NAUCC 2005 Highlights

Old August 1st 05, 08:25 PM
Carol McLean

Default NAUCC 2005 Highlights

NAUCC 2005 is now history.

A very successful event, with many people deserving a huge round of
applause for their efforts in making it happen.

Of course the Laynes, the Wood One Wheelers, and the people from Redford
Township worked like mad. It takes an amazing amount of effort to host
nationals, and they came through with flying colors.

Many others also bring their special talents to NAUCC -- sometimes in a
hearse. Darren Bedford and the Canadian crew provided everyone with fun
events, including the crazy flaming puck hockey, the awesome Defect
premier, and even coloring contests for kids of all ages. The
door-decorating contest was a big hit, too.

Our Uni dot com folks also add a lot to the event, dragging along a
truckload of equipment. They're always willing to answer requests for
tires, cranks, pedals, seatposts (etc. etc.). Amy and John Drummond are
definitely a highlight.

There are of course many others. Feel free to hop in and add to the
list.

For me personally, the event was a huge success! I met so many terrific
people -- Bill, Cassie, Nick, Chris, Chad, Jodie, Emily, Sarah, Jeffrey,
Kaori, Zack, Jeff, a whole bunch more, and Eddie who talks funny.

I got to see and hang out with riders and friends that I've met over the
last few years -- Scott & Jody, Alan, John & Jacquie, Marti and crew,
Carol & Tom, Kathy, Wendy, Marcus, David, and many more. It's better
than a family reunion, because we all share a common interest.

No one can say we don't have a wide range of events at NAUCC. With
everything from hockey, basketball, racing, muni, and trials to artistic
individual, pairs, clubs, groups, parade and more, it's just about
impossible not to find your niche in the uni community.

And so a well-deserved thanks to all who made this event so successful.
Please feel free to add some of your NAUCC 2005 stories and highlights
to the list.

Carol
Minnesota

P. S. If you weren't there this year, we missed you. We plan to descend
on Memphis next summer, so plan ahead!

--
Carol McLean - Likes Pedal Pushers
Carol McLean's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3302

Old August 1st 05, 10:09 PM
bugman

Highlights for me...

Getting more invovled in the NAUCC. Actually competing in track
events.

Getting more invovled in the USA (Unicycling Society of America)
I ran for Director. I thought I would be the only one, but went up
against like 8 people, apparently the most ever. I just think it's cool
that more people are interested in taking an active role in the US of A.
I expect there will some big changes over the next year, and look
forward to the next NAUCC in Memphis. I did get recrutted for the
Editorial Staff. There are a bunch of us working under Director Tepper,
so it isn't all on one persons shoulders. Look for some great articles
in future issues of On One Wheel. Also expect, 4 issues a year as well
as quicker distribution.

I enjoyed seeing the possible change in the Level testing. I tested
under the new system and was very pleased with the process. I look
forward to using it in the club as we grow. The best part is it will
include skills currently not tested. So if you are interested in other
aspects of unicycling, you will have the opportunity to measure your
progress in very much the same way freestyle unicyclists currently
measure their progress. The current level system was developed before
there was Muni, Trials, Street etc... It makes sense to me that as
unicycling has changed, the way we measure a unicyclists progress would
change. Carol Mclean and her daughter Kelsy(sp?) were working hard all
week to expose people to the system, and training testers. It seemed to
go well.

Oh yea, If I was Carol, my highlight would have been winning every event
I entered. Of course I'm not Carol, and didn't win every event. But
Carol did.

Working with Zach and Jeff as they worked toward breaking and setting
World Records in their respective specialties. I got some great shots,
and will post later. There were many others who did as well, look
forward to seeing the pictures.

Playing Uni Sumo with all the guys that showed up for the workshop.
Getting beat by Sawyer Drummond who is 1/3 my age and 1/4 my weight.
Most every time!

The Bedford Experience and all that entailed. It was fun for me and my
Daughter.

Seeing my wife ride 30 feet, and my daughter Emily make a bunch of new
friends.

--
bugman - Proud member of the UALW

Old August 1st 05, 11:24 PM
Carol McLean

Hey, Bugman!

Well, I didn't win every event. Jody A. scored a big success on the
slowboards, which I fell off of each time. (Surprising how difficult
that event is when it looks deceivingly simple to some of us.)

Skill testing was excellent! Rough count was about 150 new skill tests
passed by about 27 riders. I'm in the process of updating the field
test web site for all those who said they wanted to be listed.

We also trained several new skills testers. Special thanks to my
daughter, Kelsey, and to Eddie K. and Bill Hamilton & his crew for
helping out so much. I'll post the updated list of skill testers soon.

I know there were some riders who wanted to take tests, but we ran out
of opportunities with all the other events happening. I apologize to
those we missed, especially on the last day when I realized we had to
leave sooner than I thought. Please contact me, and we'll arrange a way
to get you tested.

The input on the new skills system was terrific. And we're excited to
get some new testers from other areas of the country, including Florida.

Right now, we have some of the best trials riders around taking a look
at the new Technical levels, and I hope we can post a version of that
for field testing soon. It will be a way for new riders to focus on the
basic skills they'll need for that style of riding and will allow trials
riders to compare their skill level with others.

There's lots to be done yet, so stay tuned and feel free to offer
suggestions. I'll post more later about the new skills system for
riders who didn't attend the workshops at NAUCC.

email: unicyclecentral at hotmail dot com

Thanks!

Carol

Old August 2nd 05, 11:20 AM
rhysling

Carol McLean wrote:
*We plan to descend on Memphis next summer, so plan ahead! *

Make brownies and they will come.

--
rhysling - Pontificating Vigilantly

"That whole design was stupid." -Greg Harper, in a mental disertation
with God on the Cheeta, shortly before his first hub siezed.

"maybe we can just bomb him with copious quantities of unconditional
love and eventually help him to learn to ride" -Guru Gild on the Nature
of Love

rhysling's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/411

Old August 2nd 05, 12:42 PM
Memphis Mud

rhysling wrote:
*Make brownies and they will come. *

If I make brownies, will YOU come?

--
Memphis Mud - Student of GrandMaster 2T

"winter in peanut butter comes turquoise" -Greg Harper
Memphis Mud's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1987

Old August 2nd 05, 01:21 PM
billham

NAUCC was great! My first one and it won't be my last. Memphis, here I
come. With or without brownies. My wife will certainlyu be tempted
with the brownies.

Bill

--
billham - LEVEL 4
billham's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4625

Old August 2nd 05, 02:14 PM
yoopers

billham wrote:
*NAUCC was great! My first one and it won't be my last. Memphis,
here I come. With or without brownies. My wife will certainlyu be
tempted with the brownies.

Bill *

I wonder if we could make the world's biggest brownie in Memphis. Would
be fun.

Chris, good to see you back on the forums again.

Since we were unable to attend NAUCC, we're looking forward to all the
picture postings.

Bruce

--
yoopers - Bruce & Mary Edwards

`_______
/L ,[____],
L---L –0LLLLLLL0-
()_) ()_)----)_)

Munipsycho on the art of raising children: "My job is not to keep them
from falling. It's to teach them to always get back up."

Always give lots of credit and take very little. Seems to make everyone
happier. Conversely, take as much responsibility for mistakes as one can
assume! - Dr. Bobo

unicycledude93: Steve Dekeokeok
unicycledude93: Yoopers
Byrnetown: haha, those are old guys

yoopers's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/31

Old August 2nd 05, 02:46 PM
Tmornstar

Holy hang glider, Batman! Rhysling! Great to hear from you!

YES! I can't wait to see everybody in Memphis next year!

Tommy

--
Tmornstar - Grandmaster 2T

Tommy Thompson
(No PMs. please)
Memphis Unicycle Club
Please vist our web site:
http://www.memphisunicycleclub.com
Tmornstar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/658

Old August 2nd 05, 03:47 PM
billham

Hey Tommy, congrats on becoming Vice President for USA. From what I saw
at NAUCC this year, there seems to be more interest in MUNI and trials
related skills and involvement. I think your interest and involvement
in these areas will be good for USA.

Bill

Old August 2nd 05, 05:23 PM
Jethro

Tmornstar wrote:
*Holy hang glider, Batman! Rhysling! Great to hear from you!

YES! I can't wait to see everybody in Memphis next year!

Tommy *

Tommy, where in Memphis will you be holding the event?

Jethro (former Memphian)

--
Jethro - Pliny's Dolphin

©¿© Bill Hugo