Rat(Z)

Old March 30th 11, 09:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Frederick the Great

Default Rat(Z)

In article
,
Fredmaster of Brainerd wrote:

On Mar 29, 12:29Â*pm, "Fred on a stick"
wrote:
Fred wrote:
see subject line.

"Well, my 'substantial assistance' amounted to me putting USADA in touch
with a person who had incriminating knowledge about an athlete who USADA was
building a case against. And I actually did this in two separate cases that
USADA was or is pursuing. [...] Honestly, it's a little silly that I'm
getting a reduction in sanction for something that has absolutely nothing to
do with me, but apparently that's how this game is played!"

I'm in favor of the rbr consensus (is it a consensus?) that
the dope cops are out of control.

However, I'm not actually in favor of doping, I just don't see
that the efforts to control it are either effective or entirely fair
at this point. I would still rather that riders not face the dilemma
of feeling they need to dope to stay competitive or get paid.

So although I don't know the details of Zirbel's case, at this
moment I don't feel that riders have a duty to observe omerta
or protect other riders whom they have damaging information
on. If you dope, be smart and keep it to yourself. If you
spread the information around, I don't think other riders have
an obligation to inform on you, but I don't think they have
an obligation to keep your secret for you either.

That's my opinion from outside the peloton. Standards of
behavior on the inside may vary. I won't line up to call him
a rat though.

Maybe one of the guys he traded for chopped him once
and rolled him into a ditch; while the other sold him
the bad supplement.

--
Old Fritz