Stolen bikes - Police/ sheriff's database

Old March 25th 07, 12:30 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Dude1000

Default Stolen bikes - Police/ sheriff's database

Database
http://www.juststolen.net/index.htm
PCWORLD article
http://blogs.pcworld.com/tipsandtwea...es/003279.html

Imagine this: On a dreary Monday morning you board the train into work
with your laptop for the start of yet another long work week. As the
train pulls into your station you sleepily stand up and dash out the
door for the platform along with dozens of other commuters. But wait!
You're missing something. You forgot your laptop on the train! You
rush back inside the train before the doors close and look frantically
under your seat. But your briefcase with your laptop is nowhere to be
found!

This situation is more prevalent than you may think. In 2003 there
were more than 600,000 laptops stolen (Safeware Insurance, 2003
report). That's more than 1,640 laptops stolen every single day.And to
compound the problem, even if the police were to find the thief and
recover your laptop, they have almost no idea who owns it or how to
get it back to you! Why? Because you never wrote down the serial
numbers and the paperwork accompanying it is long gone. You filed a
police report, but with no serial number to report, your laptop could
be stored away in some police evidence room with thousands of others
just like it across the state or across the country, never to be
returned to you again.

That's where JustStolen.net comes in. Our website was established by
Police Officers to assist consumers, college students and business
owners retrieve lost or stolen valuables. The website is a powerful
database that members can use to register their personal property. Any
descriptive information can be entered into the database including
make, model, color, serial number and any thing else you can think of.
You can even upload photographs of your items.

But along with the other great advantages of being a member, there are
two fantastic features about JustStolen.net:
· Once your items are registered, if they are ever stolen or lost you
have all the information you need to give to police. Your descriptive
information about the item has been stored in our secure database.
· But here is the best part: When your item is recovered by police
across the state or across the globe, they only have to log onto one
simple-to-use website to search for its owner. They just enter the
serial number or description of your laptop, iPod, DVD player or other
valuable, and the item's description and the email address that you
entered when you first registered is there for them to contact you!

Your valuable item won't be sitting in some far away evidence room,
because the police now know who the owner is, and they have an easy
way to get in touch with you. It's as simple as that! Your property is
returned and there's no need to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars
to replace it.

And best of all, JustStolen.net is FREE to use; free for consumers,
college students and business owners, and free for all law enforcement
personnel. There is never any charge to use our service.

What are some of the other benefits of how JustStolen.net gets your
valuables back to you?
· There's no need to spend your hard earned money to replace lost or
stolen valuables
· There's no need to fill out time-consuming insurance claim forms
· No insurance claim means lower premiums
· Your irreplaceable items (data in your laptop, photographs in your
digital camera) have a better chance of being returned to you
· You, the victim of a crime, can now assist the police in a
successful prosecution of the thief
· Police won't waste precious time trying to find the owner of
recovered merchandise, freeing up time for crime fighting
· Your member information can be accessed by you from any internet-
accessible computer across the globe
· Police only have to search one powerful database for owner
information when they recover lost or stolen goods

Old March 25th 07, 03:08 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

On Mar 24, 4:30 pm, "spamming scumbag"
wrote:
· Police only have to search one powerful database for owner
information when they recover lost or stolen goods

Yeah, it's called NCIC.

JD

Old March 25th 07, 03:33 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

JD wrote:

Are we on for the subterranean match sprints tonight? Anyone else in
SoCal want to meet us?

Greg
--
Dethink to survive - Mclusky
Old March 25th 07, 03:49 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

On Mar 24, 6:33 pm, "G.T." wrote:
JD wrote:

Are we on for the subterranean match sprints tonight? Anyone else in
SoCal want to meet us?

Greg
--
Dethink to survive - Mclusky

I'll be there with bells on and gears fixed. I asked the usual
suspects and it looks like they are out. I'm still contemplating the
getup idea. I had a secondary idea that is easier, will not be as
bizarre, but is definitely more offensive.

I'll have a Ruination in my pocket that I picked up earlier today.

JDigesting some carnitas

Old March 25th 07, 03:54 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

JD wrote:
On Mar 24, 6:33 pm, "G.T." wrote:
JD wrote:

Are we on for the subterranean match sprints tonight? Anyone else in
SoCal want to meet us?

I'll be there with bells on and gears fixed. I asked the usual
suspects and it looks like they are out. I'm still contemplating the
getup idea. I had a secondary idea that is easier, will not be as
bizarre, but is definitely more offensive.

I'll have a Ruination in my pocket that I picked up earlier today.

JDigesting some carnitas

I'm going to go grab myself some carnitas. I'll be there around 10 with
camera and a beer or two.

Greg

--
The ticket******* Tax Tracker:
http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html
Old March 25th 07, 04:24 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

On Mar 24, 6:54 pm, "G.T." wrote:
JD wrote:
On Mar 24, 6:33 pm, "G.T." wrote:
JD wrote:

Are we on for the subterranean match sprints tonight? Anyone else in
SoCal want to meet us?

I'll be there with bells on and gears fixed. I asked the usual
suspects and it looks like they are out. I'm still contemplating the
getup idea. I had a secondary idea that is easier, will not be as
bizarre, but is definitely more offensive.

I'll have a Ruination in my pocket that I picked up earlier today.

JDigesting some carnitas

I'm going to go grab myself some carnitas. I'll be there around 10 with
camera and a beer or two.

Greg

--
The ticket******* Tax Tracker:http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html- Hide quoted text -

Hasta Rasta, see ya then.

JD

Old March 26th 07, 12:58 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Duncan

"G.T." wrote in message
JD wrote:

Are we on for the subterranean match sprints tonight? Anyone else in
SoCal want to meet us?

We had our own inaugural storm water drain drag races last friday night.
It's hardly rained for three years here but that night it opened up.
Drenched the home made timing devices and burst the banks just as the final
(non-timed) drag was run. The winner had to dodge the rising water.
Still, looking at the photos we all seemed to have fun:
http://www.fyxomatosis.com/news.php?readmore=554
The theme was 'drag'. I expected to get slaughtered on my 60 something inch
fixed MTB but when the drag was shortened to 1/8th mile I had a change of
fortune :-)

Old March 26th 07, 05:36 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

Duncan wrote:
"G.T." wrote in message
JD wrote:
Are we on for the subterranean match sprints tonight? Anyone else in
SoCal want to meet us?

We had our own inaugural storm water drain drag races last friday night.
It's hardly rained for three years here but that night it opened up.
Drenched the home made timing devices and burst the banks just as the final
(non-timed) drag was run. The winner had to dodge the rising water.
Still, looking at the photos we all seemed to have fun:
http://www.fyxomatosis.com/news.php?readmore=554
The theme was 'drag'. I expected to get slaughtered on my 60 something inch
fixed MTB but when the drag was shortened to 1/8th mile I had a change of
fortune :-)

Nice! Looks like you guys had even more fun than us. I snapped this one:
http://midnightridazz.com/viewPhoto....Id=156&pgnum=1

The lineup for qualifying:
http://midnightridazz.com/viewPhoto....Id=156&pgnum=1

Festivities were over at 2:30am. We even had an assist by the meter
maid, first time in my life that a meter maid did something nice. She
was patrolling downtown, saw us in the tunnel, watched for a bit to
figure out what we were doing, then proceded to cone and flare off each
end of the tunnel so the finals went unmolested by cars. The meter maid
was cool:
http://midnightridazz.com/viewPhoto....Id=156&pgnum=1

Thankfully the cops were as cool as the meter maid:
http://midnightridazz.com/viewPhoto....Id=156&pgnum=1

One or two drunks drove into the tunnel but got scared and turned around
after seeing this motley collection of fools:
http://midnightridazz.com/viewPhoto....Id=156&pgnum=1

The awards:
http://midnightridazz.com/viewPhoto....Id=156&pgnum=1

Full gallery:
http://midnightridazz.com/artist.php...Id=156&pgnum=1

Greg

Old March 26th 07, 08:00 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Scott Gordo

On Mar 26, 12:36 pm, "G.T." wrote:
Duncan wrote:

Nice! Looks like you guys had even more fun than us. I snapped this one:http://midnightridazz.com/viewPhoto....artistId=156&p...

The lineup for qualifying:http://midnightridazz.com/viewPhoto....artistId=156&p...

Festivities were over at 2:30am. We even had an assist by the meter
maid, first time in my life that a meter maid did something nice. She
was patrolling downtown, saw us in the tunnel, watched for a bit to
figure out what we were doing, then proceded to cone and flare off each
end of the tunnel so the finals went unmolested by cars. The meter maid
was cool:http://midnightridazz.com/viewPhoto....artistId=156&p...

Thankfully the cops were as cool as the meter maid:http://midnightridazz.com/viewPhoto....artistId=156&p...

One or two drunks drove into the tunnel but got scared and turned around
after seeing this motley collection of fools:http://midnightridazz.com/viewPhoto....artistId=156&p...

The awards:http://midnightridazz.com/viewPhoto....artistId=156&p...

Full gallery:http://midnightridazz.com/artist.php...Id=156&pgnum=1

Greg

--
The ticket******* Tax Tracker:http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html- Hide quoted text -

Nice! I can almost smell the skinny vegan biker/radical b.o.

Was JD moving too fast for your camera to capture?

/s

Old March 26th 07, 08:46 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

"Scott Gordo" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 26, 12:36 pm, "G.T." wrote:
Duncan wrote:
"G.T." wrote in message
JD wrote:
[...]

Add in a little hefeweizen puke and stale urine and you definitely got the
smell down.

Was JD moving too fast for your camera to capture?

Yep, he was just a blur. Literally. I'll post the best one tonight. I was
still getting the hang of lowlight photography when he went off.

I wasn't planning on riding and it's a good thing I wasn't, here's what I
posted on r.b.t.:

"...my 25 year old tires finally gave out in a spectacular fashion.
After doing a ride on the fixed gear earlier yesterday I jumped on it to
ride over to the subway at 9:15 last night. I was heading to the 1st
2nd St Tunnel Drag Races in downtown LA. After getting situated on the
subway at the North Hollywood station, the train was actually pretty
full, and before we got to the Universal stop, there was a sudden and
very loud bang in the car. All the gangbangers on the train hit the
floor. I just stood there looking dumbfounded. But I checked my tires
and sure enough the rear was flat.

After arriving at the 3rd St Tunnel I started to fix my flat. When I
pulled out the tube I found a rather large starburst hole. I checked my
rim tape, rim, and tire but didn't see anything obvious. I proceeded to
put another tube in and pump it up. As soon as I got to full pressure
another pop, not so dramatic this time. Damn, I pull the tube out,
patch it, really examine the rim because the starburst punctures were
close to the inside of the tube, find nothing, so put the tube back in.
This time I only pumped it up to 60psi or so just so I could get home
and examine it later.

However, I finally noticed my problem when I was getting a beer out of
the backpack leaned up against my bike. There was a 5 cm split in the
tire right next to the bead. Thankfully it was the rear and thankfully
it hadn't given out on one of my previous rides.

One thing I know. I will probably no longer use 25 year old tires."

On closer inspection the whole bead is tearing from the rest of the tire.

JD's gotta pop in here with his tire story.

Greg

do police stations still sell recovered bikes? 2nd hand bikes Maurice Wibblington UK 11 September 19th 06 09:23 AM
Stolen Bikes dardruba Mountain Biking 0 July 7th 05 10:21 PM
Police Bikes David Waters UK 14 June 6th 04 10:51 AM
Stolen bikes Al. Australia 3 December 5th 03 02:40 AM
Melb police on bikes! Earhole Gringo [not his real name] Australia 14 August 21st 03 07:22 AM