Oxford cyclists too dim to take the break that was offered

Old November 25th 10, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
bod

Default Oxford cyclists too dim to take the break that was offered

On 25/11/2010 16:15, Mr Pounder wrote:
wrote in message
On 25/11/2010 10:01, JMS wrote:
On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 08:05:50 -0000, "Mrcheerful"
wrote:

In the Oxford crackdown on unlit cycles which netted 106 unlit bikes in
very short time, the police issued 30pound FPNs, but agreed to waive
that if
a receipt for bike lights was produced in 7 days. The receipt was
stamped
by the police. The cyclists have then been returning the lights and
asking
for refunds!! The police have asked that any shop that refunds for the
lights get and pass on names and addresses of the serial lawbreakers so
that
a 60 pound fpn can be issued.
http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/archive/...g_light_fines/

Mrcheerful

Wicked

"During a three-hour operation in High Street, Oxford, on Monday,
November 1, 106 cycles were issued with £30 fines for riding without
lights."

I think this is quite unfair.

The majority will have had working lights when they set off - but the
batteries will have failed en-route.

More likely, is that when the cyclists set off, there was no power going
to their brains.

--
Bod

Wot brains?

Mr Pounder

The one in their trousers.

--
Bod
Old November 25th 10, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

Default Oxford motorists immune from crackdowns.

On 25/11/2010 08:43, Doug wrote:
On Nov 25, 8:05 am, wrote:
In the Oxford crackdown on unlit cycles which netted 106 unlit bikes in a
very short time, the police issued 30pound FPNs, but agreed to waive that if
a receipt for bike lights was produced in 7 days. The receipt was stamped
by the police. The cyclists have then been returning the lights and asking
for refunds!! The police have asked that any shop that refunds for the
lights get and pass on names and addresses of the serial lawbreakers so that
a 60 pound fpn can be issued.http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/archive/...ews/8672181.St...

Pity the police do not conduct a similar campaign against faulty cars,
probably because they are motorists themselves and therefore hate
cyclists anyway, like the motorists who infest this cycling newsgroup

-- .
UK Radical Campaigns.
http://www.zing.icom43.net
A driving licence is a licence to kill.

You mean like the one that's makes you take the car for a MOT test which
you then have to produce the certificate to the police.

--
Tony Dragon
Old November 25th 10, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 25/11/2010 08:55, Tony Raven wrote:
wrote:
In the Oxford crackdown on unlit cycles which netted 106 unlit bikes
in a
very short time, the police issued 30pound FPNs, but agreed to waive
that if
a receipt for bike lights was produced in 7 days. The receipt was
stamped
by the police. The cyclists have then been returning the lights and
asking
for refunds!! The police have asked that any shop that refunds for
the
lights get and pass on names and addresses of the serial lawbreakers
so that
a 60 pound fpn can be issued.
http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/archive/...g_light_fines/

Mrcheerful

Order them on-line and return them under the 7 day rule. Bypasses the
local police and shops completely. I think Oxford students might be a
tad less dim than you.

Do you mean that you regard it as acceptable to subvert the rule of law in
that way - or even "clever"?
Old November 25th 10, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Marc[_5_]

On 25/11/2010 15:28, AlanG wrote:
On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 14:54:33 GMT, (Cynic) wrote:

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 14:41:27 +0000, Sara
wrote:

I'd buy them.

So go ahead and do so.

I felt certain that such an obvious market would be filled, so I just
did a 2 second search. There are entire web sites dedicated to them!

Try he
http://www.dynamolight.co.uk/

Retraction: No I won't! Somewhat foolishly I had £10-£15 in mind, not
£60-£70. Gulp.

Ah well - perhaps a note to Santa? :-)

A person who does a lot of night time cycling could probably amortise
the additional cost over a few months of saved batteries, and of
course there is the advantage of never being stuck with a flat battery
and no replacements to hand.

OTOH a rechargable torch has almost the same advantages and they are a
lot cheaper. Especially if you buy a hand-held torch instead of a
bicycle light and gaffer-tape it to the handlebars ...

I bought my daughter a set of windup LED cycle lights for about a
tenner. A 1 minute wind lasts about 30 minutes. Quite enough for most
journeys around town.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bike-Front-B...0698836&sr=8-2

I have something like the font light as a handtorch, it's OK as that,
but only OK nowhere near as good a Maglite, but it's certainly no bike light
Old November 25th 10, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
AlanG

wrote:

[...]

It's quite adequate round town where there are street lights and the
aim is more to help motorists avoid hitting you than lighting your way
Old November 25th 10, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Marc[_5_]

wrote:

[...]

I'll take your word for it, it seem expensive for a poor light.
Old November 25th 10, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
NM

On Nov 25, 2:41*pm, Sara wrote:
In article 4cee69c4.9779046@localhost, (Cynic)
wrote:

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 13:03:17 +0000, Sara
wrote:

Now we have LED lights that have a good output for far less power, and
good rechargeable battery technology, ISTM that it would be a doddle
to make a light that runs from a battery (and so is on all the time),
but the battery is recharged from a bicycle dynamo and so never needs
changing.

It is such an obvious device that I would be very surprised if such a
thing does not exist. *You can buy extremely cheap wind-up torches..

I'd buy them.

So go ahead and do so.

I felt certain that such an obvious market would be filled, so I just
did a 2 second search. *There are entire web sites dedicated to them!

Try he
http://www.dynamolight.co.uk/

Retraction: No I won't! Somewhat foolishly I had 10- 15 in mind, not
60- 70. Gulp.

--
Sara

Winter in the park can be a bit of a sod.

Check out the pound shop or Tesco three for the price of two at the
moment (though why one would need three bike lights isn't explained)
Old November 25th 10, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
roger merriman

wrote:

Now we have LED lights that have a good output for far less power, and
good rechargeable battery technology, ISTM that it would be a doddle
to make a light that runs from a battery (and so is on all the time),
but the battery is recharged from a bicycle dynamo and so never needs
changing.

It is such an obvious device that I would be very surprised if such a
thing does not exist. You can buy extremely cheap wind-up torches.

I'd buy them.

So go ahead and do so.

I felt certain that such an obvious market would be filled, so I just
did a 2 second search. There are entire web sites dedicated to them!

Try he
http://www.dynamolight.co.uk/

Retraction: No I won't! Somewhat foolishly I had £10-£15 in mind, not
£60-£70. Gulp.

Best £60-£70 you will spend....
I diverted on the way home , just to find a darker lane I could light up!

how much kick do they have? I have found that the fenix torches work
well, though the beam is fairly narrow it's very bright so for pitch
black nights it allows one to see, plus the same power, keeps cars there
distance as you don't get lost, and any car that cuts in too close will
be in beam....

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com