A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » Regional Cycling » UK
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

The drivers stopped by police in Hull and East Yorkshire this week



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old May 25th 20, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11,574
Default The drivers stopped by police in Hull and East Yorkshire thisweek

On 25/05/2020 23:05, TMS320 wrote:
On 25/05/2020 22:34, Simon Mason wrote:

QUOTE: Police have clocked a motorist speeding at 120mph on the M62...
...* which is 50mph over the 70mph speed limit.

"One driver was caught doing 116mph in a 60mph limit – almost double
the speed limit


I always wonder why it is necessary to embellish stories like this.
Though, given the way journalists (particularly the BBC) love to show
off their prowess with a calculator, I am surprised they haven't given
it as a percentage.


Just be grateful they've kept it in mph.

When the BBC reports any measurement of distance, they like to use
metric as first choice and imperial measures (the only ones with any
official status in the UK) as the dowdy runner-up.

I blame those trendy teachers at Holland Park Comp in the 70s and 80s.
Ads
  #22  
Old May 26th 20, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,547
Default The drivers stopped by police in Hull and East Yorkshire thisweek

On 25/05/2020 23:45, JNugent wrote:
On 25/05/2020 21:45, TMS320 wrote:
On 24/05/2020 20:59, JNugent wrote:
On 24/05/2020 14:09, TMS320 wrote:
On 24/05/2020 12:40, JNugent wrote:
*
https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news...e-week-4159763

The people behind the wheels of those vehicles will soon be cyclists
(if they're not already).

It'll be all they're qualified for. And it could, on reflection,
explain a few things.

But any rule breaking will be an irritation, not a danger. Which
makes a difference.

Tell that to the bereaved relatives of the pedestrians.


Given the courts have very restricted punishments at their disposal to
drivers that kill, I expect turning the perpetrator into an irritant
is probably sometimes the best the relatives can hope for.


We were referring, of course, to cyclists who kill.


I am looking at statistics. What are you looking at?

I bet you'll try to get away bwith the old, old, lie, that cyclists
never hurt anyone.


You're still in denial about putting your convenience above the safety
of others.
  #23  
Old May 26th 20, 12:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,547
Default The drivers stopped by police in Hull and East Yorkshire thisweek

On 25/05/2020 23:50, JNugent wrote:
On 25/05/2020 23:05, TMS320 wrote:
On 25/05/2020 22:34, Simon Mason wrote:

QUOTE: Police have clocked a motorist speeding at 120mph on the
M62... ... which is 50mph over the 70mph speed limit.

"One driver was caught doing 116mph in a 60mph limit – almost
double the speed limit


I always wonder why it is necessary to embellish stories like this.
Though, given the way journalists (particularly the BBC) love to
show off their prowess with a calculator, I am surprised they
haven't given it as a percentage.


Just be grateful they've kept it in mph.


My view is that it is daft that roads are still measured in miles.
Australia and New Zealand converted properly.

When the BBC reports any measurement of distance, they like to use
metric as first choice and imperial measures (the only ones with any
official status in the UK) as the dowdy runner-up.


Quite right too (except where we still keep old measures - as above).

I blame those trendy teachers at Holland Park Comp in the 70s and
80s.


I lived in metric land as a child. Yet in the class for ex-pat children
we still had to wade through tedious conversions between loads of weird
imperial units.
  #24  
Old May 26th 20, 01:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11,574
Default The drivers stopped by police in Hull and East Yorkshire thisweek

On 26/05/2020 00:03, TMS320 wrote:
On 25/05/2020 23:45, JNugent wrote:
On 25/05/2020 21:45, TMS320 wrote:
On 24/05/2020 20:59, JNugent wrote:
On 24/05/2020 14:09, TMS320 wrote:
On 24/05/2020 12:40, JNugent wrote:
*
https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news...e-week-4159763

The people behind the wheels of those vehicles will soon be cyclists
(if they're not already).

It'll be all they're qualified for. And it could, on reflection,
explain a few things.

But any rule breaking will be an irritation, not a danger. Which
makes a difference.

Tell that to the bereaved relatives of the pedestrians.

Given the courts have very restricted punishments at their disposal
to drivers that kill, I expect turning the perpetrator into an
irritant is probably sometimes the best the relatives can hope for.


We were referring, of course, to cyclists who kill.


I am looking at statistics. What are you looking at?


Cyclist who kill (and injure).

I knew you wouldn't want to be looking at that, for some reason.

I bet you'll try to get away bwith the old, old, lie, that cyclists
never hurt anyone.


You're still in denial about putting your convenience above the safety
of others.


I threaten no-one's safety. I do not ignore red traffic lights and I do
not travel along footways unless on foot. Except in exceptionally rare
cases of on the spot error, I comply with one-way working.

  #25  
Old May 26th 20, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,547
Default The drivers stopped by police in Hull and East Yorkshire thisweek

On 26/05/2020 01:31, JNugent wrote:
On 26/05/2020 00:03, TMS320 wrote:
On 25/05/2020 23:45, JNugent wrote:
On 25/05/2020 21:45, TMS320 wrote:
On 24/05/2020 20:59, JNugent wrote:
On 24/05/2020 14:09, TMS320 wrote:
On 24/05/2020 12:40, JNugent wrote:
*
https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news...e-week-4159763

The people behind the wheels of those vehicles will soon be cyclists
(if they're not already).

It'll be all they're qualified for. And it could, on reflection,
explain a few things.

But any rule breaking will be an irritation, not a danger. Which
makes a difference.

Tell that to the bereaved relatives of the pedestrians.

Given the courts have very restricted punishments at their disposal
to drivers that kill, I expect turning the perpetrator into an
irritant is probably sometimes the best the relatives can hope for.

We were referring, of course, to cyclists who kill.


I am looking at statistics. What are you looking at?


Cyclist who kill (and injure).


I expect you could name every one.

I knew you wouldn't want to be looking at that, for some reason.


I bet you'll try to get away bwith the old, old, lie, that cyclists
never hurt anyone.


You're still in denial about putting your convenience above the safety
of others.


I threaten no-one's safety. I do not ignore red traffic lights and I do
not travel along footways unless on foot. Except in exceptionally rare
cases of on the spot error, I comply with one-way working.


Which confirms how you're in denial about your contribution to danger.
  #26  
Old May 26th 20, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kelly[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 269
Default The drivers stopped by police in Hull and East Yorkshire this week

JNugent wrote:

On 25/05/2020 14:28, Kelly wrote:

[ ... ]

I don't doubt some of the 'new cyclists' will indeed be previous
cyclists who thought they had graduated forever to becoming car
drivers but it was eventually found to be shown that they were not
responsible and capable enough to be allowed to drive such powerful
motor driven machines...


... and so could only be trusted with bicycles*, given their levels of
skill and sociopathy.

You won't find me in much disagreement with you on that.


Well, I believe I did say just about as much... and more.

[* Even that is only because the law effectively has to trust them with
bicycles.]


That's the law for you, not only written to protect our general safety
but also to ensure the rights of individuals. If some people can not
even be trusted with bicycles, however, there are yet further laws to
deal with them.

I guess there will always be people who think existing laws aren't
being enforced enough, or that new laws need to be added, to improve
given situations. But given how people differ so much in their worldly
views you are never going to please all the people all the time, are
you?

  #27  
Old May 26th 20, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pamela
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 459
Default The drivers stopped by police in Hull and East Yorkshire this week

On 08:34 26 May 2020, TMS320 said:

On 26/05/2020 01:31, JNugent wrote:
On 26/05/2020 00:03, TMS320 wrote:
On 25/05/2020 23:45, JNugent wrote:
On 25/05/2020 21:45, TMS320 wrote:
On 24/05/2020 20:59, JNugent wrote:
On 24/05/2020 14:09, TMS320 wrote:
On 24/05/2020 12:40, JNugent wrote:
*
https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news...ast-yorkshire-

news/dri
vers-stopped-humberside-police-week-4159763

The people behind the wheels of those vehicles will soon be
cyclists (if they're not already).

It'll be all they're qualified for. And it could, on reflection,
explain a few things.

But any rule breaking will be an irritation, not a danger. Which
makes a difference.

Tell that to the bereaved relatives of the pedestrians.

Given the courts have very restricted punishments at their disposal
to drivers that kill, I expect turning the perpetrator into an
irritant is probably sometimes the best the relatives can hope for.

We were referring, of course, to cyclists who kill.

I am looking at statistics. What are you looking at?


Cyclist who kill (and injure).


I expect you could name every one.

I knew you wouldn't want to be looking at that, for some reason.


I bet you'll try to get away bwith the old, old, lie, that cyclists
never hurt anyone.


You're still in denial about putting your convenience above the safety
of others.


I threaten no-one's safety. I do not ignore red traffic lights and I do
not travel along footways unless on foot. Except in exceptionally rare
cases of on the spot error, I comply with one-way working.


Which confirms how you're in denial about your contribution to danger.


Could you kindly describe exactly which of Nugent's contributions to
danger, if any, you have in mind.
  #28  
Old May 26th 20, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,504
Default The drivers stopped by police in Hull and East Yorkshire this week

On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 10:56:54 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 25/05/2020 21:54, Simon Mason wrote:
On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 9:45:09 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:

Given the courts have very restricted punishments at their disposal to
drivers that kill, I expect turning the perpetrator into an irritant is
probably sometimes the best the relatives can hope for.


How many innocent people do UK drivers kill every day now - is it 7 or 8?


800 pedestrians a year. 3800 KSI.


Whereas cyclists kill 0-1 people every year, usually people who walk into the road in front of one.
  #29  
Old May 26th 20, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11,574
Default The drivers stopped by police in Hull and East Yorkshire thisweek

On 26/05/2020 11:15, Pamela wrote:
On 08:34 26 May 2020, TMS320 said:

On 26/05/2020 01:31, JNugent wrote:
On 26/05/2020 00:03, TMS320 wrote:
On 25/05/2020 23:45, JNugent wrote:
On 25/05/2020 21:45, TMS320 wrote:
On 24/05/2020 20:59, JNugent wrote:
On 24/05/2020 14:09, TMS320 wrote:
On 24/05/2020 12:40, JNugent wrote:
Â*
https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news...ast-yorkshire-

news/dri
vers-stopped-humberside-police-week-4159763

The people behind the wheels of those vehicles will soon be
cyclists (if they're not already).

It'll be all they're qualified for. And it could, on reflection,
explain a few things.

But any rule breaking will be an irritation, not a danger. Which
makes a difference.

Tell that to the bereaved relatives of the pedestrians.

Given the courts have very restricted punishments at their disposal
to drivers that kill, I expect turning the perpetrator into an
irritant is probably sometimes the best the relatives can hope for.

We were referring, of course, to cyclists who kill.

I am looking at statistics. What are you looking at?

Cyclist who kill (and injure).


I expect you could name every one.

I knew you wouldn't want to be looking at that, for some reason.


I bet you'll try to get away bwith the old, old, lie, that cyclists
never hurt anyone.

You're still in denial about putting your convenience above the safety
of others.

I threaten no-one's safety. I do not ignore red traffic lights and I do
not travel along footways unless on foot. Except in exceptionally rare
cases of on the spot error, I comply with one-way working.


Which confirms how you're in denial about your contribution to danger.


Could you kindly describe exactly which of Nugent's contributions to
danger, if any, you have in mind.


Don't be daft. He's as likely to do that as he is to condemn his own
footway cycling or the episodes where he screams at pedestrians to get
out of the effin' way, into the road and OFF THE PAVEMENT!
  #30  
Old May 27th 20, 08:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,547
Default The drivers stopped by police in Hull and East Yorkshire thisweek

On 26/05/2020 11:15, Pamela wrote:
On 08:34 26 May 2020, TMS320 said:

On 26/05/2020 01:31, JNugent wrote:
On 26/05/2020 00:03, TMS320 wrote:
On 25/05/2020 23:45, JNugent wrote:
On 25/05/2020 21:45, TMS320 wrote:
On 24/05/2020 20:59, JNugent wrote:
On 24/05/2020 14:09, TMS320 wrote:
On 24/05/2020 12:40, JNugent wrote:
Â*
https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news...ast-yorkshire-

news/dri
vers-stopped-humberside-police-week-4159763

The people behind the wheels of those vehicles will soon be
cyclists (if they're not already).

It'll be all they're qualified for. And it could, on reflection,
explain a few things.

But any rule breaking will be an irritation, not a danger. Which
makes a difference.

Tell that to the bereaved relatives of the pedestrians.

Given the courts have very restricted punishments at their disposal
to drivers that kill, I expect turning the perpetrator into an
irritant is probably sometimes the best the relatives can hope for.

We were referring, of course, to cyclists who kill.

I am looking at statistics. What are you looking at?

Cyclist who kill (and injure).


I expect you could name every one.

I knew you wouldn't want to be looking at that, for some reason.


I bet you'll try to get away bwith the old, old, lie, that cyclists
never hurt anyone.

You're still in denial about putting your convenience above the safety
of others.

I threaten no-one's safety. I do not ignore red traffic lights and I do
not travel along footways unless on foot. Except in exceptionally rare
cases of on the spot error, I comply with one-way working.


Which confirms how you're in denial about your contribution to danger.


Could you kindly describe exactly which of Nugent's contributions to
danger, if any, you have in mind.


My definition of danger to pedestrians is that 3800 a year are KSId by
drivers. There can be no other metric.

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
31 drivers have been pulled over by police in Hull Simon Mason[_6_] UK 2 October 17th 19 12:07 PM
Stopped by the Police CoreTechs Unicycling 59 November 23rd 07 09:08 AM
60% of drivers give false details when stopped. spindrift UK 87 November 27th 06 03:31 PM
Tour of Yorkshire England, 2005. Yorkshire Dales and Yorkshire Moors. [email protected] Rides 1 June 22nd 05 11:00 AM
A cycletour of Yorkshire, Yorkshire Dales and Yorkshire Moors, 2005. [email protected] UK 1 June 13th 05 10:51 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.