Any one else get mistaken for a Hobo?

Old August 19th 09, 05:35 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Any one else get mistaken for a Hobo?

KingOfTheApes wrote:
Originally Posted by mr,grumpy
"I live in a strange little city where the only people that typicly
ride bikes (olther than $3000 carbon fiber jobbies) are hobos and
DWIs, especialy a twenty year old schwinn MTB with a milk-crate trunk-
basket. I'm starting to feel persecuted. Even the cops give me a long
look over. On the flip-side I was driving through Boston and Cambridge
yesterday. WOW! Peddlebike Meca! All KINDS of bikes, every where with
all kinds of riders. I was all like...wow......."

In my city, there are several different types of riders. We have the
commuters on their commute bikes with fenders, chainguards, and good
lighting systems, we have the restaurant and supermarket workers riding
department store bikes, we have a lot of racers passing through, and we
have the parents of many adult residents that came from China and that
don't drive but are used to cycling, and they ride to the local stores,
particularly the Asian markets. They also sometimes carry their
grandchildren on the bikes in ways that would make the "let's pass more
laws to make everything safe for everyone" people cringe.

I remember going on a ride with my son and wife one day, and along the
way we stopped at Costco for frozen yogurt, and were sitting near the
bike racks eating and my son said that we looked like hobos.
Old August 19th 09, 05:51 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
ComandanteBanana

On Aug 19, 12:35*pm, SMS wrote:
KingOfTheApes wrote:
[...]

I almost jumped at my girlfriend (who also rides with me somewhat
reluctantly) when she said looking at a young man riding on the main
road, "That guy must be a hobo!"

She works with those stupid sheep for whom a cyclist is just to be
dismissed, and she repeats the same old song. I said to her, "Hobos
don't ride fast on main streets. He's rather a hero and you wouldn't
dare ride there."

I didn't keep going because I know she means no harm. Not until we
dismiss that myth we will get some respect. Talking about respectable
bikes for gentlemen and ladies...

Who says bikes can't be for the "lions" of the jungle? (it even has a
lion emblem)

(not hobos!)

http://velorbis.com/velorbis-classic...ssic/slideshow
Old August 20th 09, 01:15 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Edward Dolan

wrote in message
[...]

It was Bicycling magazine I think. And Los Angeles was the town

discussed. But it was not people who could not afford public
transportation as the subject. Public transport is cheap. Even
$2-3-4-5 each way for bus or subway. Compared to gas and parking,
cheap cheap cheap. Especially parking. The main bike riders were
homeless, unemployed, day laborers, poor people in this magazine
article. They could not afford a car, gas, insurance, parking, etc,
etc. Lots of costs with owning a car.

Anything over $1 for a pubic ride is outrageous. It is amusing to me how we
all get used to being robbed on a daily basis. I remember riding the subway
in NYC for 10 cents. That was about what it was worth.

If buses and subways are not cheap to use, they are not performing what
they were designed to do, which is to provided cheap transportation to the
public at large. Like I said, anything over $1 is robbery.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old August 20th 09, 03:37 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
ComandanteBanana

On Aug 19, 8:15*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

[...]

Even when you say stupid things doesn't mean you can't say something
smart. Yes, bus fares must be no more than $1. Tax gas and subsidize
public transportation to have fewer cars/predators out there.
Old August 20th 09, 08:30 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Aug 18, 3:54*pm, Cully J wrote:
On Aug 18, 3:03*pm, KingOfTheApes wrote:

Originally Posted by mr,grumpy
"I live in a strange little city where the only people that typicly
ride bikes (olther than $3000 carbon fiber jobbies) are hobos and
DWIs, especialy a twenty year old schwinn MTB with a milk-crate trunk-
basket. I'm starting to feel persecuted. Even the cops give me a long
look over. On the flip-side I was driving through Boston and Cambridge
yesterday. WOW! Peddlebike Meca! All KINDS of bikes, every where with
all kinds of riders. I was all like...wow......."

***

It's the same down here, particularly when you carry panniers ("bags"
to the lay people). Actually I'm so pro about it that I don't know if
I look like a VIP hobo or eccentric millionaire. I like to consider
myself an ECCENTRIC PENNYLESS, but some people fail to get the
distinction between that an hobo, or between that and a millionaire.

I have even made a t-shirt that announces that in bold letters, so
there's no confusion.

"I'm an ECCENTRIC PENNYLESS"

In a land where SUVs rule, it may seem counterintuitive or even stupid
to ride a bike... But a man gotta do, what a man gotta do.

*http://webspawner.com/users/bananarevolution

Pretty soon gas will be a lot more expensive that people will think
that those of us who have been riding bikes are, the opposite of
"hobos", totally wealthy folks...

I don't know but I wear the same jerseys and shorts for a long time.
One of my fashion conscious friends told me that people would through
quarters at me when I ride by.
Old August 21st 09, 02:14 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
ComandanteBanana

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*-----
In a land where SUVs rule, it may seem counterintuitive or even stupid
to ride a bike... But a man gotta do, what a man gotta do.

*http://webspawner.com/users/bananarevolution

Pretty soon gas will be a lot more expensive that people will think
that those of us who have been riding bikes are, the opposite of
"hobos", totally wealthy folks...

I don't know but I wear the same jerseys and shorts for a long time.
One of my *fashion conscious friends told me that people would through
quarters at me when I ride by.- Hide quoted text -

If they don't, try this other method...

(I answer second)

Originally Posted by Tourister
"The bike helmet makes all the differance for me.. If I wear my
baseball cap most people ignore me on the bike path asuming I am
homeless.. If I wear my bike helmut the whole world changes and I get
good mornings etc from most people...
As above the homeless here are well rpovided for.. They eat for free,
have shelters for overnight, all seem to be getting checks of one sort
or another.. Problem is alcohol, drugs and mental problems..."

***

So if you want to ride across America for free... do NOT wear a
helmet!

Just kidding. The vest is perhaps even more important as they see you
before the accident happens.

Actually that's the way I'm riding on the road now (no helmet, Indiana
Banana hat) for short distances since the heat will kill me if not a
car.

NOTE: Indiana Banana is a tropical version of Indiana Jones, who's
more appropriate to the heat and the Banana Republica where I live --
or should I say, SURVIVE.

In a land where SUVs rule, it may seem counterintuitive or even stupid
to ride a bike... But a man gotta do, what a man gotta do. (Hey,
ladies can be tough too!)

http://webspawner.com/users/bananarevolution