Some sweet unicycling:}

Old July 31st 05, 06:34 PM
Mikefule

Default Some sweet unicycling:}

I've just watched film of a person about 1/4 my age (give or take) doing
stuff that I can't do after 18 years of unicycling. He may not be the
best in the world, but he looks like he's having fun. I wouldn't choose
to do that sort of riding, but I can see that it appeals to some.

I'm appalled that so many of the responses to this thread have been
negative or downright hostile.

This is a sport we all do for our own enjoyment, and we get excited
about it, and we want to share that excitement. If every time I posted
a story about one of my rides, someone else simply replied that they
could ride further and faster, I would not only stop posting stories,
but I'd probably give up the forum as a bad job. This is meant to be a
friendly space for all of us to share our love of our sport.

And we all know that there are some "elite" unicyclists (and some
self-appointed elite, too, no doubt) but in any sport, the majority of
people are not elite. That doesn't make what they're doing any less
valid.

Give the lad a break.

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

And if you're really worried about looking stupid, you're already on a
unicycle

davis_e74 talking about helmets.

Old July 31st 05, 06:34 PM
xeaza

Thanks I'll rember that

--
xeaza - Try unicycling off a 10 foot cliff
xeaza's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10500

Old July 31st 05, 07:07 PM
DustinMichels

Okay then

IM THE BEST UNICYCLIST IN THE WORLD, ILL CONQUER ALL THE UNI EVENTS FROM
NOW ON!!!

Any negative replies and I'll waste you.

--
DustinMichels - What could possibly go wrong?

-Clink! Screw! Bend! Inflate! Alter Saddle!-
DustinMichels's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10289

Old July 31st 05, 07:54 PM
cyberpunk

Mikefule wrote:
*And we all know that there are some "elite" unicyclists (and some
self-appointed elite, too, no doubt) but in any sport, the majority of
people are not elite. *

Actually I disagree, and not in the way you would think, there are alot
of very GOOD unicyclist, but I'd probably say only one or two elite
unicylist, if any. We just don't have the masses working at this sport.
You see a sport like skateboarding, what people thought was elite, ten
years ago is considered nothing now. I'm looking at some of these kids
that are like thirteen and fourteen, and are devoloping in unicycling so
incredibly quickly, and it makes me exited for the future, its all a
state of mind with these kids, when they see us dooing grinds, hops,
spins, it makes them think ridding is easy, (Because we make it look
easy) And then they progress very quickly.

I just can't wait until we get our Tony Hawk, or Tiger woods. You'll
know it when it happens, and the bar will be set much higher, and all of
you so called 'l33t' unicyclist out there will be put to shame.

--
cyberpunk - Become one with the Debian

The following is the fault of a random google search and catboy.

"Baby Laughs : The Naked Truth About the First Year of Mommyhood"

cyberpunk's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8923

Old July 31st 05, 08:46 PM
Mikefule

cyberpunk wrote:
*Actually I disagree, and not in the way you would think, there are
alot of very GOOD unicyclist, but I'd probably say only one or two
elite unicylist, *

By definition, the elite can only be a few. I deliberately used a
truism to make the point that the majority of us have no pretensions to
be right at the top, but our enjoyment of the sport, and our excitement
at our own achievements, is still valid, and should not be derided.

As for how the sport develops: from a purely selfish point of view, it
makes no difference to me whether there are 10 riders or 10,000 who can
backwards grind the handrail of a lighthouse staircase, or land a drop
from Beachy Head. If the sport gets popular, the cost of equipment
ought to go down, but experience in other equipment intensive sports
shows that this doesn't happen. Instead, the market sells overdesigned
overpriced fashion products to the ignorant, and the genuine enthusiast
may find himself priced out of the market.

But that's a different debate, and I respect anyone's right to disagree
with me.

Let's just make new posters in this forum welcome, and respect every
rider's achievements for what they are. And make allowances for age - a
claim that would be arrogant from me would be merely gauche from a
teenager, and should be seen as charming from a child.

Old July 31st 05, 08:56 PM
cathwood

If he feels good, then he is; at least to him.
Well done.
(You look pretty terrific to me too)

Cathy

--
cathwood - Lunicyclist

A thought is just a thought.

http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

Old July 31st 05, 10:15 PM
Butty

no offence mate but you are a bit crap for 3 years im gliding (more
learning but not bad at it) and i have only been riding for bout 14
months. and isnt that rim/wheel a bit week for jumps nd stuff

--
Butty - bout level 5/6 nd a bit of 7

yer you're right, but only when i say you are
Butty's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10093

Old July 31st 05, 10:50 PM
vanman2004

Mikefule wrote:
*If every time I posted a story about one of my rides, someone else
simply replied that they could ride further and faster, I would not
only stop posting stories, but I'd probably give up the forum as a bad
job. This is meant to be a friendly space for all of us to share our
love of our sport.*

But you don't claim to be rilly good.

--
vanman2004 - ...
vanman2004's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9184

Old July 31st 05, 11:03 PM
xeaza

no offence mate but you are a bit crap for 3 years im gliding (more
learning but not bad at it) and i have only been riding for bout 14
months. and isnt that rim/wheel a bit week for jumps nd stuff

Come on that was my first post i had never been on this web
sight and it's not like i've been riding every day for 3 years i should
have put it "I lurned to ride 3 years ago, but i just started geting
rilly into it about a year ago.
There that better?