Fall is falling

Old November 24th 19, 06:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
pH

Default Fall is falling

On Saturday, November 23, 2019 at 9:36:06 PM UTC-8, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 23 Nov 2019 18:00:11 -0800 (PST), pH snip wrote:

On Saturday, November 9, 2019 at 7:05:42 AM UTC-8, Joy Beeson wrote:
Fall continues: today I got my silk scarf out of storage. If it gets
cold enough to require a balaclava, I'll have to dig out my old
rear-view-mirror holder. The new helmet adjusts by just turning a
screw instead of messing around with sizing pads, but the oval can be
made longer or shorter, but not any wider.

In a rush to hit the road. No spell check.

--
Joy Beeson, U.S.A., mostly central Hoosier,
some Northern Indiana, Upstate New York, Florida, and Hawaii

Fall is here in Aptos, CA. The leaves are falling and we have had two or three fires in the woodstove now.
Seems like the cold weather and rain are holding off, though.
I really like this time of year and watching the leaves fall.

Q: for John....are the stoplights in Thailand red?
For some reason I just got to thinking, we have all sorts of different customs in different countries: dress, side of road we drive on, acceptable food items....but it seems that we all agree on red lights for traffic signals. I'm just wondering if it's actually true.

pH in Aptos.

Yup, stop lights are red, and train crossings have flashing red
lights, and regular old green, yellow, red traffic lights.

Thank-you for the reply.
I've been to Europe, so I knew there are red lights there.

In Asia, I have been in about every country in South East Asia, and,
if they use lights, they all use red stop lights. In Vietnam,
Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar I don't remember seeing any traffic lights
at all :-)

Ha! Sometimes people drive as if they're aren't any here....guess we all experience that.

As for side of the road we drive on the left hand side, which I might
add makes perfect sense as that puts the driver of a team of oxen (or
water buffalo) on the near side and not in the center of the road :-)

In looking at google I see that the first directive seems to be Pope
Boniface VIII directed pilgrims to keep left, in the year 1300
(Which would seem to put us on the side of the Angels :-)

Which leads to the Brits maybe driving on the left because the C. of E. vs. Pope. (just kidding)
--
cheers,

John B.

Now, do you see any Morris Minors over there? Think I'll take mine out today.
pH
Old November 24th 19, 11:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
jOHN b.

On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 09:50:55 -0800 (PST), pH wrote:

[...]

Well, when one has (one might say) "arrived" and now has sufficient
funds to afford an automobile then one might feel that he/she/it was
above the laws :-)

As for side of the road we drive on the left hand side, which I might
add makes perfect sense as that puts the driver of a team of oxen (or
water buffalo) on the near side and not in the center of the road :-)

In looking at google I see that the first directive seems to be Pope
Boniface VIII directed pilgrims to keep left, in the year 1300
(Which would seem to put us on the side of the Angels :-)

Which leads to the Brits maybe driving on the left because the C. of E. vs. Pope. (just kidding)

--
cheers,

John B.

Now, do you see any Morris Minors over there? Think I'll take mine out today.
pH

Not in Thailand but Singapore has a Classic Car Club and you
occasionally see antique (usually) British cars with the driver and
passengers in period costume.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old November 25th 19, 05:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Sunday, 24 November 2019

On Friday, I turned around at the bridge and came back for my
windbreaker.

I found a map to Leesburg in the notebook pocket. I haven't been
there in months -- mainly because my name appears to have been dropped
from the mailing list that tells me whether or not it's worth the
trip. Or perhaps they discontinued the mailing list.

(So I duck-ducked the web site, found a place to sign up for the
mailing list, and got a confirmation e-mail. I won't know until
Wednesday whether it worked -- and if I don't get an e-mail the day
before Thanksgiving, that doesn't necessarily mean I'm not on the
list.)

I mapped out a seventeen-mile ride for Friday, but got a late start
and wasn't sure I'd make it before curfew, not to mention that the
first place to eat along the way is only a couple of miles from home.
Lunch at three or four does not appeal. As it was, it was after one
when I got to Culver's. I was impressed by their reuben on my
previous visit, so I bought another, and was underwhelmed. I think
what impressed me on the first trip was that it actually *was* a
reuben. McAllister's serves a very nice corned-beef on rye, but it
doesn't even think about being a reuben, despite being advertised as a
"reuben" on the menu.

Back to the advancing fall:

The silk dupiona scarf is still enough. I thought it was a yard
square, but I just measured it and it's an inch shy of a meter. I
fold it four layers thick.

Then I looked on my scarf hanger and the lambswool ear warmer I plan
to wear under it later in the season isn't there. This upsets me; I
have other wool scarves, but I've had that one since I was young
enough to tie it under my chin instead of pinning it, and its
bright-red color once saved me from lying in a ditch for several
hours.

I hope it's in a mending basket somewhere.

Or I may have put it into a cedar chest.

--
Joy Beeson

Old November 25th 19, 05:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/24/2019 5:32 PM, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 09:50:55 -0800 (PST), pH wrote:

Now, do you see any Morris Minors over there? Think I'll take mine out today.
pH

Not in Thailand but Singapore has a Classic Car Club and you
occasionally see antique (usually) British cars with the driver and
passengers in period costume.

During a bike tour in France a few years ago, we were passed on the road
by some sort of antique car club. These were not the Model A Fords we
occasionally see around here, and which a friend of mine owns. The cars
were much earlier (probably 1910 - 1920) and, to our eyes, very exotic.
I remember some of the drivers were in the old car coats, caps and
goggles. It was an unexpected and fun encounter!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 25th 19, 05:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/24/2019 11:13 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

Then I looked on my scarf hanger and the lambswool ear warmer I plan
to wear under it later in the season isn't there. This upsets me; I
have other wool scarves, but I've had that one since I was young
enough to tie it under my chin instead of pinning it, and its
bright-red color once saved me from lying in a ditch for several
hours.

About the scarves: Remember Isadora Duncan, and be careful out there!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 25th 19, 05:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
jOHN b.

On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 23:25:44 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 11/24/2019 5:32 PM, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 09:50:55 -0800 (PST), pH wrote:

Now, do you see any Morris Minors over there? Think I'll take mine out today.
pH

Not in Thailand but Singapore has a Classic Car Club and you
occasionally see antique (usually) British cars with the driver and
passengers in period costume.

During a bike tour in France a few years ago, we were passed on the road
by some sort of antique car club. These were not the Model A Fords we
occasionally see around here, and which a friend of mine owns. The cars
were much earlier (probably 1910 - 1920) and, to our eyes, very exotic.
I remember some of the drivers were in the old car coats, caps and
goggles. It was an unexpected and fun encounter!

I'm sure that there must be similar clubs in the U.S. as I remember
when I was stationed in California - don't remember what Base - I
drove into the Base Exchange parking lot one day and there was a Model
A Roadster with a rumble seat. The first car I remember my parents
having :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old November 28th 19, 04:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

A winter tip: put tights on before putting calf-high socks on. The
tights give socks something to cling to so they don't settle down
around your ankes.

Less cheerfully, I've now remembered that wearing tights touches off
the neurodermatitis on my shins. Doesn't matter what fiber; it must
just be pressure reading as scratching. It doesn't start until after
I take the tights off, thank goodness.

I'd forgotten that I have neurodermatitis, so the first time it
re-appeared, I raked my nails over my shin instead of rubbing with
witch hazel. Explosive itch! I did remember not to scratch myself
bloody.

Tomorrow we are going to drive two hours, probably arriving at noon,
visit until four o'clock, then drive back, ending with driving half an
hour in civil twilight, and the last quarter hour in nautical
twilight.

This used to be a lot more fun.

I'm taking devilled eggs, three kinds of pickles that I made last
summer, Aldi's Christmas truffles, and a St. Annne's cheeseball that I
bought at Zales Pharmacy. Everybody seems to have a freezer of St.
Anne's cheesballs, even Sherman & Lynn's.

I just Google-map streetviewed. St. Anne's is a really-neat-looking
church building; I must glance to my left the next time I come home by
West Market Street. That end of Market hasn't been rendered League
Against Bicycling "bike friendly" yet, so I can still use it.

--
Joy Beeson
Old November 29th 19, 01:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

On Wed, 27 Nov 2019 22:13:29 -0500, Joy Beeson
wrote:

Tomorrow we are going to drive two hours, probably arriving at noon,
visit until four o'clock, then drive back, ending with driving half an
hour in civil twilight, and the last quarter hour in nautical
twilight.

We left at half-past three and got home while it was still light
enough to see.

I brought back more food than I took. I left two jars of pickles on
the table, but put the sweet pickles and the cheeseball back into our
cooler. Maybe four devilled eggs were left for the late-comers -- we
left before the father of the grandchildren got off work.

I discovered that when Mom was in nursing school, Methodist Hospital
sent report cards to Grandfather. She scored 100 in tuberculosis. The
questions for some of her essay tests were also in the envelope my
nephew found while cleaning his mother's house, which had also been my
mother's house. I hope they gave Mom all day to answer them!

--
Joy Beeson

Old December 14th 19, 04:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

A sign that fall, while still here is almost over:

As I was pulling out of my driveway on Wednesday, I'm pretty sure that
I saw a leaf-sucker with a snowplow blade on it turn into Columbia.

Old December 17th 19, 04:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

The season marches on. Yesterday I wore my alpaca shawl for the first
time.

But that's partly because we were going to dinner and a play after
church, and I didn't want to wear a long dress.

Today I was in such a hurry to get to the lawyer's office soon enough
to get back before time to put the pizza in the oven that I forgot my
coat, and didn't mind a bit despite the snow on the ground. When I
stopped for butter on the way back, I parked in a far corner of the
lot, and still didn't mind having no coat. But I was glad that I had
a hat in my purse.

The snow isn't going to stick. It fell Sunday night and was at least
half gone by sunset today.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/
The above message is a Usenet post.

Look pedals falling apart Duane[_3_] Techniques 35 August 5th 17 04:27 PM
Anyone Falling For It? Nuxx Bar UK 0 February 23rd 09 12:12 AM
Not falling over on ice innes Unicycling 8 January 1st 06 06:17 PM
SPDs and falling off! Keith Midgley UK 29 October 16th 05 07:57 PM
KH seat falling apart pete66 Unicycling 3 August 3rd 04 06:39 PM