided with nine-year-old Max while he was out with his mum, dad and three siblings on Bank Holiday Monday on May 25 at Rosmead Park, near Southcoates Lane.

Max, an "avid dancer and gymnast", had been set an outdoor assignment by his dance class and so the family ventured out to the park to enjoy the sun on their first trip out since the beginning of lockdown.

Prosecuting counsel Jeremy Evans told the court that the family had been playing in the vicinity of the old iron flyover bridge where Southcoates Lane crosses over the Withernsea trail - a public footpath for pedestrians and cyclists heading out of east Hull towards the coast.

The court heard how the children had been situated on the south side of the path when Max decided to show his dad Patrick, who was stood on the north side of the path, that he could jump the bollards better than his dad.

Moments earlier, a 34-year-old woman had cycled past a group of young men which included Cawkwell, who was with his orange 125cc motorbike he had been given by a friend a week earlier.

Shortly afterwards he then shot past at a "crazy speed", the court heard, and the woman told her husband: "He's going to have an accident."

She estimated that Cawkwell was travelling at around 40mph. Cawkwell himself later claimed it had been around 30mph.

As he neared the bridge, Cawkwell slammed on the brakes, but the front one was defective after it had broken a few days earlier, the court heard.

He braked so hard that the rear brake locked and he skidded out of control, Mr Evans said.

He collided with Max and his left leg became "entangled" in the mechanism of the bike.

The court heard that both Max and his dad recalled hearing the "crunching" noise as he lost the lower part of his left leg, before he was finally freed from the bike and flung into the air onto the nearby grass verge.

After trying to restart his bike, Cawkwell managed to get it going again and rode away, the court heard. Meanwhile, a member of the public tied a tourniquet around the upper part of Max's leg to stem the flow of blood while he asked his dad "if he still had his leg", Mr Evans said.

He was rushed to hospital where doctors decided there was "no prospect" of reattaching Max's foot, the court heard, and they performed a formal amputation just below the knee.

Thankfully, the surgery was successful and Max was discharged four days later on May 29. But Mr Evans said Max was “a young man struggling to comprehend what has happened to him,” but who nonetheless has the full support of his family.

The court heard Max was now unable to get upstairs to his own bedroom and was sleeping in the playroom downstairs, accompanied by his siblings keeping an eye out for any problems during the night.

In victim personal statements, his mum and dad told the court they had dreams that Max had actually died and they had gone to his funeral.

Max's mum Kirsty added that Cawkwell "may have only hurt Max that day, but he's ruined the lives of so many others". The court heard that, having left the scene Cawkwell initially said he had dumped the bike with the ignition still running at the entrance to a nearby track.

But he later admitted that he had taken it to his girlfriend's house with the ambition of selling it on.

It was his mum who told him to hand himself in to police after he told her what had happened, the court heard, and his brother visited the scene soon after the accident to give information to police. The court was told Cawkwell also required treatment for a minor injury he had sustained during the crash. He admitted to doctors at the hospital that it had happened when he "knocked over a kid".

Cawkwell pleaded guilty to his crimes at an earlier hearing at magistrates' court on May 27.

Judge John Thackray said to Mr Evans: "It is clear from what you have said that this motorbike should not have been on any road and this defendant should not have been riding any motorbike."

Expert opinion on the stopping distance of the bike was provided to the court saying it was “entirely unreasonable” for Max or his family to expect a motorcycle to be travelling down the footpath at the time of the crash.

Mr Evans told the court it was not possible to estimate the speed the bike had been travelling at because the bike never came to a complete stop.

But the expert added that had the rider been riding the bike at an “appropriate” speed and the front brake had been functioning fully, the defendant may have been able to reach a standstill before contact or avoid the collision entirely.

Judge Thackray had been intending to sentence Cawkwell on Thursday afternoon, but technical issues with defending counsel Richard Thompson, who was appearing in court via video link, meant the conclusion of the hearing had to be adjourned to Friday, June 26 at 10am.

Judge Thackray will preside over the conclusion of the sentencing on Friday morning.

Addressing Cawkwell, the judge said: “You will receive a significant custodial sentence, but precisely what that is will be heard tomorrow after the mitigation from your counsel.

“In the mean time, you will remain in custody."

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news...-clark-4264422
Old June 26th 20, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]
external usenet poster

On 26/06/2020 10:51, Simon Mason wrote:

I used to sent footage of these idiots to the police when I rode along here to work.

QUOTE:

The uninsured motorbike that hit Max Clark and cost him the lower half of his left leg should not have been ridden at all, let alone on a pedestrian/cycle path, Hull Crown Court has heard.
That is because it was not only uninsured, but its rider, 24-year-old Jerome Cawkwell, of Cambridge Grove, had also never taken a driving test.

ENDQUOTE

In other words, he was [only] a cyclist.

Fully qualified for that, but lacking the skill, knowledge, training and
qualification to ride a motor-bike.
Old June 26th 20, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]
external usenet poster

On Friday, June 26, 2020 at 10:51:51 AM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:

Scum driver on cycle track jailed for 3 years today - result.

QUOTE:

Jerome Cawkwell said he is "sorry" for causing nine-year-old Max Clark to lose his leg after colliding with him while riding an uninsured motorbike.

Cawkwell, 24, of Cambridge Grove, has been jailed for three years after the bike he was riding hit Max at Rosmead Park, near Southcoates Lane on May 25 this year.

Max, an avid dancer and gymnast, was showing his dad that he could jump the bollards at the old flyover bridge, where Southcoates Lane crosses over the Withernsea Trail cycle track when he was hit by Cawkwell, who has never even taken a driving test.

Cawkwell had been spotted just moments before by a witness riding the bike at a "crazy speed."

Hull Crown Court heard the woman told her husband: "He's going to have an accident." She estimated that Cawkwell was travelling at around 40mph.

As he neared the bridge, Cawkwell slammed on the brakes - but the front one was defective after it had broken a few days earlier.

Cawkwell collided with Max, whose left leg became "entangled" in the mechanism of the bike. Both Max and his dad heard a "crunching" noise as he lost the lower part of his left leg, before he was finally freed.

Cawkwell restarted the bike and fled the scene.

The court heard he had left the bike at his girlfriend's house, with the ambition of selling it on, but his mum persuaded him to hand himself into police.

A heartbroken Max asked his dad at the scene if he "still had his leg," prosecutor Philip Evans told the court.

He was taken to hospital where surgeons performed a formal amputation just below the knee and Max was discharged four days later.

Mr Evans said Max was a "young man struggling to comprehend what has happened to him." Max's mum and dad told the court in statements read out that they had had dreams that their son had actually died and they had gone to his funeral.

Hull Crown Court heard Cawkwell had a previous conviction from June 2018 for driving a car without insurance or a licence, for which he was given six points for.

Mitigating, Richard Thompson told the court on Friday that Cawkwell is "genuinely remorseful" for what he had done and had said to the author of his pre-sentence report: "I did it. No-one else was on the bike. I have to face up to my responsibilities. I know he [Max] has suffered life-changing injuries and I'm sorry.

"I'm sick and it was stupid. I was trying to be someone I'm not."

Mr Thompson told the court that Cawkwell had not seen Max.

He said: "He was riding and had reduced his speed a little because he had noticed people on the right-hand side of the track. Max was on the left. The defendant was travelling from the light, into the shadow from the bridge which may have had some effect on the speed of what happened.

"His recollection is that he hadn't seen Max because he was focusing on other people. At some point he may have, which is why he was standing on the brakes, because there is evidence of harsh braking."

He told the court Cawkwell is unlikely to offend again.

Judge John Thackray told the court it was just a "matter of chance" that Cawkwell did not kill Max.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news...sh-max-4266063
Old June 26th 20, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]
external usenet poster

On 26/06/2020 17:28, Simon Mason wrote:

On Friday, June 26, 2020 at 10:51:51 AM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:

Scum driver on cycle track jailed for 3 years today - result.

*Not* a driver.

He can't be a driver since he didn't / doesn't have a driving licence,
let alone the compulsory insurance.

All he can be is a cyclist, for which he has every necessary and
required qualification and is as fully trained as he needs to be in
order to ride a bike.

QUOTE:

Jerome Cawkwell said he is "sorry" for causing nine-year-old Max Clark to lose his leg after colliding with him while riding an uninsured motorbike.

Cawkwell, 24, of Cambridge Grove, has been jailed for three years after the bike he was riding hit Max at Rosmead Park, near Southcoates Lane on May 25 this year.

Max, an avid dancer and gymnast, was showing his dad that he could jump the bollards at the old flyover bridge, where Southcoates Lane crosses over the Withernsea Trail cycle track when he was hit by Cawkwell, who has *never* *even* *taken* *a* *driving* *test*. [ ... ]

Old June 26th 20, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]
external usenet poster

On Friday, June 26, 2020 at 5:28:43 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:

Hull Crown Court heard Cawkwell had a previous conviction from June 2018 for driving a car without insurance or a licence, for which he was given six points for.

Six points on his driving licence?
The scum will be driving again in 18 months.
Old June 26th 20, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]
external usenet poster

On 26/06/2020 18:08, Simon Mason wrote:

"Cawkwell" has NOT got six points on his driving licence.

He cannot possibly *have* a driving licence because (it is reported)
that he has never taken, let alone passed, a driving test.

He is not therefore not, and cannot be, a driver.

It may be the case that if he were to try to obtain a driving licence (a
provisional, naturally), it would have six points on it when he gets it
(which presumably would automatically disqualify him under the six-point
totting-up rule for learners and novice drivers). But that does *not*
mean that he has a driving licence.

Cawkwell is nothing more than a fully-qualified cyclist (he satisfies
every legal requirements for that but falls far short of the standard
required of a driver).
Old June 26th 20, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]
external usenet poster

On Friday, June 26, 2020 at 6:08:49 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:

Just spotted this.

QUOTE:
He jailed Cawkwell for three years, up to half of which he will have to serve in custody before being released on licence.

Cawkwell was also handed a ***driving disqualification*** (EMPHASIS MINE) of five and a half years.

ENDS.

Well done to the judge - that will be a REAL deterrent to him driving again once he is out on licence - NOT.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news...ntence-4268449
Old June 26th 20, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]
external usenet poster

On 26/06/2020 19:34, Simon Mason wrote:
On Friday, June 26, 2020 at 6:08:49 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:

Just spotted this.

QUOTE:
He jailed Cawkwell for three years, up to half of which he will have to serve in custody before being released on licence.

Cawkwell was also handed a ***driving disqualification*** (EMPHASIS MINE) of five and a half years.

ENDS.

Well done to the judge - that will be a REAL deterrent to him driving again once he is out on licence - NOT.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news...ntence-4268449

Simon... do you REALLY think that anyone believes you have me killfiled? ;-)

You have now been prompted to reply - twice in very quick succession -
to my accurate observation that this "Cawkwell" character is a fully
qualified cyclist but is *not* - and cannot be described as - a "driver".

You can't be a driver without a having driving licence and without
having passed a driving test. Neither of those applies to Cawkwell, but
he has an unimpeachable right to ride a bicycle. As anti-social as his
actions makes him sound, he is still fully qualified to ride a bike. He
is eminently qualified for that, isn't he?
Old June 27th 20, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kerr-Mudd,John[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Fri, 26 Jun 2020 10:01:05 GMT, JNugent
wrote:

On 26/06/2020 10:51, Simon Mason wrote:

I used to sent footage of these idiots to the police when I rode
along here to work.

QUOTE:

The uninsured motorbike that hit Max Clark and cost him the lower
half of his left leg should not have been ridden at all, let alone on
a pedestrian/cycle path, Hull Crown Court has heard. That is because
it was not only uninsured, but its rider, 24-year-old Jerome
Cawkwell, of Cambridge Grove, had also never taken a driving test.

ENDQUOTE

In other words, he was [only] a cyclist.

Fully qualified for that, but lacking the skill, knowledge, training
and qualification to ride a motor-bike.

You do like to twist; he was in charge of a dangerous motorised vehicle;
even if illegally.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.